We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera Plus with USB Dongle Vs. onboard zwave  (Read 1498 times)

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
Re: Vera Plus with USB Dongle Vs. onboard zwave
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 04:00:21 pm »
After a bit more research, I am finding out that the onboard ZM5304 is actually a module which includes the SD3503 chip identical to the one in the UZB and the onboard antenna and EEPROM. My problems and slight lag with the network are likely due to the less effective antenna of the UZB stick Vs the onboard vera.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 12:50:47 pm »
I can confirm now that it is an antenna issue which caused my previous problems (except for my aeotec Smart dimmer which, somehow does not want to transfer from one radio to the other and requires re-inclusion), a handful of other devices lose functionality after some time due to some level of signal loss (weaker antenna of the UZB vs Vera) which causes the stick to want to do a heal and then loses them completely by in the healing process. Switching back to the onboard ZM5304 radio does not cause this problem obviously...
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 02:39:19 pm »
Just learned one more thing. When moving back and forth from the onboard zwave to an external dongle, I had 2 devices on my network which did not transfer... They are both secure class devices which happen to be simple outlet plugs and are both S2 security protocol. So S0 works but newer S2 devices don't seem to transfer and need to be excluded/re-included. Zigbee on the other hand does not transfer at all.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 05:39:19 pm »
So I have now discovered that by using ALTUI we can also change the serial port of the zigbee radio. I have tested the HUBUZB from go control and it works. The difference with the vera plus is that it uses a slightly older zigbee stack than the one onboard the vera plus (ZigBee Stack Version:5.4.1 GA build 962 vs Version 5.6.0GA build 1xx). The problem with zigbee is indeed that, unless you can spoof the MAC address of the the zigbee chip, you cannot migrate from one controller to another. I have been testing this stick on home assistant for sometime so now that it is on the vera, I have rebuilt my zigbee network onto it so I can be ready for future failure and or migrations.

My setup has been very stable but seeing the high number of random failures on this forum, some of which I have experienced also, has just motivated to create a backup plan. Both Zigbee and Zwave are now running on USB sticks and I have managed to setup a Vera Plus "emulator" on a linux x64 machine to test various things...

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 10:40:38 pm »
One more interesting thing, I managed to set my zigbee channel to 26 so in spite of the UI saying it ranges from 11 to 25, 26 actually works. Beware though that some devices do not support this channel, though I have yet to have encounter one which doesn't.