We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Very unhappy  (Read 9803 times)

Offline Dignan17

Very unhappy
« on: November 29, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »
I'm experiencing terrible delays and flaky behavior from my Vera. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

A little background: I started with all GE switches, lamp modules, and remotes. Everything worked flawlessly. I then bought a Vera Lite, moved all my equipment over to it, and it all worked flawlessly. THEN I moved, and that's when the problems started.

I had to leave my GE switches behind, so I purchased and installed some Intermatic switches (CA600's). I don't know if these are the source of my problem, but it seems like it. Almost all the time I'll get 10-20 second delays when activating scenes. I'll get some lights changing to the new scene, others going to random dim levels, others delaying, and then most of the time eventually all the lights will go to the right dim levels for the scenes I've made.

All my devices are reasonably close to each other, and usually respond to commands from AutHomation pretty well (though I have some problems there too, sometimes).

I've just been extremely dissatisfied, and I can't figure out what's going wrong. How do I fix this? I've already removed every single device and remote from the network, then reset the ZWave network in Vera, then added everything back, but I'm still having the same flaky problems as before.

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: Very unhappy
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:55 pm »
What you describe are symptoms consistent with a borderline too-sparse Z-Wave network.

Some brands of device, and some classes of device, have much less Z-Wave radio range than others.  I've seen users here on the forum have problems with locks and in-wall switches in particular.  It may well be that the Intermatic ones are just not getting enough signal and your mesh is intermittently breaking whenever there is radio interference from the world around them.

You could troubleshoot this by reducing your Z-Wave network to just one device that is very close to the Vera.  See if the reliability is any better.  Add one more device and experiment (at different times of day and night).  Grow the mesh one device at a time so that you can identify at what point the mesh got too sparse.

If the mesh network signal strength turns out to be the problem then you can improve it by adding more devices in between.  This is what I did in my house and it greatly improved the reliability and speed of commands.  Or you can experiment with replacing the Intermatic modules with a different brand, one that might have a longer range.  Either way, it's going to cost money, sorry.

Offline frichter09

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 06:12:48 pm »
Hi!
Have you ever run a network heal after moving things around?
Vera Lite (1), Kwikset Locks (2), 2Gig-CT30 Thermostat (1), D-Link IP Cam (1), Evolve DM-15 (1), Evolve LRM-15(AS) (4), Evolve LFM-20 (1), Evolve LSM-15 (1), Everspring Sensor (1), Intermatic HA02C (6), Intermatic HA03C (4), Wayne-Dalton HA-03WD (2), MCV Smart Switch (1)

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:23:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies, folks.

I apologize, I accidentally left out some information. When I reset my network and added all my devices back in, I noticed a decent improvement in performance, but that only lasted a day or two.

It's possible that I could be too sparse in my network, but that seems odd, unlikely, and/or disappointing to me. My Vera unit is right in the middle of my home, with the bulk of the switches 10' away with no obstructions. I have six switches within 6' of each other. What I've been seeing is that frequently one light will hang up the entire process, which already makes NO sense. I'll see my lights go to their dim level in a scene one by one, get hung up on one light for 10 seconds, that light will finally go, then the other lights will go. To me, this is NOT how ZWave is supposed to work and is extremely frustrating to me. Even when I felt everything was working OK after my network reset, I noticed that the lights seemed to respond in some sort of order. Before my Vera, when a scene was activated every light would respond at the same time and would do so immediately.

The behavior I'm seeing really isn't acceptable for a mesh network.

But I think you're right that I might need to swap out some switches. I'm going to try to go all GE for my critical lights on my main floor, and move my Intermatics to non-essential roles.

Hi!
Have you ever run a network heal after moving things around?
I ran one today, and will see if that helps anything...

Offline ehillis

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:12:36 pm »
Basic question. Did you remove all the GE devices you left behind as well as removing them from all scenes etc. From my own experience if not things go wonky.

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:37:04 pm »
Basic question. Did you remove all the GE devices you left behind as well as removing them from all scenes etc. From my own experience if not things go wonky.
It's been two months and a couple days since we moved out of our condo, so honestly I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I recall walking around and removing all the switches with the Vera in exclude mode.

So a ZWave reset does not do the equivalent of this anyway? I assumed that the process would wipe out any memory of previously-connected devices. I mean, just to be sure, before I did the reset I went and excluded every single ZWave device I had using the Vera Lite, in case any of my unused switches were perhaps associated with one of my unused GE remotes.

I've noticed that since running the heal AND since adding two GE switches to the mix, the reliability of the system seems to be improving. I still think I'll be heading to Lowes to pick up a few switches, though...

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:03:41 am »
Reset proccess is not enough...
exclude one by one is the best way. at least with me the things were well when I did it.
the problem is if you do not have the switches more with you...
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:47 am »
Reset proccess is not enough...
exclude one by one is the best way. at least with me the things were well when I did it.
the problem is if you do not have the switches more with you...
Well isn't that just a stupid way of doing it? There has to be some way to wipe out the memory of all past devices in Vera.

I'm pretty certain that I did exclude all the old switches before we left, and I know I excluded every single device in my new home before I did the network reset.

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:48:11 am »
This morning everything is as bad as it's ever been :(

I ran my main "evening" scene, and half the lights came on, everything paused for about 20 seconds, then some more came on, then about 10 seconds, then the rest.

I then tried my "movie" scene, which of course turns everything down to a very low level. Some of the lights responded, others took about 10 seconds, and one switched light completely f-ed up and went to full brightness, which is especially annoying.

Why did this change? Why did it work fine last night and then all of a sudden completely fail this morning? Why on earth would any of this change?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:42:19 am »
In seems to me ... from observation ... that if I ever get a delayed response from a ZWave device that Vera remembers it and does an automatic heal that evening and restarts.

The HEAL does not always work very good ... but it notices it ... and fixes it the next night.

I have some lights that are far from Vera ... these are the ones that have the most problems. But they are in places I hardly notice. All of the close devices (to Vera or other ZWave devices) work great.

Are your devices close  together ? Do you have some possible radio interference ?

Offline frichter09

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 10:36:55 am »
Dignan17,
Personally I don't think that you don't have enough devices.
I have a fairly big Z-Wave network and observed the same you did when executing scenes with many switches etc.
The problem is, if one node does not answer, it affects the following part of the scene if you have delays programmed.
This is how I fixed this:
For each switch, go to the settings, and put 0 (zero) for manual z-wave route under device options. This way the switch will talk directly to Vera! Once done with every node, run a network heal. After the heal go to setup --> zwave settings and disable "use Vera routing instead of z-wave", which will disable the nightly automatic heal.
Please let us know if there are any improvements. I do agree with the other posters, I d not buy GE. Go with Evolve instead.
Let us know,
Flo

EDIT:
What plugins do you have installed? ERGY by any chance?
Also, when you do the heal, how does your heal report look?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:40:04 am by frichter09 »
Vera Lite (1), Kwikset Locks (2), 2Gig-CT30 Thermostat (1), D-Link IP Cam (1), Evolve DM-15 (1), Evolve LRM-15(AS) (4), Evolve LFM-20 (1), Evolve LSM-15 (1), Everspring Sensor (1), Intermatic HA02C (6), Intermatic HA03C (4), Wayne-Dalton HA-03WD (2), MCV Smart Switch (1)

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 01:43:51 pm »
Frichter09,

then for big zwave network the recommendation is that ?

"For each switch, go to the settings, and put 0 (zero) for manual z-wave route under device options. This way the switch will talk directly to Vera! Once done with every node, run a network heal. After the heal go to setup --> zwave settings and disable "use Vera routing instead of z-wave", which will disable the nightly automatic heal.
"

and if I change a switch or dimmer from my network ? is some tip to run ? how stay a network that has devices changed?

thanks.. my worry is because my network will be big...and can have problem some day.
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline frichter09

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:49 pm »
Frichter09,

then for big zwave network the recommendation is that ?

"For each switch, go to the settings, and put 0 (zero) for manual z-wave route under device options. This way the switch will talk directly to Vera! Once done with every node, run a network heal. After the heal go to setup --> zwave settings and disable "use Vera routing instead of z-wave", which will disable the nightly automatic heal.
"

and if I change a switch or dimmer from my network ? is some tip to run ? how stay a network that has devices changed?

thanks.. my worry is because my network will be big...and can have problem some day.

Sorry Piwtorak,
Im not sure what you are trying to say.

Yes, this is my recommendation for the problems the OP is experiencing.

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 02:34:19 pm »
ok Frichter...

I tried say if some device burns and I must change that...how can I exclude that device from my vera3...to free that memory position...

Offline frichter09

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 03:10:21 pm »
ok Frichter...

I tried say if some device burns and I must change that...how can I exclude that device from my vera3...to free that memory position...

You would exclude the device like any other device.
If its burned out, you throw it away anyways :)