Author Topic: Is Vera/MiCasaVerde right for me?  (Read 106 times)

Offline chahath

Is Vera/MiCasaVerde right for me?
« on: January 05, 2019, 12:04:47 am »
We recently moved into a new house. In our old house, we had a SmartThings-based HA system that primarily managed lights and the HVAC system. The system was OK, but I ended up not being happy with it due to the following reasons:

It worked. Most of the time. This was the single most frustrating thing. The lights would come on correctly when I opened the garage door about 90% of the time. The rest of the time? Left in the dark.

Because everything was cloud-based, there was a noticeable lag before triggers would fire. Open a door, wait 1-2 seconds, and then the light would come on. (but only 90% of the time)

I refused to put any of my deadbolts on the system since that made me totally reliant on the security of SmartThings cloud infrastructure and I'm not that trusting of young, startup companies.
dltutuapp.com/ 9apps.ooo/ https://bluestacks.vip/

I'd like to check out the Vera 3 system, but am looking for some opinions on how stable and reliable it is. Also, how's the lag between triggers and actual events firing? (second bullet point above)

Lastly, on the off chance someone here has used both systems, what am I giving up by going to the Vera system?

In case it matters, I'm mostly looking to control lights, HVAC, door locks and, eventually, our pool system. Most of my existing equipment is z-wave based.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:44:02 pm by chahath »

Offline Jamr

Re: Is Vera/MiCasaVerde right for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »
I would recommend the Vera Plus or Edge over the Vera 3. The Vera 3 is a very old unit.

Vera will do what you have listed and so much more.

Anything wireless will have lag. As you noted, with ST, there was considerable lag with a cloud based system because it has several points to go to with the cloud and then all the way back to the ST and finally your device.
Vera is pretty good at keeping lag to a minimum but the result will depend on your wireless environment such as, is it noisy? Is there lots of blocking materials and so on so do not expect it to be perfect every time. That is just not realistic. I do recommend you automate rebooting your Vera nightly.
If you want perfection, put in a wired system.