We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Smart Meters dangerous to health?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
Smart Meters dangerous to health?
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:25:17 am »
Hi

Was looking on Youtube and came across this video here. It suggests Smart Meters which are Zig-bee based normally are dangerous to health and your blood cells.

Is this just some wacky conspiracy theory? Never heard of this before. A Google search on the subject shows more sites campaigning to stop smart meters.

This got me wondering about all the Z-wave devices in my house as well  :o

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: Smart Meters dangerous to health?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:40:48 am »
I don't understand why they're getting so excited about Smart-Meters when most people in the world seem to spend a large part of their life with a transmitter held to the side of their head. ::)

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:44:30 am »
All reports so far across most countries; including World Health Organisation (WHO)  states we are safe from low power RF, including mobile phones, freq range around 400-2500 MHz. But all I have seen have not specified long term affects but monitoring has been going on for 20 years. 

More than likely your wireless network is stronger then the totally of your ZWave devices.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:45:49 am »

I don't understand why they're getting so excited about Smart-Meters when most people in the world seem to spend a large part of their life with a transmitter held to the side of their head. ::)
Worse, in their pockets!

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:55:39 am »
All the Z-wave devices have a Federal Communication Commission Interference Statement in their user manuals, but this just refers to interference with TVs and Radios etc and not any health statements.

WIFI is obviously more of a concern than low powered RF devices like Z-wave but I don't think most households could live without WIFI now, with the kids on their tablets and what not.

Our energy company hasn't rolled out Smart Meters yet so we haven't got them currently. Interesting video though!

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:12:33 am »
There was a similar nature of video released in Australia by one of the anti smart meter groups on the affects of EMI but it was found to be false .

This is ongoing propaganda which may have limited factual basis but not in my world. We had it both on fire danger and EMI here so it is all bad. They of course neglect every other device on a household which transmits or are a fire hazard.

For where I live, the house tests found the Baby Monitor produced higher EMI then other devices.  See
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/smart-meters/safety/health

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:01 am »