Author Topic: Tinkering with Fibaro door en window sensors ( FGK and FGDW)  (Read 184 times)

Offline Cor

Tinkering with Fibaro door en window sensors ( FGK and FGDW)
« on: February 20, 2019, 02:55:28 pm »
I have  14 of these devices , 12 FGK's ( older and newer versions) and 2 FGDW. They work fine , but the batteries , they are killing me. About every 6 months I need to replace them and they are quite difficult to find. On Ebay-Amazon , but I allready recieved a batch which were almost empty.

Why don't they use normal AA or AAA batteries I was thinking, a bit bigger , but more power!  :o

A quick drawing in a 3D programm and my printer did the rest. 3x AAA size batteries ( 4.5 Volts) on the door sensor and it worked , although a lot of blue flashes from the LED , it didn't like the 4.5 Volts a lot. I tried 2 AA batteries, that works  perfect, the battery percentage shows 75-80% and they report open and close normall ( maybe even faster?!? , also on the FGDW the temperature is reported as expected).
Tamper buttons are pushed down in the casing.

Offcourse the casing is now twice as big for the bigger batteries , but AA-size Batteries you can find in every shop around the corner.

It's not a thing of beauty , but it works. If anyone is interested I am happy to give the STL or CAD files. ( not sure how to do that on this forum though).

Cor

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
Re: Tinkering with Fibaro door en window sensors ( FGK and FGDW)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 03:11:27 pm »
Another option to try here would be a single button-top 18650. They are a AA-size lithium ion battery with 3.6V nominal similar to the 14250, but rechargeable and double the capacity. Keep a few on hand charged up, figure out what the sensor reports when they get to about 2.9V and swap them out/recharge, and they'll last you years. Keep your 3D model, just downsize it one unit length.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.

Offline Cor

Re: Tinkering with Fibaro door en window sensors ( FGK and FGDW)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 10:17:56 am »
@ Rigpapa: wow , those are cool batteries..... I wish I Had known they exist before. All my sensors are now changed to 2xAA.

It will be for another time when I have the spare time again.

Thanks for your idea!

Cor