We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Indoor Lamps On Switch-Controlled Outlets  (Read 2754 times)

Offline plucente

• Sr. Newbie
Indoor Lamps On Switch-Controlled Outlets
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »
I'm looking for a z-wave solution to controlling a lamp that is plugged into an outlet in a spare bedroom, which is controlled by a light switch at the entrance to the room.  The outlet is across the room and blocked by a dresser.  I want the light switch at the doorway to remain the main control to the light/outlet.

It looks like any in-wall z-wave switch solution requires that the lighting be hard-wired to it and not something plugged into an outlet.

If I use a dimmer module like the Evolve LDM-15, then using the on/off switch will not really be practical since the switch being turned off would render the Evolve useless.  Same problem if I replace the outlet with a z-wave outlet.

I've poked around but all I can come up with are the dimmer or on/off modules that the lamp would plug into at the outlet.

Has anyone successfully accomplished this?

Paul

Offline SteveZ

Re: Indoor Lamps On Switch-Controlled Outlets
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:17:04 pm »
why not replace the light switch with a z-wave on off switch and leave the lamp plugged into the existing outlet  I wouldn't use a dimmer though since its not a good idea to have a dimmer control a switched outlet, and against code in many areas. but if you do go with a dimmer just make sure never plug in anything in but lamps.

Offline plucente

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply Steve, I must have misunderstood what I was reading when I was researching, my impression was that both the dimmer switches AND the on/off z-wave switches would be a problem when controlling an outlet and that they should be used only for hard-wired lights.

Paul

Offline Vito

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:28:54 am »
I believe the concern is that you could connect a high load to the outlet (i.e. hair dryer), which the switch could not handle.  Otherwise, it will work.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:20:17 am »
To control an outlet you would use a relay (on/off) switch. Most of the relay (on/off) switches support at least 15amps. You will have to read the specs to see what the max load is.

- Garrett

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:14:13 am »
Also, for completeness, you could consider replacing the outlet with a Z-Wave outlet and the switch with a Z-Wave transmitter.

In both cases, using a transmitter or a Z-Wave on/off switch, in the location of the switch, you'd need a neutral. Although probably more costly, the Z-Wave transmitter would allow you to turn on multiple Z-Wave lights in the same room simultaneously.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline plucente

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies- looks like I should be OK to just replace w/ an on-off switch so long as the only load is a lamp.  I don't have plans to put anything else on this outlet so this should get me what I was looking for.

Paul

Offline aerdon

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 09:48:59 am »
Did this work for you?  I tried replacing a standard switch with the GE switch.  The switch powers an outlet and I cannot get it to work.  When I restore power the Blue LED lights for a second and then goes out.  The switch does not have any effect on the outlet.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 10:20:39 am »
Double check your wiring. You might want to try another switch just in case.

- Garrett

Offline plucente

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 03:50:00 pm »
Aerdon- I actually haven't had time to try it yet, I did purchase the relay switch and am planning on installing it within a week or so, and will report back here once I do.

Paul