We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Dimmer Switch keeps disapearing  (Read 2402 times)

Offline andyvirus

Dimmer Switch keeps disapearing
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:21:30 am »
Hi,

I have many JSJS designs (Siemens) LightwaveRF dimmers. The are found perfectly when using a remote to pair them, i have not tried manually without a remote yet.
They function perfectly with this plugin with the default device_file D_BinaryLight1.xml.

If i change the device_file for that device to D_DimmableLight1.xml it works perfectly for a while but then the whole device in Vera just disappears and i have to re-pair the switch again.

Am I being dumb and this is not supported or is there a better way to make my dimmers dimable in vera?

Offline TommyE

Re: Dimmer Switch keeps disapearing
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:45:25 pm »
Hello

I have the exact same thing with nexa dimmers!

TommyE

Offline lolodomo

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:44:03 pm »
The change of device type must be done through the plugin UI, not by changing the variable device_type in the device advanced tab. The reason is that you have to change the (alt)id too.
The right way to do it is to use the "Add LWRF Dimmer". When the device already exists, the action will be a conversion to a dimmable light device.

Offline andyvirus

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 08:03:01 am »
Excellent, I will give that a try! Thanks again!

Offline andyvirus

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:32:24 am »
Looks like that solved it. It has been about a week and it has not disappeared, usually it does with in a day or so. Thanks!

I know it is off topic slightly but is there a similar way to convert LWRF AC Sockets (on/off/lock) and Door Sensors (opened/closed)? I obviously tried to change the Device_File for a door sensor to D_DoorSensor1.xml which I know now is NOT the way to do things. It did change the icon but that was about it. It pretty much did nothing else and stopped processing events for that device as could be expected.

Not urgent, just wondering if there was a way or if it is something that is planned. I know your working on a first official release of the plugin so this is low priority.

Thanks again, this plugin makes the Vera usable as alot of zwave devices are just hideous (light switches for example), the choice that this plugin brings is why I chose vera over any other comercial system.

Offline lolodomo

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:13:45 am »
I know it is off topic slightly but is there a similar way to convert LWRF AC Sockets (on/off/lock) and Door Sensors (opened/closed)? I obviously tried to change the Device_File for a door sensor to D_DoorSensor1.xml which I know now is NOT the way to do things. It did change the icon but that was about it. It pretty much did nothing else and stopped processing events for that device as could be expected.

Changing manually the type of the device could lead to unexpected behaviour of the plugin.

Not urgent, just wondering if there was a way or if it is something that is planned.

Not an easy way.
It is on a virtual TODO list but not something already planned.
BTW, I plan nothing as I do the things depending on my free time and mu wishes.

PS: currently I am spending more time on the Sonos plugin than on the RFXtrx plugin.