We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Aeotec Key fob - Need some help  (Read 19350 times)

Offline Theo

• Sr. Newbie
Aeotec Key fob - Need some help
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:03:31 am »
I ordered two Aeotec Key Fob's. To start they feel a bit plastic to me but okay, for the price it's fine. Then I tried to add them to my VERA3 UI5 network... The manual is typical a ZWAVE manual... If you haven't studied rocket science you will never manage to do anything with this device. It makes me hopeless every time I add a new device.

This time the manual talks about the 4 buttons that behave different depending of the mode the Key Fob is in. In Use Mode the buttons are numbered 1 to 4 and in Setup mode the buttons are include, remove and learn (the fourth button seems to have no function). I followed the instructions to add the Key Fob to my network. Put Vera in learn mode and pressed the learn button. In Vera it shows up as a scene controller, but nothing can be controlled. After that I have to set the Key Fob to Use Mode by using a pin to press the Mode button. But I don't have a clue which button the mode button is. There is no hole in the Key Fob to put a pin in. The only thing I can think of is the fourth button, but this does not work. Any one an idea how I:
- Can set the Key Fob to Use Mode
- Add the Key Fob to my UI5 network in a way it can be used?

Other problem is the second Key Fob. It only shows a red led when I push a button. Is this one in Use Mode? Or is it broke and should I return it? Resetting can be done by holding the Mode button. The day I find that one will be a good day :-)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Aeotec Key fob - Need some help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:53:48 am »
Looks like there might be a hole on the back?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline CountLippe

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:07:35 am »

Offline Lafiama

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »
Thank you very much for the link to this post.
I am French but I don't seen the link  http://www.maison-et-domotique.com/product-review/test-telecommandes-porte-cles-aeon-labs/comment-page-1/#comment-15172.

I will try tonight!!!!

PS : Since I deployed the Z-Wave technology in my home (3 months) I tried HOMESEER. This is a very powerful software but...too much complicated for my usage. One week ago I bought a Vera-Lite...what a pleasure!!!!!!! Seeting is very easy even if programming with Luup code is not very user friendly. But globally a very nice box!

Thank you to all to sharing your experience.

Soon I will post the methodology that I deployed this week to make TTS (Text-to-Speech) other http requests to a windows computer without using Windows TTS. I have not seen a post about it, maybe it can help someone who wants to avoid buying a Karotz while has everything to do it...

See you soon

Offline Theo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:53:07 am »
Thank you for the links. Unfortunately the linked website says that the Aeotec Key Fob's do not yet work with Vera  :'(

If anyone gets it to work I would be happy to hear it.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:00:50 am »
Unfortunately the linked website says that the Aeotec Key Fob's do not yet work with Vera  :'(
Can I assume that you tried yourself though? Did you get past the issue to get the key fob into Use Mode?

I don't have this device, but from the manual it appears similar in operation to the Z-Wave.Me key fob that was recently discussed here; that is, it sends out scene activation IDs 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. The screenshots of that device, as well as a look at Vera's configuration file, seem to suggest there may be no special handling for that key fob.

If that's true, I was thinking it would work for your Aeotec key fob as well. As an outline, I'd try:
- Include the key fob, per the manual; then switch to Use Mode.
- Create a scene in Vera to turn a light on, with trigger 'A scene is activated', 'Which scene = 1'.
- Try it.

Offline LG

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 04:05:47 pm »
Unfortunately the linked website says that the Aeotec Key Fob's do not yet work with Vera

Theo,

Have you read the comment of Olivier ? (http://www.maison-et-domotique.com/product-review/test-telecommandes-porte-cles-aeon-labs/comment-page-1/#comment-15172) He contacted Micasaverde and I think the solution is really near what oTi@ suggests.

Lafiama,

I've ordered 2 of this devices. Can you tell us if you succeded to configure the device ? 

Offline Theo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 04:55:16 am »
Hi LG,

I did not read the comments so I missed this one. I've tried it and it works! Thank you all very much!!!

Offline Theo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 06:00:17 am »
Let's wrap it up (for later use so not all of you have to translate the French comments).

On the back of the Key Fob are 2 holes. The right hole is the mode button that's mentioned in the manual. If you push it (with a needle or something like that) the led is green for 2 seconds to let you know you've switched from setup mode to use mode or back (you can't tell from the outside which mode it is in). Push it some more longer and the Key Fob will reset itself (led flashes red-green).

The buttons are numbered 1 (upper left), 2 (upper right), 3 (lower left), 4 (lower right)

First add the Key Fob to your Zwave network. Click:
- Devices
- Add devices
- Advanced Zwave devices
- Add one (battery operated hand held remote) (see attachment 1)

Klik on button 3 of the Key Fob. If the Key Fob is in the setup mode the green led will light up and once it's connected to your network it will flash some times.

If you go to devices tab you'll find a new device. Just give it a name (and room) and leave all other options as is (see attachment 2).

Now create a scene for every button on the device. Click:
- Automation
- New scene
Give the scene a name (and room) and select the actions pushing the button has to result in. Now we have to connect the scene with the button. Click:
- Triggers
- Add trigger
- Select the Key Fob as the device
- Select 'A scene is activated'
- Give it a name (like button 1 or something like that)
- The scene number is the number of the button (see attachment 3)
- Conform changes
- Save

That's it!

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 09:58:27 am »
I've tried it and it works!
Excellent!

The buttons are numbered 1 (upper left), 2 (upper right), 3 (lower left), 4 (lower right)[...]
The manual also talks about 'Press and hold 2 seconds' events for each button.

Have you tried 'A scene is de-acticated'/'Which scene = 1', or 'A scene is activated'/'Which scene = 5' etc., to see if you can get the additional events?

Offline Theo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 05:15:55 am »
Hi,

I didn't get that to work yet. Created a scene for a so called button 7 (I presume that should be button 3 pressed for 2 seconds) but nothing happened. I don't have much time to play with it today but maybe I'll try again on a later moment.

Offline htcheng

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:35 am »
A little off topic, but where did you get these key fobs? I haven't been able to find them anywhere...

Offline Theo

• Sr. Newbie
Aeotec Key fob - Need some help
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 03:27:30 am »

Offline LG

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 05:38:41 pm »
I've tried it and it works!
Excellent!

The buttons are numbered 1 (upper left), 2 (upper right), 3 (lower left), 4 (lower right)[...]
The manual also talks about 'Press and hold 2 seconds' events for each button.

Have you tried 'A scene is de-acticated'/'Which scene = 1', or 'A scene is activated'/'Which scene = 5' etc., to see if you can get the additional events?

I've just received my 2 Key Fob and tried your solution  'A scene is de-acticated'/'Which scene = 1' for the 'Press and hold 2 seconds' events and it works ! Thanks.