We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Mesh networking - need help, please  (Read 1064 times)

Offline cowger

Re: Mesh networking - need help, please
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 11:32:36 am »
Honestly, you might also try using a appliance plug in instead of an outlet.  Those z-wave outlets have been the bane of my existence and I have gotten rid of most of them in my house because their radio capabilities seem to be uniformly bad (I have had similarly bad luck with micro-controllers probably for the same reason).  Basically you are putting them in a jbox in the wall in a cabinet, the signal just isn't going to be strong enough.  Using a plug in appliance model while less awesome looking is going to have a stronger radio and not be in the jbox, so going to have a much better chance of meshing with others.

Good to know that others are having similar results from these outlets.  I did go to the trouble of installing this one in a plastic outlet box (meant for outdoors, I believe), with a cord from this plastic box plugging into an always-on outlet, but that hasn't fixed it.  The outlet is still *just* out of range for reliable operation.  And without it meshing, I get this unreliable behavior.

I'm happy to try a plug-in appliance option.  Do you have a recommendation of something known to work well with Vera?

Thank you!

Offline wilme2

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 12:00:42 pm »
VeraLite.

I was under the impression (could be wrong) that UI7 did its own network heal each night.  Based on that, I was hoping that this "neighbor" thing would heal itself over time, but that's clearly not the case.  So I remain confused...

It does, in theory.  I want to make some comments about the current UI7 firmware, but I don't think they would be helpful - note 7.29 is targeted for an April release. 

If if were me, I would upgrade your VeraLite to one of the Z-wave plus controllers to get better z-wave range.  (You could also do the antenna mod if you really don't want to upgrade.)   I am at my office right now where I have an old VeraLite running some basic functions, but I have on my to-do list to buy a VeraPlus to replace it...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:03:31 pm by wilme2 »
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline cowger

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 11:30:13 am »
If if were me, I would upgrade your VeraLite to one of the Z-wave plus controllers to get better z-wave range.  (You could also do the antenna mod if you really don't want to upgrade.)   I am at my office right now where I have an old VeraLite running some basic functions, but I have on my to-do list to buy a VeraPlus to replace it...

Ah, thank you!  I didn't realize the weakness / deficiency of the VeraLite.  I was also unaware of the antenna mod until you mentioned it, so... I just ordered the parts for that and will try that next!  It does look easy and would seem to be a reasonable fix for this.  I'll let you guys know!

Bryan

Offline steve.lawrence

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 01:04:29 pm »

Ah, thank you!  I didn't realize the weakness / deficiency of the VeraLite.  I was also unaware of the antenna mod until you mentioned it, so... I just ordered the parts for that and will try that next!  It does look easy and would seem to be a reasonable fix for this.  I'll let you guys know!

Bryan

Anecdotally : bollocks.

I replaced a vera lite/ UI5 with a Vera Plus / UI7 and what used to work perfectly fine for 4-5 years under Lite / UI5 now has me with 'unable to connect' with sockets ( yes the in-wall ones) the Lite was always 100% okay with. And an outdoor socket which sits  less than 6 inches from an indoor one (just different facing sockets on a garage wall). doesn't work.

Other scene controllers mysteriously 'gave up the ghost' and are either laggy to the point of pointless (30-45 seconds for a light controller to talk to the hub and turn out the light) or don't work at all.

I get that Plus is 'better than Lite' - but my experience is otherwise.

Offline blackiyto

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 05:12:57 pm »
I tried to go to Device Options and hit "Update Neighbor Nodes" - it gives me a "Received Empty Response" message.