We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Anyone else giving up on Z-wave? (or Vera)  (Read 6798 times)

Offline aa6vh

Re: Anyone else giving up on Z-wave? (or Vera)
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2019, 10:14:00 am »
I considered moving from VeraPlus to a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with HA and indeed I built out a system (32GB flash card, Aeotec Gen 5 zWave stick) with the latest Hass.io over the past week.  My main reason for considering this is my Yale (Series 300) locks on Vera have a battery life of maybe 2 or 3 months (max) - even locks that are never actually used.  By comparison I have this same lock on a Honeywell Lynx Touch 5100 system and the batteries last well over a year.  There were other concerns as well (sluggish performance on the VeraPlus, and those damned "backups" that run every 6 minutes and fill the log file with junk), but Vera killing my lock batteries is one of my biggest concerns.
-MC

Check your polling interval for those locks. Vera sometimes will set the interval to be too frequent. My locks where wearing down the batteries every couple of weeks. But they were being polled every two minutes (or so). I turned off polling completely for the locks, and now the batteries last almost a year.

Offline jbfoster

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2019, 04:11:46 pm »
I bought Homeseer last May at 50% off for $150. $40 for the Zwave Smart stick and a few plugins at $49 each. Ya it was more to invest than my $200 Vera but I have to say Homeseer has been working fine since May. I have have had a couple issues but they were minor and were quick to fix. No system is perfect but I?ll have to say Homeseer in my opinion is much better than Vera.

I keep an eye on things here to see if Vera can catch up to Homeseer reliability.  You never know I may return one day.  Until then I?m more than happy with Homeseer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jbfoster

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 04:13:40 pm »
Oops plugins were $39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2019, 11:17:12 pm »
The May sale puts most of them 20% off. I checked my invoices.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2019, 11:37:27 pm »
One ZNet costs 50% more then a Vera Edge. Maybe for a Homeseer user this would be a good feature. I like separate controllers instead of a controller that reaches devices through gateways over the LAN or Internet. This would only increase latency.

While I think you are overstating the latency impact as most lans introduce ~10ms or less, Homeseer has an app to slave up to 4 Veras. It isn't as seamless as ZNet but it lets you have a hometroller+4 Veras act as a singular system. And vera edges are pretty cheap.