Author Topic: Irrigation Caddy vs. EtherRain  (Read 15973 times)

Offline waynebrady

Irrigation Caddy vs. EtherRain
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:50:30 pm »
Hello,

Finally found time to get to the irrigations and have done some general research on these two products. I understand that Irrigation Caddy came to the market a year or so ago while EtherRain has been around for a while. Anyone have experience with these two? What were the deciding factors that made you go with one or the other?

Thanks in advance!!

Offline rajhouse

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Irrigation Caddy vs. EtherRain
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:59:08 pm »
I'm looking for some advice on this subject as well. Is anyone working on a vera plugin to control Irrigation Caddy?

Offline Fitzy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:24:34 am »
I'll second that. I'd be keen to see a plugin for Vera / iVera or hear from anyone who has had success integrating their irrigation setup. I could use 12v relays etc but I also have a bore so need a pump start relay also so an all in one product would be best to ensure smooth operation.

I did look at EtherRain a while back but didn't like the idea of it only being controlled from their servers / the Internet. I emailed them and they said they have no intention of changing or releasing a different product that will allow local control.

:-)

Offline Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:08:22 am »
Scott's,

You can control EtherRain locally and they have the software on their website. What I have done is I have set up the cycle from the web and just left it running... Also, I have set up a device for each of the eight zone in Vera if I want to run a zone manually. What you can do is walk to the EtherRain and turn a dial or press a button to run a zone or a program and some people have retain their manually system as well as an EtherRain. But I have ever had any issue with my EtherRain running any watering cycles that I think would justify that.

Offline Fitzy

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:15:37 pm »
Scott's,

You can control EtherRain locally and they have the software on their website. What I have done is I have set up the cycle from the web and just left it running... Also, I have set up a device for each of the eight zone in Vera if I want to run a zone manually. What you can do is walk to the EtherRain and turn a dial or press a button to run a zone or a program and some people have retain their manually system as well as an EtherRain. But I have ever had any issue with my EtherRain running any watering cycles that I think would justify that.

@ Brientim

Thanks for that, I've read so many conflicting stories I just gave up in the end as I couldn't justify spending the money only to find out the hard way and end up with a device I didn't want / use.

So, in a nutshell, are you able to walk around outside with your iPhone / smart phone and turn zones on/off through an app such as iVera without any input / changes etc from the EtherRain device itself ( as well as maintaining a schedule obviously)?

Cheers

Scott

Offline Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 11:39:25 pm »
Yes, with a single limitation being when you create the device for the zone, you need to state the time that zone runs for. When you hit on for a zone it will run for that time but you can intervene to turn it off. I previously had a scene for each zone and related those scene to a minimote and that way I had a dedicate remote which covered the eight zones utilising short and long button press.

Offline Fitzy

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:06:26 am »
Great thanks, looks likes might take a second lookout it :-)

Offline Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 03:04:28 am »
Attached is a simple example of how I configured EtherRain

Offline Fitzy

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:25 am »
Thanks for that - will come in handy. :-)

Offline Aaron

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 03:51:35 pm »
I've been looking at this also... I'm leaning heavily to Irrigation Caddy.

EtherRain requires an app to install on a PC which infers it is old tech. No built-in web UI and likely very limited updatability. Interfacing is  probably very limited and definitely custom.

Offline Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 05:58:58 pm »

EtherRain requires an app to install on a PC which infers it is old tech. No built-in web UI and likely very limited updatability. Interfacing is  probably very limited and definitely custom.

You do not need to install the software on your computer if you do not desire to do so. You can do either of three things or a combination.
1. Manage your schedule completely remotely via the Internet see http://www.lawncheck.com/lc_intro.html
2. Install the software was and run from your computer
3. There is an Vera app. As per previous post, create a device for each zone and use Vera for scheduling.

Of course you can also do a combination of any if you feel the need. I did. However, it is not perfect and there can be delays between stopping/starting at times. The interfaces provide very good scheduling capability as compared to a some other sprinkler systems. Using Vera is open to how you want to do things.

You can can get the API but the work is already done. One of the good things is it has not got an embedded interface and therefore, the update are not on the device but to the external interfaces and we have already seen what can occur when there are changes to IE and impact to vera, it can be a killer to devices due to incompatibility.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 01:40:04 am »

You do not need to install the software on your computer if you do not desire to do so. You can do either of three things or a combination.
1. Manage your schedule completely remotely via the Internet see http://www.lawncheck.com/lc_intro.html
Not a good option IMO, I don't want to depend on a 3rd party web service, plus they could decide to charge for all features at anytime.

2. Install the software was and run from your computer
This IS installing a PC app... so it does not mitigate the problem

3. There is an Vera app. As per previous post, create a device for each zone and use Vera for scheduling.
This is only good as long as you use Vera (what if I change HA devices) -- and if you are happy with the massive limitations Vera has for UI and interfacing.

Of course you can also do a combination of any if you feel the need. I did. However, it is not perfect and there can be delays between stopping/starting at times. The interfaces provide very good scheduling capability as compared to a some other sprinkler systems. Using Vera is open to how you want to do things.
This statement makes it seem like you have not developed on Vera or even read any posts... Vera has massive limitations. If it did not, there would be 50x more development on it, and the core MCV code (UI5) might be 100x better.

You can can get the API but the work is already done. One of the good things is it has not got an embedded interface and therefore, the update are not on the device but to the external interfaces and we have already seen what can occur when there are changes to IE and impact to vera, it can be a killer to devices due to incompatibility.
Not having an embedded interface is not a good thing... it is actually opposite of the way modern devices are being created ... modern devices having built-in UIs so they can be autonomous (and having APIs for interfacing , of course)

You should be more concerned with changes to Vera causing problems with Etherain plugin -- that is much more likely then a browser incompatibility with Irrigation Caddy. The problem you are pointing out is a problem with MCV's crappy coding... any half decent coder does not have browser compatibility problems.

Anyway, get what you want -- if it makes you happy, great. I'm getting the device that offers the most features, flexibility no matter what HA devices and/or platforms I use without relying on 3rd party apps/code/websites.

Offline hoops129

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 11:54:53 pm »
Are there any other options if I need 12 zones? THe Etherrain is expandable, but I don't like the idea of a 3rd party website to control it. And the Irrigation Caddy only supports 10 zones.

Offline skelzer

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:39:14 am »

Been trying to troubleshoot IrrigationCaddy network configuration with their support team... after an initial template response, ZERO replies to 3 further emails over a one month period.  Buyer beware, IrrigationCaddy's support team is NON-EXISTANT.  I'd go with any alternative.

----------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:52 PM
To: IrrigationCaddy Support
Subject: Re: [###]

Must admit, the lack of response is extremely surprising... once again.  Any help for a customer with a technical issue?  Thanks.

Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:55 PM

I didn?t receive any reply.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2014 11:00 AM

I?ve confirmed and twice replaced the API Key and Controller ID.  Also, Gateway IP address is confirmed as correct.  Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot #3?

Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 9:21 PM
To: Me
Subject: [###]

A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, ### with the following response:

Hi,

If you keep seeing the Empty Controller message it means the controller is not talking to the Cloud at all.

There are a few known reasons for this.

1. The API Key or Controller ID is incorrect.
2. The Gateway IP address is incorrect on the caddy.
3. Your firewall is blocking internet connections for the caddy.

If I had to bet I would bet on #1
Try re-copying and pasting the API Key and Controller ID again into the controller, save, then reboot it just in case.

Let me know

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email or login to your account for a complete archive of all your support requests and responses.