We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Ecobee App Routinely Stops Working  (Read 499 times)

Offline Lakehouse79

Ecobee App Routinely Stops Working
« on: January 19, 2019, 05:13:59 pm »
For the past 3 months, just about every month I have to uninstall then re-install the ecobee app.  The ecobee symbol on the UI goes gray and the temperature stop updating accurately with the ecobee thermostat.  Uninstalling and re-installing is the only fix for this.  Please fix this bug in the app.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
Re: Ecobee App Routinely Stops Working
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:28:57 pm »
For the past 3 months, just about every month I have to uninstall then re-install the ecobee app.  The ecobee symbol on the UI goes gray and the temperature stop updating accurately with the ecobee thermostat.  Uninstalling and re-installing is the only fix for this.  Please fix this bug in the app.

Hello there, the ecobee plugin is not a mios plugin. It is community supported. Member Watou was it's original author for UI5 and I helped migrating it to UI7 and then to openLuup.
What version of the plugin are you using, on what vera? I have run the plugin for years and have never had to reinstall it. Not even once.
One likely possibility I can see is that it is caused by your vera reloading the luup engine while the key is being renewed by the server. Your vera would then have an outdated security key upon reload. This is a stability problem with your vera and can't be fixed by the plugin. It is a security feature of the ecobee API we cannot circumvent and can only be fixed by eliminating the reboots of your vera.
If you can recover only be re-installing the plugin, it would mean that your vera is dying: You have data corruption issues causing the ecobee plugin files to get corrupted.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline Lakehouse79

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 05:09:14 pm »
You were correct.  My VeraSecure bricked a few days after this post.  Have a replacement seems to be working fine so far.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 09:33:20 pm »
Sorry to hear this... unfortunately not uncommon as you may see from my other posts in the general section. The vera hardware and OS setup is not really set correctly by design to do what mios has set for it to do... It is prone to very premature nand flash failure and data corruption by locating all of its frequently used and overwritten files in a tiny partition while most of the flash chip is not allocated or unused. To circumvent this, I would recommend extrooting. (can do a search in the general section). If you run out of space and do not have an external drive, you could look at also my other script about the vera flash partitioning.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:36:34 pm by rafale77 »
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline Lakehouse79

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:41:54 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I would expect to have to "learn" programming and how to do that you listed had I purchased something like a Raspberry Pi and went the cheap route, unfortunately if this is required with this $300 VeraSecure, I will begin looking at different home automation controllers as I'm not interested in anything but plug and play and "thought" with this higher priced controller it would be that.  Especially dissatisfied with the lack of scene set up capabilities without learning how to use the PLEG nonsense, again something that should already be incorporated as plug and play.  Plus the first controller only lasted 4 months and from what I'm reading here, they brick ALOT, and Vera waits until they receive your defective one before sending a replacement leaving you without home security for 2 weeks, not acceptable from my needs.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:29:03 pm »
Yeah, I am with you. Sadly the vera is, even at this price not quite a general end user product. It has a steep learning curve with a lot of tinkering needed to make it work if you want more than the very basic functionalities of a couple of light switches. For many of us it has become a hobby just to maintain it and to grow its capabilities.

Offline LibraSun

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 01:55:53 pm »
Funny coincidence, I just got done posting in the "Ecobee 3 Plugin --> How long does a PIN last?" (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,59088.0.html), about how often I now have to reset the PIN in the ecobee plug-in.

While I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, I am disheartened as to why this might be happening, especially if it's a sign of greater problems to come. I'd like to think it's just my Vera Plus rebooting every day (which it must be doing, considering how often I receive "Down" and "Up" notifications).

Thanks for the detailed info!
Vera Model I running UI4 (Firmware 1.1.1338), died in 2015
Vera Plus running UI7 (Firmware 1.7.2935)