We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera showing Offline, but I can connect locally  (Read 313 times)

Offline rpp124

• Sr. Newbie
Vera showing Offline, but I can connect locally
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:57:21 am »
So today I went to adjust my thermostat through the Vera mobile app and it wouldn't connect, saying the controller is busy.  I then went to do the same via home.getvera.com and it said my controller is offline.  I then went to the local IP and was able to connect with no issues and make the changes I needed.

Why would my hub show offline today?  My internet connection is fine and all other connected devices still work.  Any suggestions?

Offline Catman

Re: Vera showing Offline, but I can connect locally
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:49:37 pm »
Welcome to one of Vera's issues.  My assumption is that the cloud servers lose connectivity pretty regularly. For reasons unknown.

Both the App and home.getvera.com connect via the Vera cloud servers....

C

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 12:51:38 pm »
@Catman... Now you must be getting closer to by passing the cloud server and going direct... right?  ;D

@OP, yes this is the reason why some of us have taken the vera out of its cloud server.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline ivx

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 01:14:49 pm »
I agree, the most annoying thing is that no local login posiibility.
If cloud problems, i can't even acess most options with LAN IP.

Currently to get over annoying thing, just watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnRGtVkr6E

Offline Catman

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 01:54:57 pm »
@Catman... Now you must be getting closer to by passing the cloud server and going direct... right?  ;D

@OP, yes this is the reason why some of us have taken the vera out of its cloud server.

The *most* frustrating thing is that (part of) my job is to keep about 10k servers on line........

And the default 'exclude and re-include'. I'm not sure I can blame Vera for that specifically but *NO*

C

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 02:13:27 pm »
Ha, don't get me wrong. Cloud servers have their purpose and I use them pretty extensively. Home automation is just not one of them. Using a server to relay data and commands with an additional lag and adding load and additional failure points on your home automation hub when you can access it directly makes no sense to me.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline Catman

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 04:21:14 pm »
Ha, don't get me wrong. Cloud servers have their purpose and I use them pretty extensively. Home automation is just not one of them. Using a server to relay data and commands with an additional lag and adding load and additional failure points on your home automation hub when you can access it directly makes no sense to me.

Saves the need to build security into the firmware is all I can see, oh, and possibly monetise an additional data stream and services.

C

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 08:11:42 pm »
I agree, the most annoying thing is that no local login posiibility.
If cloud problems, i can't even acess most options with LAN IP.

Currently to get over annoying thing, just watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnRGtVkr6E

I have been using Teamviewer to log into a computer on my network to control Vera when it is offline.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1