We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: GE switch vs. Evolve  (Read 10145 times)

Offline 480vac

• Sr. Newbie
Re: GE switch vs. Evolve
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 06:47:03 pm »
+1 For GE - They work well (but beware that they need a neutral connection)   Lowes sells them, so I can just go over and pick them up - Just $34 for on/off switch.  $44 for three way.

Offline Lonestar10

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 11:20:42 am »
+1 for Evolve.  More expensive, but good quality and range.
IU7 VeraPlus - Ecobee 3 x2 - Kwikset - Nest - GE & Leviton Switches - Alexa

Offline turb0

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 08:55:45 pm »
+1 For GE - They work well (but beware that they need a neutral connection)   Lowes sells them, so I can just go over and pick them up - Just $34 for on/off switch.  $44 for three way.

Not for the dimmers, that was one of the reasons I liked GE/Jasco over Evolve.  But now that I've put in many of each, the evolves seems to have a bit better reliability factor and the range is good.  One thing that I have noticed that does seem to be a problem with the evolves is they get rather hot.  I'm not sure why tho, installed on various loads - could be a factory issue?

Offline ljcljc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »

Hi, Where can you buy the switch for $34? I cannot find them on Lowes, can you help me with that? Thanks

Offline frichter09

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 04:31:02 pm »
Maybe its just me but I just got a $34 GE switch (on/off) from Lowes.
That thing constantly falls of my network which is driving me crazy!!!
It does not respond to any z-wave commands after a while and the only solution is the air gap switch...

It goes back next week and will be replaced with an Evolve switch.... never had an issue with those!

Just my 2 cents...
Vera Lite (1), Kwikset Locks (2), 2Gig-CT30 Thermostat (1), D-Link IP Cam (1), Evolve DM-15 (1), Evolve LRM-15(AS) (4), Evolve LFM-20 (1), Evolve LSM-15 (1), Everspring Sensor (1), Intermatic HA02C (6), Intermatic HA03C (4), Wayne-Dalton HA-03WD (2), MCV Smart Switch (1)

Offline ljcljc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 01:27:41 pm »
oh....It seems like the evolve switch is better, then I will go and buy those.

Offline michaelk

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 02:34:27 pm »
for future reference - the homeseer store always has handy tables comparing the various switches/dimmers (that they happen to carry):

http://store.homeseer.com/store/HomeSeer-Z-Wave-Wall-Switch-Matrix-W7C37.aspx

I have evolve, intermatic, act, schlage and ge.   I've had a few failures of different brands but nothing very "young" and not too much pattern that i can discern. Typically I buy based on lowest price that fits my needs to be honest.

to me the particular needs of the installation are most important (usually it relates to do i need the neutral in that location or not-  seems to be pretty important to have the neutral  going forward as incandescents slowly march on to dodo bird status- but depending on what's there sometimes you have no choice but to go neutral-free)

the first switches that i recall ever were ACT brand- i think they were the reference design from the z-wave chip people (zensys?).  GE/Jasco, schlage, and wayne dalton generally seem to be all the same. The wallwarts from those later companies were the same as what ACT sold at the end of their presence. So I think all those vendors were just selling variants of the reference design from zensys at that moment- so they features and/or form factors have changed but it seems if you bought the latest of those at the time you go the latest options such as beaming.

Evolve seems to be a different player- but i wouldn't really know to be honest- so maybe not.

Offline 480vac

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 09:04:09 am »
My GE switched were a little flaky at the beginning, but once I added more z-wave nodes, they are all working well.  It must have something to do with the routing.   

Also, I did find that not all of the Lowes stores sell the Iris system, so this might we why the previous responder didn't have luck finding them.  I had looked at two Lowes in in New Hampshire (on my way back from Homeseer, actually) and couldn't find any until I crossed the Mass. border.  You can find the stuff on the Lowes website search for "GE Iris".   This is a link to the $34 switch

Offline turb0

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 01:21:07 am »
I have installed some GE switches and dimmers and are very good..
but leviton I have problems...are difficulty to install with vera3 and no have clear instructions for that and vera3.
and are very expensive.

Yeah, run away from anything Leviton, I have tried controllers and several other things from them.  They just don't like to play nice.  I am sure that if you used a Leviton solution (like a usb stick from them,) you would probably get better results.

Offline turb0

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 01:23:36 am »

Not for the dimmers, that was one of the reasons I liked GE/Jasco over Evolve.  But now that I've put in many of each, the evolves seems to have a bit better reliability factor and the range is good.  One thing that I have noticed that does seem to be a problem with the evolves is they get rather hot.  I'm not sure why tho, installed on various loads - could be a factory issue?

Yeah, I have noticed that too and that concerns me.  I pull any switch that gets too hot and get another one under warranty.  It ain't my house and I don't want to burn it down!

Offline ColdCowboy

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 11:49:36 am »
Question regarding GE vs. Evolve.  With a 3-way switch I understand that GE must have a GE counterpart on the other end.  Is this true?  Does the same go for Evolve?   

Thanks

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 12:00:40 pm »
Question regarding GE vs. Evolve.  With a 3-way switch I understand that GE must have a GE counterpart on the other end.  Is this true?  Does the same go for Evolve?   

Both of these brands use dedicated proprietary switches for the "remote" end of 3-way configurations.

The GE uses a custom wired variation of the traveler wire from the remote to the main switch.

The Evolve uses an RF connection between the switches but still requires power(line) and neutral at the remote.

Offline ubun2Junky

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 11:57:38 am »
I just got the GE and the Evolve.  However, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that in order to get the evolve 3 way switch set up to work, you have to program your auxiliary switch through the vera using scenes? The GE will function as a normal 3 way switch even if it's not connected to the vera.  The GE and Evolve are wired differently as well.  For me I don't like the fact that my switch depends on the controller in order for it to function as a 3 way switch.  For 3 way switch I'd get GE.

Offline kkl

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 01:05:16 am »
I just got the GE and the Evolve.  However, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that in order to get the evolve 3 way switch set up to work, you have to program your auxiliary switch through the vera using scenes?
I've never used the Evolve myself, but I think it depends on which type of slave switch is used.  From the manual: "The ZRW103 supports the AS101 and AS001 slave switch. AS101 is recommended as it is a full function switch."