We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: [Altsteon] KeypadLinc Help  (Read 12959 times)

Offline RyanAHolland

• Sr. Newbie
[Altsteon] KeypadLinc Help
« on: October 29, 2012, 05:51:18 pm »
I have dimmable Keypadlinc installed in my basement that I have yet to get to work properly.  I have set it up as per the instructions included in Altsteon.  Everything seems to go fine, the switch is added and eventually shows up in Vera.  However, I am unable to control it, it does not respond to on/off or dim commands.  It also does not report it state correctly.  When I go into settings > Device Options and try and select the button configuration (using the radio buttons), I can select one, but as soon as I leave the screen, that selection has been removed.

Also, I cannot seem to get the scene controller to show up.

I have the 8 button dimmable model running on a Vera Lite.

I am sure I have something screwed up, so if I need to reset my KeypadLinc and start fresh, I can certainly do that.  Thanks all.

Offline swazi

Re: [Altsteon] KeypadLinc Help
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:38:22 am »
I believe you have the same issue as me. See this post: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13910.0.html

Determine the sub category of your KPL. The easiest way is to go to the advanced tab of your device and look at subcat. If it is '12', your subcat is '0C'. Alternatively you can fire up putty, run altsteon_cli and run the command 'xx.xx.xx info' (xx.xx.xx beeing the address of your device). It should return the devcat and subcat.
Next look at the file I_InsteonPLM.xml. You can modify it to include your subcat if it is not there (search for '1B' - there are 2 places to update the code). Upload modified file. Next is where I am a bit unclear. The KPL only started working after I reloaded altseon daemon and physically unplugged vera to force a reboot.

Alternative approach (untested by me, but may work in theory and is easier): Delete the device and recreate it. But for the device ID dont use just xx.xx.xx   
Instead use xx.xx.xx,01,1C     
This should force the devcat and subcat. According to a insteon device list on the web the 8-button kpl may be '0C' or '1C' (and maybe others), but Altsteon only supports '1C' as far as I can tell. If at first this does not work try re-loading altsteon daemon and rebooting. If it still does not work you may have to go with option A

I found it usefull to have putty with altsteon_cli running in the background to see what was going on. Also check in the advanced tab of the device what the device_type is. Mine kept on defaulting to Dimmer until I added '0C' to I_InsteonPLM.xml

Offline RyanAHolland

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:31:07 am »
Well that did it, I can now run scenes from my keypad linc!!!!  Thanks for the help.  ;D

The only issue I have now is that I cannot control the load on the keypad linc from the UI5 interface.  I can send a command via the CLI and control the keypad.  The strange thing is if I press off while the load is on, it will switch to off on the interface, but the percentage will stay at 100% and the light will stay on.  I will go back through some older posts to see what I did the last time.

Offline swazi

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:37:21 pm »
Try resetting the KPL. I mucked so much with mine trying to get it to work that I had the ramp rate, max on level etc all messed up. Reset it to default and re-set it the way you want. I am not positive this is your issue but it's worth a try.

Offline RyanAHolland

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:12:08 am »
Thanks for the reply swazi.  I tried that and I still have the same issue.  I can control it via the command line, just not in the interface.

Offline swazi

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:01:57 am »
Try going through all the xml files related to kpl's. It may be that the "display files" also needs updating.

Did the kpl create a second "scene" device?

Offline RyanAHolland

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:53:53 am »
Yes, the second "scene" device shows up and it functions perfectly.  All of the buttons on the kpl work great.  The only issue is that when I try toggling the load on and off, nothing happens.  When I toggle it on from the physical switch, the interface shows the change.  When I use cli, I can turn the load on and off without issue.  I just can't use the interface to turn the light on and off.

When looking at the cli, I see the interface pass the command to the PLM, but it differs slightly from when I use the "xx.xx.xx on" command.

I will look through the xml files to see if the "0C" is missing.

Offline swazi

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 09:20:03 am »
I tested last night. Seems I have the same issue. Never noticed because I use the web interface only for admin. We'll have to wait for this to be open-sourced to dig into the code.

Offline RyanAHolland

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 09:22:53 am »
Good to know I am not the only one with the issue.  Thanks for the help!

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:31:03 am »
I have not had any issues with my kpl's or fanlincs with altsteon. What version are you running. Did you upload all the files? By the way altsteon is already open sourced. Look at the open source thread.

- Garrett

Offline swazi

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:55:09 am »
I have not had any issues with my kpl's or fanlincs with altsteon. What version are you running. Did you upload all the files? By the way altsteon is already open sourced. Look at the open source thread.

- Garrett

Garrett. The issue is our specific KPL's subcat is not included in Altsteon, so the daemon does not recognize the device as a kpl. Look at the post #2 for details.
I just realized it is now open sourced. When I get enough time I will dig into it. But for now the workaround mostly gives me what I need.

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 09:23:40 pm »
Guys -

Can you post the devcat and subcat for your devices?   Faking the devcat and subcat might work, but that wasn't really what I had in mind when I added that functionality so I can't promise everything will work.   You will probably also run in to issues with the version of the device.  (Is it I1, I2, or I2CS?)   So, the best way to fix the issue is to see if it is a subcat we don't recognize, and get it added.   (FWIW, if you change the subcats that are looked for in the LUA and don't change them in the daemon, you will probably get some strange results.)

I'll also pull the latest device list and make sure that we have all of the subcats listed.   However, I know that they sometimes take devices off, so getting your devcat and subcat information would be good.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline RyanAHolland

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 08:48:54 am »
fba,

My KPL is DevCat: 1, SubCat: 12.

The strange thing is if I issue the command "xx.xx.xx on" or "xx.xx.xx off" via the CLI, the light responds.  But when I do it via the vera interface, it does not.

Offline swazi

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:07 am »
fba,

My KPL is DevCat: 1, SubCat: 12.

The strange thing is if I issue the command "xx.xx.xx on" or "xx.xx.xx off" via the CLI, the light responds.  But when I do it via the vera interface, it does not.

Same DevCat/SubCat for me

Offline wgs

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 11:21:39 am »
I have a relay KPL with DevCat 2 / SubCat 44