We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Upgrade from X10 / LD11 units  (Read 1096 times)

Offline xavk

Upgrade from X10 / LD11 units
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:36:47 am »
Hi Guys,

First post and looking to get into HA again after a tentative experiment  with X10 a few years ago.  Currently planning a new system based on Vera (probably 3) and want to check a few of my assumptions before I buy anything.

I have 3 rooms with LD11 X10 DIN units controlling them (2 rooms have 4xGU10 50W spotlights and one room has a single energy saving spot light) and all three have momentary / rocker switches.  The cabling is a 2 wire system (plus earth).  Once upon a time was all controlled by a Marmitek TotalGuard system (ie the remotes) but that was boxed up some time ago and I've just been using the units as dimmer controls for a few years.  I now want to replace this system and do it properly from the start to ensure good WAF (X10 reliability killed the last system in her eyes).

Am I right in thinking I could have the LD11s replaced with standard lighting MCB's and then add a Fibaro Universal Dimmer to provide the same functionality I have today (plus all the additional options that z-wave will offer)?  Assuming this is correct, would I have to install these in the switch boxes or could I have them fitted next to the MCBs (which is the same cupboard I plan to put the Vera in)? 

Many thanks

Xav

Offline xavk

Re: Upgrade from X10 / LD11 units
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:15:43 am »
Forgot to add, I am based in the UK and very open to other suggestions as I'm just starting out on the HA journey and want to make sure I don't go down a dead end (as I did with the X10 solution).