We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: What did you do with Vera today?  (Read 370672 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: What did you do with Vera today?
« Reply #855 on: June 09, 2015, 01:19:27 pm »
I just have amazon deliver to my work. I'm there during delivery hours and if not someone else is, cameras all around the place.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #856 on: June 09, 2015, 01:28:33 pm »
Wiring around the entrance was too much work. Ended up using a "Ring" doorbell to record movement on my porch. Not integrated into Vera though.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #857 on: June 09, 2015, 04:35:54 pm »
I just received three MonoPrice #11990 Dual On/Off Relay Modules. I plan to use them in a rewiring project to place ZWave control over outdoor floods and camera power supplies.

Right now there are three outside floods on a single circuit currently controlled from a single ZWave switch. But I'm installing WiFi cameras at the flood  locations and I need to rewire so that there will be power 24x7 at each box for the cameras but still controlled for night service of the floods. So the idea is there will be ZWave switching of the flood power and independent ZWave switching of the camera power supplies if needed hence the dual relay units.

The modules are a little low power only rated 550W @ 110v but the floods are all 9W LED units ith a maximum two at any one location so that won't present a problem.

I'll update this once I actually install one in the box.
The module is 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 7/8 so they will easily fit in the outside boxes and wiring is via pigtails with a flying lead antenna. There are additional wires for local control of the modules if needed.  I got them at USD 27.99 each they seem to be a fairly good bargain --- but they have gone up to USD 34.99 today.

The module included easily in UI 5 1.5.672 and creates three tiles, a parent and two child tiles with a ON/OFF button. I haven't sorted out yet which tile does what but they all seem to cause the relays to switch so it isn't obvious.

[Update 20150610]
Some testing has revealed:

It creates three devices (a) Parent Device (b) Device e1, (c) Device e2.
-- Parent Device controls the RED load lead
-- Device e1 controls the RED load lead
-- Device e2 controls the YELLOW load lead

I had hoped that perhaps the Parent would control both but it doesn't.

The relays are not latching so a power failure with a load ON recovers with the load OFF. If a continuous state is required some sort of Last-Known-State latch will be required. In my case I already have this configured with two Hawking Appliance Modules as they also recover in the OFF state; some PLEG logic examines a LKS latch for each in a MultiSwitch and turns the lights back on if required.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:22:49 pm by clippermiami »
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
« Reply #858 on: June 09, 2015, 05:28:01 pm »
I tried with Tech Support to determine why my Everspring HSM02 door sensor that is bundled with Vera only gets about 3 weeks of battery if I'm lucky. The Everspring site claims nearly 3 years!

I have used zwave for some time and am very aware of obstructions, routing, appliances and various factors. I set the zwave settings as recommended by Tech Support but with limited success.

So that's what I did and now to replace two more 2450 batteries. :(

I've read somewhere that if the magnet is a bit too far from the module (in closed position), it could result in a unwanted consumption.

I had the same problem with HSM02. My wakeup interval is 86400 and polling to 0.
Seems to work better (but no battery level in the UI).

I can confirm the magnet is not far enough away, it's quite a small gap but good point either way.

I'm going to re-read through the PDF of the HSM02 that Vera sent me and double check everything. Thanks.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #859 on: June 11, 2015, 10:59:43 am »
I just received three MonoPrice #11990 Dual On/Off Relay Modules. I plan to use them in a rewiring project to place ZWave control over outdoor floods and camera power supplies.

Right now there are three outside floods on a single circuit currently controlled from a single ZWave switch. But I'm installing WiFi cameras at the flood  locations and I need to rewire so that there will be power 24x7 at each box for the cameras but still controlled for night service of the floods. So the idea is there will be ZWave switching of the flood power and independent ZWave switching of the camera power supplies if needed hence the dual relay units.

The modules are a little low power only rated 550W @ 110v but the floods are all 9W LED units ith a maximum two at any one location so that won't present a problem.

I'll update this once I actually install one in the box.
The module is 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 7/8 so they will easily fit in the outside boxes and wiring is via pigtails with a flying lead antenna. There are additional wires for local control of the modules if needed.  I got them at USD 27.99 each they seem to be a fairly good bargain --- but they have gone up to USD 34.99 today.

The module included easily in UI 5 1.5.672 and creates three tiles, a parent and two child tiles with a ON/OFF button. I haven't sorted out yet which tile does what but they all seem to cause the relays to switch so it isn't obvious.

[Update 20150610]
Some testing has revealed:

It creates three devices (a) Parent Device (b) Device e1, (c) Device e2.
-- Parent Device controls the RED load lead
-- Device e1 controls the RED load lead
-- Device e2 controls the YELLOW load lead

I had hoped that perhaps the Parent would control both but it doesn't.

The relays are not latching so a power failure with a load ON recovers with the load OFF. If a continuous state is required some sort of Last-Known-State latch will be required. In my case I already have this configured with two Hawking Appliance Modules as they also recover in the OFF state; some PLEG logic examines a LKS latch for each in a MultiSwitch and turns the lights back on if required.

As noted installing this device creates a "Parent" and TWO child devices "e1" and e2". The "Parent" AND "e1" controls one load, "e2" controls the other load so obviously either the "Parent" or "e1" is redundant.

Is there any way to suppress the "Parent" or the "e1" child device so that there are only two devices to control the two loads? I tried simply removing "e1" but obviously it returns on the next restart.

Is there perhaps a replacement "device_type" or "device_file" that would result in two switches one for each load?

Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #860 on: June 11, 2015, 11:32:53 am »
You can hide a device

local deviceid=10

luup.attr_set("invisible", 1, deviceid)

To make it visible again:

luup.attr_set("invisible","", deviceid)

Put this in your startup lua

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #861 on: June 11, 2015, 11:38:35 am »
You can hide a device

local deviceid=10

luup.attr_set("invisible", 1, deviceid)

To make it visible again:

luup.attr_set("invisible","", deviceid)

Put this in your startup lua

Thanks Richard ... to the rescue once again.

Offline dp0100

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #862 on: June 11, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »
I replaced my wireless doorbell and integrated with Vera  ;D

I used this doorbell : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZH8YRE?colid=1OI9T803J4Y6H&coliid=I2DVBHCOBXPE7J&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl
(Important to note - do not used a lighted door bell as the button push doesn't work with the door sensor)

Used this sensor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Q5CTBE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
Just wired the doorbell to the external posts in the sensor and works like a charm!!

I also added the below - when I arm the device (when I'm not home) it randomly cycles between 3 dog bark mp3's that is stored on my NAS...that way it's not the same dog bark if the door bell is pushed multiple times. Criminals aren't that smart  :D
**going to be adding an ip cam next so I can take pictures when the door bell is pushed**

url = require("socket.url")

local AV_DEV = 40
local LS_SID = "urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Sonos1"

local dogbarks = { "http://192.168.1.13:9001/disk/DLNA-PNMP3-OP01-FLAGS01700000/O0$1$8I2060.mp3","http://192.168.1.13:9001/disk/DLNA-PNMP3-OP01-FLAGS01700000/O0$1$8I2572.mp3", "http://192.168.1.13:9001/disk/DLNA-PNMP3-OP01-FLAGS01700000/O0$1$8I1292.mp3"}
local dogbark = dogbarks[math.random(table.getn(dogbarks))], "RAID"

luup.call_action(LS_SID,"PlayURI",{URIToPlay=dogbark,Volume=45},AV_DEV)

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #863 on: June 12, 2015, 12:26:41 am »
Created scenes involving an Ecobee, Econet Vents so they behave according to the vera house mode.
Vents setup in my home now vary depending on whether my house is heating or cooling, whether I am home, away or sleeping. House mode is also set to night when the ecobee mode changes to "night" and back to "home" when the ecobee wakes up allowing for different vent setups. Pretty nifty!
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline myhomeserver

• http://www.MyZwave.net
« Reply #864 on: June 12, 2015, 08:24:51 am »
I Integrated my Amazon Echo into my Vera system to control up to 21 scenes and devices.

I made a video showing Vera and Echo working together to add voice control to my home

Check it out at http://www.MyZwave.net
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:58:22 am by myhomeserver »
MyZWave.net - See Our Z-Wave product Reviews
(formerly MyHomeServer)

Offline Kmitchel

« Reply #865 on: June 12, 2015, 05:54:44 pm »
I Integrated my Amazon Echo into my Vera system to control up to 21 scenes and devices.

I made a video showing Vera and Echo working together to add voice control to my home

Check it out at http://www.MyZwave.net

Did you use the github code to do this?  I'm looking into integrating my Echo to my Vera now. 

Offline myhomeserver

• http://www.MyZwave.net
« Reply #866 on: June 13, 2015, 07:42:28 am »
Yes, I am running it using the Java JDK 8.1 and it's pretty easy.  I did a little writeup on how I did it, but the github code is key.  I have 21 devices/scenes in there - it wont work if I add any more than that
MyZWave.net - See Our Z-Wave product Reviews
(formerly MyHomeServer)

Offline wilme2

« Reply #867 on: June 16, 2015, 03:48:39 pm »
Last night I added an Leviton EnOcean Occupancy Sensor and a DSC pet-friendly motion detector to my spare first floor bedroom that is set-up as a home theater.  Then today I added the logic to my Climate PLEG to automatically turn-back the heat/AC when unoccupied (Energy Saving Mode on my Honeywell Z-wave thermostat), and turn it back on when occupied (Normal Mode). 

The process is a lot more complex than it sounds, due to wanting to make sure the occupancy detected isn't a pet.  Only a motion detection from the pet-friendly alarm panel sensor can turn the thermostat back from Energy Saving to Normal Mode, but once in Normal Mode the occupancy sensor can keep it there.  Once an hour passes with no occupancy or motion detected, turn to Energy Saving Mode.  The occupancy sensor is very sensitive, the motion detector is the opposite.  By using both, I can get a very good result - even a human napping on the couch in the theater will move enough to cause the occupancy sensor to report periodically and prevent Energy Saving mode.  But once in Energy Saving mode, a cat strolling into the room won't turn the AC back down - it takes a human to activate the motion detector...
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #868 on: June 29, 2015, 04:59:11 pm »
Since it was the day to change all my lock batteries I decided to replace my Schlage z-wave deadbolt on teh back door with a lever lock. If only I had known the amount of trouble that has gotten me in. :P

Step 1: removal of the deadbolt. All went find until I tried to get the actual bolt assembly out. Frozen solid. Finally got it out but bent the in door part so I have to contact Schlage and see what a replacement will set me back for.

Step 2: Install the FE599. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. And here I thought all my troubles were over.

Step 3: Configuring the lock. Great, the part2.schlage.com website with the instructions no longer exists. Spent about 30 minutes scouring the Schlage site with no luck. Another 15 googling and luckily someone had the PDF online. Definately saved to HD now. :)

Step 4: Adding the lock to my UI5 Vera 3. 1st try, sees lock but can't configure. 2nd try with Vera within 3 feet on battery with no network using the zwave button. Same issue. *censored* *Banging head* *censored* Sledgehammer time! Ran a 75' Cat5 cable from my switch to near the lock. Connected Vera 3 to power and network and placed about 8" from the lock. Setup my laptop and connected to Vera and set her to include. Entered programming code - Schlage - 0 and mm, red blinking Schlage light lasts longer this time and finally turns solid green instead of just switching off. Woohoo! Vera sees the lock correctly this time. Left her there for about an hour to let the lock configure properly and we are looking good. Even after moving her back to her normal location.

After this, I decided against replacing the Schlage zwave manual dead bolt on the front door with the motorized one for now. No use in tempting fate again....   

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:01:33 pm by BOFH »
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
« Reply #869 on: June 29, 2015, 08:26:38 pm »
Since it was the day to change all my lock batteries I decided to replace my Schlage z-wave deadbolt on teh back door with a lever lock. If only I had known the amount of trouble that has gotten me in. :P

Step 1: removal of the deadbolt. All went find until I tried to get the actual bolt assembly out. Frozen solid. Finally got it out but bent the in door part so I have to contact Schlage and see what a replacement will set me back for.

Step 2: Install the FE599. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. And here I thought all my troubles were over.

Step 3: Configuring the lock. Great, the part2.schlage.com website with the instructions no longer exists. Spent about 30 minutes scouring the Schlage site with no luck. Another 15 googling and luckily someone had the PDF online. Definately saved to HD now. :)

Step 4: Adding the lock to my UI5 Vera 3. 1st try, sees lock but can't configure. 2nd try with Vera within 3 feet on battery with no network using the zwave button. Same issue. *censored* *Banging head* *censored* Sledgehammer time! Ran a 75' Cat5 cable from my switch to near the lock. Connected Vera 3 to power and network and placed about 8" from the lock. Setup my laptop and connected to Vera and set her to include. Entered programming code - Schlage - 0 and mm, red blinking Schlage light lasts longer this time and finally turns solid green instead of just switching off. Woohoo! Vera sees the lock correctly this time. Left her there for about an hour to let the lock configure properly and we are looking good. Even after moving her back to her normal location.

After this, I decided against replacing the Schlage zwave manual dead bolt on the front door with the motorized one for now. No use in tempting fate again....   

LOL...I hear you...I don't have that lock but I manage to find problems or they find me. There was an article posted that Bluetooth wants to be the next home automation standard within 3 years. A lot of work needs to be done to the protocol but did make me curious and mad at the same time. :)