Author Topic: Seasonal suspension of plug-in units  (Read 266 times)

Offline brwill

• Sr. Newbie
Seasonal suspension of plug-in units
« on: December 14, 2018, 07:49:47 am »
It's Christmas, and as in years past, plug-in modules are used to control seasonal lighting and other such things. I used to use X-10 plug-in units, but as with all X-10 devices, I've replaced them with Z-Wave units. Soon it will be time to put away those seasonal modules, but in doing so, Vera is going to be spitting out error messages on a regular basis (can't find the unit, or words to that effect). I would like to 'suspend' the units in Vera, and put the units away until next December. I'd rather neither leave them plugged-in somewhere nor unpair/exclude the units then re-include next year. Is there a 'temporarily suspend this unit' procedure?

Online akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
Re: Seasonal suspension of plug-in units
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 08:45:25 am »
The forum search "seasonal devices" will give you about half a dozen existing threads on this topic, which may offer useful information.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline steve.lawrence

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 05:36:29 pm »
>will give you about half a dozen existing threads on this topic, which may offer useful information.

Unfortunately it doesn't. 'useful information' appears to be limited to : "leave them plugged into a power strip somewhere close to another node." - which doesn't really offer the ability to 'ignore non-responsive units'.

I have a perpetually 'non-responsive outdoor unit' which sits in the box of christmas lights and comes out for only 2 months of the year. It's pretty annoying to have a red thing at the bottom of the page for the other 10 months of the year an a "I know.. I know.. Just ignore it..." option would be nice.

Online akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:01:25 pm »
It's pretty annoying to have a red thing at the bottom of the page for the other 10 months of the year an a "I know.. I know.. Just ignore it..." option would be nice.

If that's all you want to do, then set the 'invisible' device attribute to hide it.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 09:00:05 pm »
I have a limited seasonal setup but my solution was a z-wave wall outlet. It is off most of the year. Beginning mid-November, it turns on when in Home mode, off in Away, Night, and Vacation mode.  By mid-January, the outlet is no longer turned on. I use PLEG for the control logic.  I have the Christmas tree lights plugged into it.

If I were younger with more energy, I would have z-wave outlets for my 2 outdoor outlets. All three would then be controlled by the same PLEG logic. But a single Christmas tree is enough for this old man.

What I may venture into in the next year or so are RGB lights on my 3 exterior light fixtures.  Simple white most of the year. But during the season, have PLEG alternate with Christmasy colors.

Just some ideas.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa