We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Widgets? Shortcuts?  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Dignan17

Widgets? Shortcuts?
« on: September 01, 2012, 02:24:14 am »
Thanks for your app! It's easily the prettiest of the Vera apps I've seen around, and while I have a couple issues with how long it takes to get to certain controls, overall I'm happy with how it works.

Have you thought about the possibility of making widgets or shortcuts? I would love to be able to add an icon to my home screen (or a folder on my home screen) that launches a scene directly without even having to open the app. This would make for the fastest control of my Z-Wave system possible...

Thanks for the great work and keep it up!

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Widgets? Shortcuts?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:25:58 am »
It is on my list and I have rough code in place. But with the addition of managing multiple Vera units, there are some outstanding issues. The widgets would only display the status of the devices and would require tapping on the widget to bring up the controls. I have no eta on when I will include this functionality. The same for scenes, I still need to work out the kinks with multiple vera management.

What issues are you having with getting to certain controls?

- Garrett

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »
Sorry, it's not a big deal, I just find that it takes an extra tap or two to get to some of the controls. The basic Vera app takes fewer taps to get to stuff. I think it would be a little better if two things were true:
  • you could add individual devices to the favorites list, which it seems isn't possible right now, and...
  • if it were possible to make the interface a little more compact - there's a lot of space taken up by the buttons in Authomation...

Just minor observations... I do think the app is very attractive, though. And I like the horizontal swiping you've included.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Re: Widgets? Shortcuts?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 09:38:15 pm »
Sorry, it's not a big deal, I just find that it takes an extra tap or two to get to some of the controls. The basic Vera app takes fewer taps to get to stuff. I think it would be a little better if two things were true:
  • you could add individual devices to the favorites list, which it seems isn't possible right now, and...
  • if it were possible to make the interface a little more compact - there's a lot of space taken up by the buttons in Authomation...

Just minor observations... I do think the app is very attractive, though. And I like the horizontal swiping you've included.

You can add any device or scene to the favorites list by long pressing on the scene or device tile and clicking on the "Add to Favorites" option.

The space you see for example on the tiles, etc is to accommodate the text as it varies between device type and can cause unwanted text alignment. I try my best to use the what space I have available and also maintain visibility.

- Garrett

Offline Aaron

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:15:56 pm »
My $0.02 on widgets for HA...

I think of widgets in 3 main categories:

1) small widgets for individual devices and events
-- useful, and practical, if only need for a few devices and events.
-- I can see using this myself for Events. Placing 2 or 3 small event widgets that I want quick access to trigger without opening the full app

2) large widget(s) for control of events/devices
-- I don't see much benefit for this
-- basically running 'most' of the app at all times so you can simply swipe your screen to see it. I don't see this saving any time over having a shortcut on a screen to launch the full app

3) status only widget(s)
-- If you are monitoring many devices, security, etc; a quick look might be useful.
-- I've sen these in multiple sizes... sometimes larger widgets to show multiple items is actually more space efficient, just depends.
-- widget also becomes a button to launch the full app.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:35 pm »
The problem with widgets that contain function is that I am limited to what type of actions I can use. For example, dimmable lights can not use the seekbar as it is not supported in the Android widget api's. Same goes for toggle buttons. Only very basic functions are allowed. So this puts me in a hard position.

- Garrett

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »
But those aren't really the things I would want a widget for. I was thinking more along the lines of putting my four most-used scenes on a secondary home screen (heck, I could put a couple dozen scenes on a homescreen with the launcher I'm using). All I want is the ability to unlock my phone, swipe to the screen I want and press one button. It would be extremely useful. I'd imagine that putting a 1x1 scene widget on the home screen would be pretty feasible with the Android API...

Offline Aaron

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 06:49:25 pm »
But those aren't really the things I would want a widget for. I was thinking more along the lines of putting my four most-used scenes on a secondary home screen (heck, I could put a couple dozen scenes on a homescreen with the launcher I'm using). All I want is the ability to unlock my phone, swipe to the screen I want and press one button. It would be extremely useful. I'd imagine that putting a 1x1 scene widget on the home screen would be pretty feasible with the Android API...

I'm with you.... this use would be my #1, in my examples. IMO, the largest and most practical use case... and probably the easiest to implement for Garrett.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 05:14:05 pm »
Yep, same here, just want to be able to put a button on desktop for each most used scene
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline electricessence

Widgets? Shortcuts?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 07:53:52 pm »
Yes please. Widgets! Metro UI too?

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 09:53:56 am »
FYI, it's now possible to use Tasker to create shortcuts on your homescreen for devices and scenes in AuthomationHD. Check out this thread. You can make a shortcut execute a series of commands, and even combine device commands and existing scenes in one shortcut.