Author Topic: What did you do with Vera today?  (Read 262189 times)

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
Re: What did you do with Vera today?
« Reply #915 on: October 22, 2015, 06:45:52 am »
I'm actually quite happy with the performance of my Veralite but I can not expand on it anymore.

Time to move some stuff to openLuup running on RPi or similar?
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P.
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, DataYours, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline korttoma

• Keep it simple, stupid
« Reply #916 on: October 22, 2015, 07:03:29 am »
I'm actually quite happy with the performance of my Veralite but I can not expand on it anymore.

Time to move some stuff to openLuup running on RPi or similar?

Not sure if I'm able to invest the time to learn all that. Not quite clear what I would need to learn to pull it of. Do you have an SD card image for RPi2 where all the hard core linux stuff is already prepared?
- Tomas

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #917 on: October 22, 2015, 07:09:31 am »
Not sure if I'm able to invest the time to learn all that. Not quite clear what I would need to learn to pull it of. Do you have an SD card image for RPi2 where all the hard core linux stuff is already prepared?

Actually, that's exactly the reason I use BeagleBone Black instead of RPi... has all the image installed and it's just a couple of one-liners to add Lua and a couple of necessary modules.

Still a work in progress, but it seems that GCal3 and IosPush and Sonos are working OK.  Perhaps come back to it when it's a bit more mature, if you're anxious about the effort involved at the moment.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P.
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, DataYours, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline korttoma

• Keep it simple, stupid
« Reply #918 on: October 22, 2015, 07:54:14 am »
I will keep following your progress like always akbooer ;)
- Tomas

Offline TinCup

« Reply #919 on: October 23, 2015, 08:34:18 pm »
My Vera is now announcing (in the home centralized speaker system) who is calling me on my Android cell phone.

I did something similar here, too.  I've got an asterisk PBX for landline calls so I wrote an AGI that captures the caller id and name (I have an IVR to route calls for me and members of my family), then passes it to Vera through an http luup call into my Sonos which broadcasts it throughout the house ("*chime* there is an incoming call for <name> from <number>").

I'll probably create a simple database for common numbers that call the house, then have the AGI dip into that to fix the inconsistency of caller id name ("there's an incoming call for Joe from Grandma" or something similar).

I was using GoogleTTS for the announcements but they recently did something to their API to break requests so now I'm using Microsoft Translate .. at least until I install OSX TTS on an unused mac mini that I have (so I'm not at the mercy of cloud based tts providers).

Good stuff.
Vera 3 UI5 | Homewave | Amazon Echo | BWS HA Bridge | PLEG/PLTS | OpenSprinkler | AD2USB | GE/Jasco | Schlage BE469 | Kwikset 912 | ecobee3 | SONOS + TTS | Aeotec 4-in-1 | EcoLink | Everspring ST812 | Remotec ZFM-80 | Evolve LRM-AS/LFM-20 | Hikvision DS-2CD2332 Turret | Dahua IPC-HFW4300S Bullet

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
    • 0x8
« Reply #920 on: October 24, 2015, 12:33:09 am »
I also play with asterisk,
I created a call-center-style voice menu, to control things like arm/disarm lock/unlock and some essential lights.

It asks for password if i call from outside
Pretty neat :)
But hardly used
1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline mda

« Reply #921 on: October 24, 2015, 11:29:08 am »

My Vera is now announcing (in the home centralized speaker system) who is calling me on my Android cell phone.

... so now I'm using Microsoft Translate .. at least until I install OSX TTS on an unused Mac mini...

May I ask if you know of an OSX TTS server that is compatible with Mac OS 10.11 ? I have not been able to get https://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/ttsserver/ to work reliably with high quality voices since Mac OS  10.10

Thanks !

Offline TinCup

« Reply #922 on: October 24, 2015, 06:40:53 pm »
May I ask if you know of an OSX TTS server that is compatible with Mac OS 10.11 ? I have not been able to get https://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/ttsserver/ to work reliably with high quality voices since Mac OS  10.10

Unfortunately, I don't know of any.  I also had trouble getting TTS server to run on MacOS > 10.8.  Thankfully, my mac mini is still running 10.7 so I'm hopeful that it will work. 
Vera 3 UI5 | Homewave | Amazon Echo | BWS HA Bridge | PLEG/PLTS | OpenSprinkler | AD2USB | GE/Jasco | Schlage BE469 | Kwikset 912 | ecobee3 | SONOS + TTS | Aeotec 4-in-1 | EcoLink | Everspring ST812 | Remotec ZFM-80 | Evolve LRM-AS/LFM-20 | Hikvision DS-2CD2332 Turret | Dahua IPC-HFW4300S Bullet

Offline TinCup

« Reply #923 on: November 05, 2015, 12:29:55 pm »
To follow up on this, the mac mini  (ebay $114) works great for TTS.  I installed infovox and purchased a high quality voice from Acapela (the 22k Tracy voice was about $15).  Runs very smooth on Wolf's TTS Server and the voice quality is much better than Google or MS on the whole house speakers.

Not bad for about $120 in parts and some time.

Offline wilme2

« Reply #924 on: November 05, 2015, 01:45:41 pm »

Actually, that's exactly the reason I use BeagleBone Black instead of RPi... has all the image installed and it's just a couple of one-liners to add Lua and a couple of necessary modules.

Still a work in progress, but it seems that GCal3 and IosPush and Sonos are working OK.  Perhaps come back to it when it's a bit more mature, if you're anxious about the effort involved at the moment.

This is why I am excited about Docker coming to the Synology NAS.  It makes it so that applications can be pre-packaged and folks like me with limited linux knowledge can just download and install an application.  A few days ago I loaded airedale's Docker container of the Amazon Echo Hub, and have Alexa controlling my lights.  No new server and limited linux knowledge needed (just enough to know how to get to command line and issue run command)...
Long Live UI5!

Offline virtus

« Reply #925 on: November 05, 2015, 05:35:39 pm »
I installed the latest beta firmware (isnt' all the UI7 firmware a beta?  ;D) and it seems to have solved some issues I've been having with the monoprice door/window sensors. So now I've been able to install them on my garage doors and provide their status to my wall tablets and scenes. In particular, my night-scene has been updated to make sure the garage doors are closed.

Also, not really related to the veralite, I was able blow out my sprinklers somewhat automatically with Opensprinkler. I have a program that runs each zone for one minute, then waits 3 minutes (allowing the air compressor to build up pressure again), then it runs the next zone, etc... and it goes through everything twice. So all i had to do was shut off the water, connect my air compressor, and run the program and now everything's ready for winter.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #926 on: November 05, 2015, 08:56:14 pm »
So all i had to do was shut off the water, connect my air compressor, and run the program and now everything's ready for winter.

Mean while in Southern California I packed up my Speedo's and got out my winter SHORTS...  ;D Hitting low 80's this week.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #927 on: November 05, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »
And here in Florida  the top is down on my convertible while I cruised to work. Low to mid 80's here as well.  :D
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #928 on: November 09, 2015, 07:10:26 pm »
And here in Florida  the top is down on my convertible while I cruised to work. Low to mid 80's here as well.  :D
I'm REALLY hoping we get below 80 this week. I'm counting on having Thanksgiving dinner outside, and the weather hasn't been cooperating. It's tough to load up on turkey & stuffing when it's 90 outside.

I added some switches to the last room in the house with no Z-wave. Feels good. I have a couple of outdoor lights to take care of, and then every switch in the house will be automated.

One of the switches I added was the first Vizia RF+ I've used that doesn't support instant status. I saved a couple (literally, a couple) bucks and I really don't need instant status there.
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #929 on: November 10, 2015, 08:45:38 am »
I setup my fake Hue Bridge to bridge my Harmony Hub to Vera. I then used the same bridge to link my Echo. I am having too much fun with Alexa right now controlling my entertainment center and turning lights/fans on and off by voice. The Echo is excellent at voice recognition and fast. I just ordered a second Echo for upstairs yesterday.