We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: When will Vera offer granular access control?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline tdinardo

When will Vera offer granular access control?
« on: October 04, 2012, 03:25:58 pm »
Right now it's an all or nothing proposition with Vera. I use Vera at a number of locations and would love to be able to grant specific users access to specific devices. I know there are a couple of other posts where folks have asked about this, but those threads just got polluted with chaff and nothing useful was ever mentioned.

Is this something that needs to be opened as a design change request somewhere to get Micasaverde to get this into the dev process?

Has anyone come up with a viable work-around to this problem?

Offline sean.scott

When will Vera offer granular access control?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:42:17 pm »
Since it doesn't look like I'm the only one that's asked about this, I assume it can't be done in he current firmware.

I assume because there is no authentication necessary when accessing vera on the local subnet, all of the user authentication is done through cp.mios.com rather than locally on the Vera unit itself. 

Definitely high up on my list of feature requests if there is one.

-Sean

Offline chixxi

Re: When will Vera offer granular access control?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:23:50 am »
I also want to have this feature! I live together with some other people, we all have our rooms full of zwave devices. Even though it's quite funny to fool arround some times I wish I could give different users different rights for specific devices...
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:47:05 am »
[...] no authentication necessary when accessing vera on the local subnet,[...]
You can turn on local authentication, but as @tdinardo states it's 'all or nothing'; there is no per-device (or perhaps per-room) user permissions.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:31:16 am »
Also note local authentication will not prevent access from 3rd party apps.

- Garrett

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:28:13 am »
A possible dirty workaround and iOS specific is to use the HomeWave application, and just create user screens for the devices you want your users to see/control

I did this for my girlfriend, so she now has an app on her phone where she can only see and control the temperature in the kids rooms etc.