We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UK energy monitor - EcoManager plugs and DIY interface  (Read 11864 times)

Offline Chris

Re: UK energy monitor - EcoManager plugs and DIY interface
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 06:08:25 pm »
I'm about to order the CC OptiSmart and have a play...

Cool, for Gas or electric consumption ?
Gas - if it works! Otherwise I'll probably just use it for the electric.

I hope to be able to use the white line sensor instead of the LED sensor that comes with the OptiSmart, but we'll see.....

Chris

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 06:21:34 pm »
Nice !  ;)

If you do do it with Gas, would you mind posting your findings in that specific UK Gas Monitoring post i mentioned earlier just in case there are any follows to that thread..  Cheers

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 04:39:57 am »
So you'll be guinea-pigs for me and test the OptiSmart support that I'll be putting into the CurrentCost plugin?  Pretty-please?

Offline Chris

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 08:40:03 am »
No problem - I've ordered it and it's on its way... I don't have a current cost system as such (just my home built receiver), but I can certainly let you know how the OptiSmart works once I've had a play.

Regarding gas measurement, it looks like the OptiSmart sensor plugs into the unit via an RJ12 plug. I'm hoping that I can simply connect this up to my "white line" sensor. I've already done a basic check that this sensor can detect the rotating disk - it takes power of a few volts to 5-6 volts and has an open collector output so is hopefully compatible... We'll see.....

Chris

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 04:23:52 pm »
OptiSmart support for the CurrentCost plugin: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,6752.msg94166.html#msg94166 (WIP)

Offline Chris

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 02:07:28 pm »
In case anyone is interested in this system, I now have the basic system operating, with Vera plugin. This just creates the devices on Vera, and reports the switch state and the power being used. At some point I'll add control of the switches...

If you're interested in this, let me know and I can release the plugin and write up how to get it working...

Chris

Offline Gjones

UK energy monitor - EcoManager plugs and DIY interface
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 02:18:57 pm »
Hi Chris

Any idea of timescale to control the devices. I'm trying work out the best way to control a number of sets of Christmas lights.

Thanks

Gareth.

Offline Chris

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 05:27:43 pm »
Any idea of timescale to control the devices. I'm trying work out the best way to control a number of sets of Christmas lights.
I'll probably add this later in the week. It's added into the controller code, but not the plugin yet as I'm working away from home for the next few days...

It should be pretty simple though.

Cheers
Chris

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 03:58:04 am »
Hi Chris, Futzle

With the Optismart, as it will read actual pulses, i assume it will report your usage more accurately

Could this allow you to enter a meter reading, and then in a (existing or new) plugin, it update that base value so you have a virtual meter (kW counter) that could be comparable to what would be on the actual meter and utility bill ?

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
UK energy monitor - EcoManager plugs and DIY interface
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 05:07:05 am »
Yeah, that's the idea.

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 08:05:44 am »
Yeah, that's the idea.

Thanks Futzle - that is a plugin I would like to have on my dash, something that shows me actual (current) usage but also my accumulated usage too.  I already use an iOS called Kwh which I have to manually enter my usage into. I have 3 years of data in here and it's a great app, as it allows me to see my past, current and future usage in many ways (ave daily, weekly, monthly etc.).

Considering you and Chris have done such a great job on developing Energy Monitoring and reporting plugins, I'm torn between them, and also that iOS app, yet I ultimately would like to back and invest in one horse..:)

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »
I ultimately would like to back and invest in one horse..

Well, I can give you inside information on my horse: I draw the line at what the monitor can tell me.  With the CurrentCost instantaneous power monitors that means power now, plus whatever history the base station keeps.  With the OptiSmart interval meters, that means total pulses ever counted*.  The intention is that if you disconnect the base station from Vera for a week, then reconnect it, you haven't lost anything.  I'm not in the market for making a data logging plugin, especially when there are already good ones out there.  (That's not to say that you can't attach a data logger to my plugin, indeed that's what I want people to do.)

* I will make one concession and provide a manual tare button to zero out the count.  It's implemented as a number that I subtract from the lifetime pulse count.  If you want to go in there and make it a negative number to match what your meter said the first time you attached OptiSmart to it, I won't stop you.