We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Connecting to Internet  (Read 168 times)

Offline dmevis

• Sr. Newbie
Connecting to Internet
« on: February 24, 2019, 03:30:39 pm »
Veralite, running UI 6.  Been working fine for years until we had a storm about a week ago.  Lost power (spike?) twice for about 1/2 second.  Veralite lost its connection to the Internet.  Rebooted everything, no help.  Finally reset the VeraLite and loaded a backup, but still having a problem.

My LAN uses 2 Routers in-line.  The first Router contains items I don't consider secure, like the VeraLite.  The second Router contains all of my household devices, and is connected to the first Router, for Internet access.  This isolates my internal LAN on the second Router from the insecure devices on the first Router.  This is setup has been in place and working great for several years.  Other devices on the first Router are working fine. 

However, I can no longer get the VeraLite to connect to the Internet when it is plugged into the first Router.  Yellow LAN light on VeraLight never goes solid.  It works fine if I connect the VeraLite to the second Router.  Tried swapping cables and ports, no help. 

What could be causing my VeraLite not to connect to the Internet using the first Router?

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
Re: Connecting to Internet
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 04:52:38 pm »
You are essentially double NATing with two routers. One is serving a subnet and treating the other network as its WAN. You may need to use some port forwarding to do this properly but there are other ways to do what you are trying to do by splitting subnets or even better, use 2 VLANs on a single router. I am not going to go through a whole tutorial here, not knowing what router you are using but I do not believe this is a vera issue. Your power outage likely took out some port forwarding setup on your routers.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline Jamr

Re: Connecting to Internet
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:20:01 pm »
Interesting. The Vera does not work on any port on the first router but it works on any port on the 2nd router...
I would try disconnecting the Vera lite and plug in a laptop on that cable and turn off the laptops WIFI and check to see if network cable is indeed providing good internet access.
If it does, there is a problem with your Vera.
If it does not, there is a problem with the cable, port or your router.
I am not an expert on NAT but I do not see why the first router would have a problem with it and the second not.