Author Topic: Quick Question: Most common use cases for Smart Plugs ?  (Read 742 times)

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
Re: Quick Question: Most common use cases for Smart Plugs ?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:08 pm »
Add Pet Care.  We use for our automated cat feeder http://www.super-feeder.com/, as well as for reptile lighting (on day lights at sunrise, switch to night lights at sunset)... 

In fact, those two applications, along with a traditional floor lamp, were the reason I started with Vera almost 6 years ago as I was tired of programming individual timers for each device.

Also want to second 'hot water re-circulation pump'.

Good examples because those are time critical applications: you don't want Vera to mess up the schedule.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:58 pm »
All our indoor cameras are on smart plugs; they are killed when we are at home, for privacy reasons.

On a somewhat related note, I was extremely pleased to see the announcement for the Fibaro Walli line: smart switches and smart Schuko type wall sockets compatible with euro patress boxes and various common brands of face plates, that look like a premium product instead of the usual plastic rubbish.  The selection of these kinds of devices has been decidedly poor for the Euro market, so I hope Vera will add support for these soon after they hit the stores.

Because I kind of hate smart plugs, especially the bulky kind.  Even if it will be kind of pricey, I'd prefer to turn all of my wall sockets into smart sockets, instead of using nasty looking smart wall warts.
You can convert your sockets intm ZWAVE sockets by using the TEM Modal System.
Google TEM switches for further info or PM me

Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline korttoma

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 02:43:36 am »
I use smart plugs for:

Disconnecting TVs and other equipment in standby when nobody is home.
Evaluating power consumption for dishwasher and washing machine to notify when they are done washing and disconnect when not in use while away.
Disconnecting robot lawn mower from electrical grid and guidelines when thunderstorm approach.
Holiday lighting.
Stop and start circulation pump for underfloor heating according to thermostats demand for heat.
- Tomas

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 03:27:54 am »
Wow, as always, more than expected.  :)

Thank you so much, everyone. I will leave the topic open as it is useful for the public.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Online Domoworking

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 07:03:42 am »
I personally use it for power metering, to drive some light, my old Home HiFi and for the Xmas lights...

Offline trygve

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 10:10:41 am »
Only place I use a Smart Plug are in locations where I want to smart enable something (a old lamp, old kettle etc) where its tricky or not worth having a profesionall installing a binary switch on the back of the power outlet. Or on installations where the power outlet is not smart enabled and I want to put up something temporary, like the lights to a christmass tree.

I strongly try to avoid Smart Plugs and go for in the wall installations to be honest so I only see them usefull for these odd cases use.
Vera Edge. Qubino flush dimmers-, 10V dimmers-, flush relays-, flush shutters-, Sunricher touch panel-, RGBW touch panel, Secure thermostats & relays, HeatIt thermostats, Fibaro RGBW dimmers, Aeotec multisensors-, Switches, Z-Wave.Me Wall Controllers, SwiidInter Cord Switch, Velux Integra, Sonos

Online Catman

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 11:09:42 am »
Only place I use a Smart Plug are in locations where I want to smart enable something (a old lamp, old kettle etc) where its tricky or not worth having a profesionall installing a binary switch on the back of the power outlet. Or on installations where the power outlet is not smart enabled and I want to put up something temporary, like the lights to a christmass tree.

I strongly try to avoid Smart Plugs and go for in the wall installations to be honest so I only see them usefull for these odd cases use.

Why? I have about 6 of them. They work fine.

C

Offline blacey

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 03:05:48 pm »
A few of my use cases:

1) Disable dehumidifier in basement of seasonal home when the temperature drops below operating level during off-season (e.g. late fall/winter) or overhead door is opened.
2) Monitor energy usage for large appliances (e.g. dehumidifier, portable HVAC).
3) Trigger scenes when active/energy consumption increases (e.g. start box fan to circulate air whenever dehumidifier starts dehumidification cycle)
Three Vera-3 (Home, Seasonal 1 & 2) - Firmware: 1.5.622,   Zwave: 3.20 L:1
One Vera-Edge (Dependent) - Firmware: 1.7.1707, Zwave: 4.5 L:1

Offline dJOS

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 06:24:40 pm »
For us they are only used for the following items:

• Lamps
  • Fan

but I know folks who use the power monitoring features in the Aeotec Smartswitches to notify when their dishwashers, washing machines and clothes dryers have finished their runs.
HAC: Vera Plus & Hass.io | Voice Control: Amazon echo's | Z-Wave Devices: Aeotec Smart Switches, Nano Switches / Dimmers & Garage Door Opener | Thermostats: nest's

Offline Dingin

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 09:15:37 pm »
i use it for cozy candles, kitchen ligths, humidificator

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline trygve

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 12:11:37 pm »

I do not doubt they work fine. I prefer to have these things hidden away. No bulky things poking out of the sockets etc.
Vera Edge. Qubino flush dimmers-, 10V dimmers-, flush relays-, flush shutters-, Sunricher touch panel-, RGBW touch panel, Secure thermostats & relays, HeatIt thermostats, Fibaro RGBW dimmers, Aeotec multisensors-, Switches, Z-Wave.Me Wall Controllers, SwiidInter Cord Switch, Velux Integra, Sonos

Online Catman

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 12:36:31 pm »

I do not doubt they work fine. I prefer to have these things hidden away. No bulky things poking out of the sockets etc.

Makes sense :)

We don't have any options in the UK that I can see.  Unless a normal Fibaro type module could be purposed into a wall socket. I guess technically there's little reason but they are always positioned as inserts for lights etc.

C

C

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 05:41:15 pm »
My use is for washing machine power monitoring and tts notification over Sonos when completed, also use for fan cooling unit that sits on top of denon amp (runs really hot in it normal configuration) and exhausts the hot air out the back of the cabinet when the denon is on and for 5 mins after it is turned off

Offline jbfoster

Quick Question: Most common use cases for Smart Plugs ?
« Reply #28 on: Today at 04:59:50 pm »
I use one for my IP camera.  It likes to freeze up every now and then. This was  a way I can cut power for a second to reboot the camera.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk