We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Confusing Wiring for 3-Way Dimmer (GE 45613)  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Wickemu

[SOLVED] Confusing Wiring for 3-Way Dimmer (GE 45613)
« on: July 31, 2012, 06:33:36 pm »
I admit having very little experience with wall wiring; I've had success with 2-way switches but have hit a wall (pun!) at a 3-way setup.  I've attached a picture of the wiring below (the wires are identical on each end of the setup).  Does anyone have experience with a similar in-wall setup and advice as to how to connect to it?  Any information is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:08:56 pm by Wickemu »

Offline kkl

Re: Confusing wiring for 3-way dimmer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:09 am »
Take a look at this web page for some examples of 3-way wiring.  Odds are that you have Option 1, but you'll either need to know for sure where your line/hot and load/light wires are coming from, or be able to trace/test the circuitry to figure it out.  Until you know, you'll just be guessing at how to wire your Z-wave switches.

Offline Wickemu

Re: Confusing wiring for 3-way dimmer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:38:16 pm »
Thanks,  that helps.  Still totally confused, but it it helps me at least get an idea of how to tell what is what.  I made a diagram of my setup in order to help understand it, which I'm attaching.  I'm going to keep trying to understand it but if anyone can explain it simply, that is very much appreciated.

Offline Wickemu

Re: [SOLVED] Confusing Wiring for 3-Way Dimmer (GE 45613)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:34:14 pm »
Just wanted to update and say that I finally figured out the correct configuration!  I'm updating my chart with the proper setup so that if anyone else wonders about it in the future, hopefully it can offer some guidance!

(in the process of making the chart; I'll edit it into this post shortly)