We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Cooper RF9575DW with Vera Plus - Is it possible  (Read 309 times)

Offline bradkw

Cooper RF9575DW with Vera Plus - Is it possible
« on: February 26, 2019, 11:00:00 pm »
I have the Cooper RF9575DW "Anyplace" wireless remote.  Vera recognized the device ok naming itself "Anyplace Switch" in the device screen.   When I press a button, I get a response "SUCCESS! Transmit was OK" in the Vera Device screen.  When I try to add a scene to it, it asks how many buttons.  I told Vera 4 buttons (on/off/bright/dim.)  I just can't get it to actually turn anything on or off. 

Is it possible?  I find no indication one way or the other.  It's strange, like no one ever thought of using one of these with Vera Plus.

Offline HSD99

Re: Cooper RF9575DW with Vera Plus - Is it possible
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 08:19:32 am »
Rather than having the device act as a standalone scene controller, I'd suggest using it as a trigger to run scenes on Vera. If it's like the Remotec ZRC-90, you'll see it as a trigger device in the trigger menu for the scene and it will let you pick what button function you want to use as the trigger. I don't own this device, so I can't check and see how Vera presents it in the interface.

Offline bradkw

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:51:57 am »
Yes!  That's exactly what I was trying to do.  I want to control what it does, not the other way around. 
I made progress using this thread http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,85511.msg388632.html#msg388632
Now it works, except that off/on are backwards!

I'm very new to all of this.  I don't really understand the difference between:
1) assigning a scene to a button
2) assigning the device as a trigger in a scene 
3) assigning the device to a group

Any help here?

Offline HSD99

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:18:06 am »
Yes!  That's exactly what I was trying to do.  I want to control what it does, not the other way around. 
I made progress using this thread http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,85511.msg388632.html#msg388632
Now it works, except that off/on are backwards!

I'm very new to all of this.  I don't really understand the difference between:
1) assigning a scene to a button
2) assigning the device as a trigger in a scene 
3) assigning the device to a group

Any help here?
Don't feel bad...the terminology is often confusing. This is my understanding of the three cases you presented. For case 1), the scene is actually uploaded to the Cooper device, which is acting as another Z-Wave controller on the network.  For case 2), Vera uses the device as a keypad which sends various button codes, and uses those codes to trigger scene execution on Vera. This is the mode I use for my Remotec ZWC-90. For case 3), I believe this is using the Z-Wave "Association" functions to directly tie a button on the Copper device to a controlled device. Associations seem to cause a lot of trouble in that they are poorly understood and frequently don't work. Direct association and group is what is discussed on the thread you mentioned.

I don't know if Vera does this for the Cooper device, but they refer to "Scenes" on the remote when they really should say "Button." This drove me nuts until I found a forum post from another person who had spent a lot of time figuring this out and posted the correct info for the ZRC-90.

If you edit the scene you want triggered by the Cooper device, when you select "Trigger" do you see the Cooper device listed? If so, what options do you have?

If the above doesn't help, I would contact Customer Service. The are usually very helpful.

Offline bradkw

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 06:55:58 am »
Thanks for the scene/button clarification.  Also for the scene vs. group tutorial.  When this device is added, and I when I first click on "Select scenes for device buttons" it asks me how many buttons are on the device.  Depending on the number I tell it, that's how many scenes/buttons it things it has.  So to answer your question, when add this device as a trigger, I see the question "A button is pressed, Which button number __"

After all of this, I've made these observations:
1) Don't rush this thing.  When adding it, it will be recognized in the typical amount of time, but it won't work right away.  Give it time to communicate with Vera before trying to program it.  About an hour.  After an hour, it will tell Vera that it's called an "Anyplace Switch" and the name will change from whatever I named it when adding it.

2) The switch does not act as a traditional scene controller.  It does not seem to communicate that way.  I could only get it to work if I added it to a group, like the link above recommended.

3) After adding it to a group... wait!  When giving it the "Configure node right now" command and waking the device, it does not respond right away.  Wait an hour or so.

4) It only works as a single button.  Although it has on/off and bright/dim, those commands are not recognized separately.  on/off work only as a toggle and bright/dim do not function at all.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to correct some of the weird behavior, I'm open to suggestions!