Author Topic: Recommend me a stat  (Read 131 times)

Offline cahilj

Recommend me a stat
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:58:35 am »
I'm new to Vera, and I like it so far. I was on Nexia for a few years prior, I'm happy to have much more control over devices and scenes than before.

Some background- I'm an HVAC guy, so I deal with all sorts of brands and features, etc. I have a 2 stage heat pump with gas backup. I also have a humidifier I want to control directly with the stat. I did research before buying a Radio Thermostat CT80 with Z wave module.  Based on reviews and specs I found, I thought it would work for me. I guess I didn't do enough research, because this is probably the worst stat I've ever worked with (besides a Nest). It won't stay connected to my controller, it resets to 70deg whenever power is cycled (versus going back to it's setpoint), it has no external temp sensor (which is a must for heat pump systems to be efficient), and it randomly turns scheduling on/off. I won't be buying another Radio Thermostat.

So, I'm looking for a stat that will do 2 stage heat pump (correctly, using a ODT sensor)/2 stage gas backup, humidity control, and reliably connect to my controller. I don't need to set schedules of any kind. I won't be using the stat in any scenes. My primary need for a Z wave stat is to monitor and set/change remotely, which is why I want all the HVAC controls based on the stat, and not my Vera controller. I can't use any Z wave sensors for humidity or outdoor temp, since the building is steel.

All the "Best of", "Recommended" and "Top picks" websites seem to list the same handful of stats- Radio Thermostat, Honeywell, and 2gig. Is anyone using any of these with the same type of system? I'm leaning towards a Honeywell, and I've seen good things about Ecobee, but I guess there's no fully functional app yet?

Offline Nameless

Re: Recommend me a stat
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 01:39:46 pm »
I'm a former HVAC installer / serviceman so understand what you're going through. I chose a Honeywell WiFi tstat that uses a not well supported plugin to Vera.

I like the Honeywell TCC app for remote control, but it has limits. The tstat itself allows for humidifier and dehumidifier control along with external humidity and temperature sensors. It allows for multi-stage cooling and heating. Unfortunately, humidity is not controllable in Vera with the plugin.

The Zwave version of the Honeywell tstats may provide more Vera integration. Hopefully someone with one of those in use can chime in. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
Re: Recommend me a stat
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 01:59:29 pm »
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.