Author Topic: (temperature) Arduino with ethernet shield to veralite  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Mic

(temperature) Arduino with ethernet shield to veralite
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:50:11 pm »
Hi.
    Im newbie with veralite so thanks for your help. I already got some ds18b20 along with arduino uno and ethernet shield on a 1wire network. All i want to do is to monitor them with the vera box so that i can control my fire stove and my pool heater/motor and for security send a prowl notification when the house temp go less then 15C.

Again thanks in advance

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: (temperature) Arduino with ethernet shield to veralite
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:35:20 pm »
If you have this all setup on your network, and it's able to provide the data, then you can probably edit up the existing Weather Plugin codebase to get something that'll monitor it and expose "Temperature" to Vera.

The Weather plugin uses HTTP to get it's data, but you can readily adapt it to whatever other format you're expecting from your setup.

Offline Mic

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:50:35 am »
Thanks i will make a shot, do you know any tutorial? I search on the internet a lot and did not found anything on linked arduino ethernet with the vera box.

Thanks

Offline Vinnie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:35:56 pm »
@Mic

Interested to know if you made any progress. I also have an Arduino connected on my network.  Sending on / off commands or trigger scenes via HTTP requests are working perfectly but have no clue how I can get my temp / humidity data loaded to Vera.

Offline groaker12

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:52:56 am »
I am less than a Newbie, as my VOIP box went haywire, and am waiting for a replacement before I put my Vera 3 in place.

I had an old X-10 system  for basic automation. I used to read temps from a Dallas 1-Wire system. I used an HA7NET converter, polled the bus once a minute, used RegEx to parse out the return data stream, and then used that data to decide to start/stop the fan on the wood stove on the mail level, or start/stop the pellet stove in the basement. I live in upstate NY, and since installing this facility have only used wood and pellets for heat. With the system I was also able to cut wood/pellet costs by about a third. I ran this in Linux and Python, but am unhappily changing to Windows because I am retired and there is much more photo software in W than in Linux.

I don't know if RegEx (Regular Expressions) is available in LUA yet. If you can call a C or Python routine it certainly is.  I have the Python code if you want it.

You mention control you want to control your wood stove. I have a Quadra 5700 with ventilating shafts fore and rear. But sometimes it gets too hot, and a chimney fire is a potential. Fortunately I have three wall stainless chimney. So I only control the fan, not the air flow shafts, or the feed on the pellet stove. This could be done with a stepper motor in all three cases, but I would want to have two failsafes in addition to the control mechanism, especially since I retired to an exurban area, and there are no hydrants. The local FD could use my fair size pond, but the insurance company doesn't want to know that.

Best of luck, and please keep us informed of your progress.

Offline groaker12

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 11:58:01 am »
Also meant to mention that LUA pattern matching is sometimes regaded as superior to RegEx for (relatively) simple problems.

see

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2693334/lua-pattern-matching-vs-regular-expressions