Author Topic: Any news on the update 2019?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Dingin

• Sr. Newbie
Any news on the update 2019?
« on: January 22, 2019, 06:46:07 pm »
well its almost the end of January, it would not hurt to give us a line or two on how things are going. i know that from the point of view of the new team its only been a few moths but for us users have been years. maybe a bit of communication would be nice.

Thanks

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
Re: Any news on the update 2019?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 04:12:35 am »
As requested and promised, a public roadmap is being worked on.
We should have the get-go "thisclose".
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline ivx

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 04:34:07 am »
During month or two, there will be only new roadmap or also new firmware ?

Currently even simple things needs advanced actions, for example adding Fibaro Some Sensor FGSD002.
Device finds it, shows how pair it,at the end it appears as generic device and  needs manual editing in "Advanced" to "urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:SmokeSensor:1". Now how normal home user can know that ....

Offline jlind

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 02:08:16 pm »
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news to everyone on this forum, but we all need to be cognoscente of what's happening, given that:

• No plugin developers have chimed in and stated anything about being given a "pre-release" version of the software.  This is pretty unheard of considering most plugin developers are unpaid and help sell their product.  This tells me that if we get an update it'll be VERY minor changes if that.
  • There was no time frame given at CES, not even an inflated one.  In fact what I read was more about the booth pushing their new products than existing.  If you were confident in your abilities at all you'd definitely market it at CES because that's what it's for. 
  • They seem to be getting progressively less informative about what will be there.  Now they're working on a public "roadmap".  Now come on, do you really think it would take more than a couple of hours to produce a document (which they should already have a master of) that states what's available in the next release?  Supposedly their programmers are working off of some organized list, right?  In theory, some of that master list should have a check mark next to it denoting that it's completed and working, correct? 
  • They seem to be working off the EXACT SAME PLAYBOOK as the old Vera when it comes to this forum, yet for some reason we all believe them more than the old Vera about changes and fixes always being "just around the corner".  All of the past updates we got were that the fix/new function was coming in the next release within a couple of weeks.
  • Has anyone been able to find a single device for sale from eZLO, the company that purchased Vera?  That's suspicious in itself. 
  • I still have a LOT of questions about their business model.  He wanted extreme low hardware cost with no monthly charges.  Right...plus keep their "largest group of programmers in the business" on staff.  Where will the money come from?  Also, I wonder why Apple/Google's phones are so expensive when this was a viable option?  Good hardware costs money.  Good software costs money.  Having both good costs lots of money.

My Spidey sense is definitely tingling with every comment they've made.  Always super vague and unpromising.  I really do hope that they can produce what they promise (or have really only hinted at) but the facts aren't pointing in that direction.  It really seems like this may be a company that is struggling and just wants to keep its customer base.  Who knows, maybe Mios is up for sale again and it's just being flipped?

@Melih - 1 month out from your first production release...can you give us any definitive changes?  For instance screenshots with programming (and/or, if/else logic), working functionality (Google), ANYTHING?  Even specs on stability improvements from your test lab if all you're working on is underlying stability?  If you truly ARE confident then simply put your name on the line for what your group of programmers have done and completed so far.  When is development frozen for this release?  When does this release go into testing?  Are you going to allow us to test and for how long?  Are you holding out because it WILL NOT all be good news (i.e. subscription, no support for older devices, etc)?

Will we get more than a promise or hint  ::)

VeraLite/VeraPlus with UI7, Multiple GE switches, GE Outlets, Aeon Smart Switches, Minimote, GE Portable outlets  Apps: (Pentair Autelis Plugin, Weather Underground, Honeywell WiFi Thermo, System Monitor, AlternateUI)

Offline Domoworking

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 03:19:40 pm »

I look forward to reading the roadmap, but I really hope to see some firmware around sometimes (actually I really wish very short time!)
I personally cannot keep building my home automation on a device that is not reliable (zwave device fails to apply user settings, adding a device breaks another one, lua restarts).
From your roadmap I will decide whether or not to keep my Vera plus.

Offline Catman

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 04:49:34 pm »
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news to everyone on this forum, but we all need to be cognoscente of what's happening, given that:

I've worked in IT for 20 years now and more specifically in support / operations functions. So I'm not a developer, but I do understand software delivery life cycles (at least those that are generally regarded as sensible ways of doing it)

Much of what you say makes a great deal of sense. However there are other possible explanations (exactly how possible is entirely subjective).
If the dev team are using an agile delivery model then a roadmap may well not exist.  They would have a backlog and associated artefacts, but that may not really be in any public facing standard (although some of the user stories may be)
I'd *expect* some kind of completed story set would exist, but presenting that to the public could well be counterproductive as it may well be currently *minimum* viable product which will potentially create more dissatisfaction from a consumer base that may well not understand what that means.
Similarly it may well be that the current trunk is not yet fit for testing by plugin community and needs n more sprints to make it worthwhile as a beta.

Like I say, you may think this is an unlikely scenario. It *is* possible, though.

Just trying to put some balance into it ;)

C

Offline Dingin

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 01:39:15 pm »

well its the end of January, i think that is time for the road map or better yet and update!
at least the road map so we know whats going on... share with us!

Offline kendad

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 08:59:02 pm »
I have been a Vera customer for several years now but, I have to agree with many of the points jlind expressed. There is a lot of silence from Sorin and company. Not very comforting on the direction this venture is headed. My other concern is what I see in this forum. When I joined there was a lot of activity and a lot of people who wanted to help make Vera better. People who helped make Vera work with home automation devices when Vera was struggling to expand. People who had faith in the Vera product line because they felt it was improving and there was forum activity every night. Now, I see very little activity in this forum along with excuses and silence from the company itself. I have rapidly lost my trust in the Vera product and am searching for a replacement. I realize some of you will label me as another whinner but, I just don't see anything progressing. Give me something to get out of this funk. Give me something to feel good about. Give me anything at this point. Please tell us why we should continue hanging on when you continue to keep silent.

Offline reneboer

• Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 06:49:39 am »
Some plugins have been introduced or improved in the last 9 months  8)

But agreed, the silence is getting too long.

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 11:09:45 am »
Vera was fun, Ezlo is a joke  :'(
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline markd

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 11:46:03 am »
Vera Control has started  2 Facebook posts/threads since last July and as pointed out above the forum useage is very slow these days.

This doesn't bode well for inspiring  confidence in the new organisation.

Contrast this with Homey, a relatively new company, that has regular blogs, firmware updates and a thriving forum.

Time to look elsewhere to something more 'exciting'...

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 12:12:09 pm »
I'm keeping my anxiety in check. They've bitten off a lot, and it won't come all at once. This evolution is going to take several cycles. Everybody knows that.

What I don't think we should do is give in to such negativity that we poison the well. As they say, "you teach people how to treat you". This community has had little voice and influence with Vera over the last few years. This transition gives us a rare opportunity to change the tone of the dialog and establish a new relationship with the company. I would hate to see us waste that chance by freaking out right now. This is a period of uncertainty for us, sure, but also very much for Vera (which is also recovering from huge cultural upheaval, I'm sure).

I mean, honestly, they have so many opportunities for greatness at this point, due to history, that they can't possibly address them all in one revision. Let's not set ourselves up for failure before we see product. And when we do see it, let's not fail by ignoring what they've gotten right and continuing to endlessly bemoan what they haven't, because it's guaranteed there will be lots of both.

Every step forward needs to be celebrated at this point. I, for one, am prepared to take whatever comes and give it a good, honest evaluation, and then provide reasoned, objective feedback, good and bad, in a way that makes them want to listen. If we can get and keep their ear, and they know they can rely on us as well, we should all be very happy indeed.

And if you can't muster up a happy face, I get it. It's been a long, hard road for many of us, and a lot of disappointments along the way. But if you're still on Vera, then you're still holding out hope for better, so support those of us who are working at it by just tempering your tone a bit. But if you're not on Vera anymore, yet are part of the group that continues to come back to these forums to bash it, well, RIP my karma, but your schadenfreude is pathetic and you need to just move on. You're not adding anything to the dialog here.

Vera dug a deep hole; let's give Ezlo some leeway as they try to set it right. As they do that, let's meet them halfway by raising the bar in this community. It should not be sunshine and rainbows every day, but neither should it be endless damp and penetrating cold. We have an effort to make as well.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:14:41 pm by rigpapa »
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.

Online HSD99

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 12:50:36 pm »
Patrick,

Thank you!

You have provided an eloquent and reasoned post, something that is sadly all too rare in our world today. Thank you for all of your excellent plug-ins, and the generous support that you provide.

+1

Regards,

Steve

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 08:07:02 pm »
+1 from me as well.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline wilme2

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 11:44:38 am »
I'm keeping my anxiety in check. They've bitten off a lot, and it won't come all at once. This evolution is going to take several cycles. Everybody knows that.

+1 for this.  I have spent almost 6 years with Vera, and while there is a lot I would change if I could, my house runs great.  Certainly it took way too much work to get there, but I will be patient and see how 2019 progresses...
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)