We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Why does the nightly automatic heal make my network worse?  (Read 17488 times)

Offline bfromdruten

Why does the nightly automatic heal make my network worse?
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:20:15 am »
I have a few questions about the automatic heal. I think there is a serious problem with this process:
1. How can it be the automatic heal makes your network perform worse than before the automatic heal?
2. Why is it possible to manually repair the network after an automatic heal by just healing the `not configured` devices? Seems a bit silly to correct an automated process.
3. Why isn`t there an option to disable the automatic heal?
4. Do more people have this problem?

Thanks

Offline capjay

Re: Why does the nightly automatic heal make my network worse?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:19:32 am »
1. How can it be the automatic heal makes your network perform worse than before the automatic heal?

in what way does it make it worse?

Offline bfromdruten

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:52:39 am »
Worse as in devices not being configured after heal, devices previously associated not responding any more, errors like can't get name. It seems to me a heal should not corrupt a working network.

Offline capjay

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:13:07 am »
do you have a lot of devices? did you give the heal process enough time to complete? before the heal, does everything work fine?

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:40:44 am »
What type of devices? Is it always the same ones? Are these devices battery operated devices? The more details you can provide us the better we can help.

- Garrett

Offline bfromdruten

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 11:28:18 am »
I have 6 x duwi shutters, 4 x duwi switch, 2 x duwi dimmer, 3 x fibaro double switch, 2 x fibaro single switch, 2 x greenwave 6 plug, 1 x everspring AN158-2, 3 x duwi wall controller, 2 x EZmotion 3 in 1. Before heal all works fine, but after heal often a a couple of shutters will fail and the association between a duwi switch and a fibaro switch is lost. The switches which fail are not located at a specific place. In all cases the is another z-wave device within 5 meters. The heal problems don't concern battery operated devices.

The strange thing is a manual heal of the 'bad' devices (one by one) fixes the network!

Thanks

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:29:45 am »
this process (nightly heal) is known to mangle battery devices, I have a vera3 with only 2 devices on it added yesterday and the 2am "heal" killed my 3in1 sensor
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline bfromdruten

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 05:35:05 pm »
In my case most of the time powered devices are corrupted. Battery devices are sometimes corrupted.

@all: does anybody also has problems like this?

Offline frichter09

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:37:12 pm »
I agree on this automatic heal.
You can easily turn it off.
Go to Setup--> Zwave Settings and disable: "Use Vera routing instead of Z-Wave (requires 4.5)".

I have disabled this option and my network is running much much better.
Vera Lite (1), Kwikset Locks (2), 2Gig-CT30 Thermostat (1), D-Link IP Cam (1), Evolve DM-15 (1), Evolve LRM-15(AS) (4), Evolve LFM-20 (1), Evolve LSM-15 (1), Everspring Sensor (1), Intermatic HA02C (6), Intermatic HA03C (4), Wayne-Dalton HA-03WD (2), MCV Smart Switch (1)

Offline bfromdruten

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 06:15:41 pm »
@ frichter09: Why did you disable the automatic heal? Did it corrupt your network too?

Offline frichter09

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 06:53:04 pm »
Nope,
It did not corrupt anything.
I have about 20 devices and sometimes  - for whatever reason - there is one device that has one or two failed polls during the day.
Vera then starts to do the nightly heal. I just think that this is unnecessary - I like to know what Vera does and when. I do not need a complete heal every night or every other night - thereby using a lot of my locks battery....
Thats why I turned it off...
Flo
Vera Lite (1), Kwikset Locks (2), 2Gig-CT30 Thermostat (1), D-Link IP Cam (1), Evolve DM-15 (1), Evolve LRM-15(AS) (4), Evolve LFM-20 (1), Evolve LSM-15 (1), Everspring Sensor (1), Intermatic HA02C (6), Intermatic HA03C (4), Wayne-Dalton HA-03WD (2), MCV Smart Switch (1)

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 04:28:31 pm »
Nope,
It did not corrupt anything.
I have about 20 devices and sometimes  - for whatever reason - there is one device that has one or two failed polls during the day.
Vera then starts to do the nightly heal. I just think that this is unnecessary - I like to know what Vera does and when. I do not need a complete heal every night or every other night - thereby using a lot of my locks battery....
Thats why I turned it off...
Flo

I thought Vera only did heals when it saw a problem not just automatically

Offline frichter09

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 04:36:30 pm »
Hi aschwalb,
yes, you are correct.
So the "problem" in my case is that sometimes Vera has an issue polling a device.
This does not happen often but sometimes. Vera marks the route with an X and there you go.
A heal will be performed at night.

Thats why I turned it off.

Offline samlw

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 06:16:41 am »
I know I am late replying to this thread but I have a similar issue - most of the devices work fine in my house but I have a shed that is about 20m from the house. Looks like any fibaro devices in the shed do not update their routes as expected - yet the everspring plug I have in the shed works perfectly every time. From my basic understanding it looks almost as if the fibaros are not relaying properly.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 07:00:29 am »
This is a case where we would probably like to get a notification from Vera ... Not just an automatic FIX It's terrible to wake up in the morning and find most of your devices flagged in red with a neighbor nodes error on the UI5 webpage.