We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Very unhappy  (Read 9723 times)

Offline Piwtorak

Re: Very unhappy
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 05:00:54 pm »
thanks!  I understand...
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 06:58:13 pm »
Today I picked up four dimmer switches from a local Lowes (well, not that local, I had to go pretty far out of my way), and swapped three of my Intermatic switches.

The reason I went with GE is because of the lack of problems I'd had with them in my old condo, so I thought I'd go with them again.

Well, after excluding the replaced Intermatics then installing and including the GE switches, I'm pretty much right back where I started. The scenes are very flaky in general.

The worst behavior I'm seeing is this: lets say I'm going from my TV-watching scene - which has most lights dimmed a good ways already, but still plenty of light - to my movie-watching scene, which turns almost all the lights off but leaves a couple at an extremely low dim level.

For some reason, when I go from my TV scene to my movie scene, most of the time a few of the lights that are getting turned off will go to FULL BRIGHTNESS then eventually go off. Clearly this is NOT at all what should happen, and I find it incredibly annoying.

One question for you guys: could I have power issues? Could there be something wrong with the electrical wiring in my home? Apparently the guy we bought the house from considered himself a real DIY-er, to the detriment of the house. There's a ton of stuff that was done completely wrong, and I worry that the wiring could be one of them...

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 12:04:28 pm »
Okay, I'm even less pleased now. I just had a scene go off at a completely random time. Nothing was touched, no scenes were activated by any controllers, and my dashboard is saying that the last time any of the triggers were activated was yesterday. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?

Please, I really need help here, folks.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 01:27:02 pm »
From Setup > Location
Have you verified both the time zone and your current city (note both are independently of each other). Even they they appear correct, you can try changing to another time zone, saving and then changing back. It has been previously reported that this has caused others issues.

Also, you can utilize the Dashboard and Overview to see when the next event is due to occur

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 01:55:21 pm »
From Setup > Location
Have you verified both the time zone and your current city (note both are independently of each other). Even they they appear correct, you can try changing to another time zone, saving and then changing back. It has been previously reported that this has caused others issues.

Also, you can utilize the Dashboard and Overview to see when the next event is due to occur
Yes, both fields are correct.

But that doesn't matter, because for some reason it's turning on lights that I don't even have in a scene together! This is seriously weird. It did it again this morning, and it turned on all the lights in two rooms, but there is no scene in my system that only turns those particular lights on. This was a mix of switched lights and lamps.

Very frustrated here...

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
Very unhappy
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 03:11:27 pm »
The long or short whichever way you look at this would be to exclude all devices, reset z-wave network, reset your Vera and start over. There is no logical reason for the behaviour your experiencing and you could spend an inordinate amount of time trying to work though it, so depending on your network size, it may be quicker to start from the beginning before you loss your sanity.

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 03:14:23 pm »
for some reason it's turning on lights that I don't even have in a scene together!

It's sounding like you have some serious radio interference.  Z-Wave commands have a checksum but it's still possible for the command and the checksum to both be corrupted, resulting in an actual command.

Things to try:

Delete ALL your scenes.  Wait.  Don't activate anything on the Vera.  Do lights still do weird things?

Turn OFF the Vera.  Wait.  Do lights still do weird things?

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:25 am »
I will try your suggestions. Thanks. Is there a way to make my Vera Lite think it's just out of the box again? Can I reset it to factory defaults somehow?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »
Under Setup Backup

There is a Restore to Factory Defaults.

But You also need to reset the Z-Wave to a NEW network so it looses all associations with existing devices:

Under Setup Z-Wave Settings  Advanced
    Do Reset Z-Wave Network and Reset-Z-Wave-Chip.
I think it's the first one that does it ... but I can't remember for sure ... doing both will do the trick.

Then you will need to exclude than include each Z-Wave device.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:16:43 pm by RichardTSchaefer »

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 12:21:36 am »
Thanks so much for the instructions. They're much appreciated. I think I might do this tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm also beginning to worry about an electrical issue with one of my switches, but that may not have anything to do with the others. Not sure...

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »
Update:

I'm cautiously optimistic. At the moment, everything is working exactly as expected, with a split-second delay on commands sent through AutHomation or the only 45601 I have set up on the system. I have several scenes that are all working as they should, and even the remote connection from AutHomation is only getting a ~second delay.

But I don't want to call it fixed yet. I've had it working this well in this house before, and then it went to pot. I'll see how it goes for the next week before I call this problem licked.

Thanks, though, to you guys for helping me out here!

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 01:37:39 pm »
Uh-oh. Late this morning, I had one of my scenes go on by its self.

What on earth could be causing this? It seems odd to me that interference would happen to set off a scene, specifically. That's weird.

What the heck is going on?

Also, I'm pretty sure that while we were out last night, our front door lock randomly opened on its own, which is obviously NOT a good thing to have happen...

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »
Okay, every day at about the same time I have lights turning on.

All the lights coming on are in several scenes, but the dim levels they all end up in aren't in any of my scenes at the same time.

This appears to be happening sometime between 10am and 12pm. None of my scenes are triggered by anything happening at that time. I have completely wiped and rebuilt my Vera twice now, and it's still happening. The general performance is much better than it was a few weeks ago, but these lights still keep turning on randomly!

PLEASE HELP!!

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 07:23:03 pm »
Disconnect you Vera for 1 day.
This will help to see if the problem is with Vera or EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) from other nearby devices.

r.t.s.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 04:06:17 pm »
Disconnect you Vera for 1 day.
This will help to see if the problem is with Vera or EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) from other nearby devices.

r.t.s.

I think that this is a simply and easy troubleshooting step, so it is worth a try. However, I think that the reasoning is wrong.

When issuing Z-Wave commands, a fair bit of data must be delivered including the network(home)ID, device ID, command etc. Furthermore, this information may or may not be encrypted. If any of these parts of the command are not correct, the command will fail or possibly execute incorrectly.

While it is entirely possible for interference to hinder or block a command, it should not be possible for spurious signals to be interpreted as a command. In other words, interference may prevent a command from working, but it should be impossible for interference to mysteriously turn on a light.

If I am mistaken, please feel free to correct me. However, if I am mistaken and spurious signals can indeed be interpreted as commands that are then executed, then Z-Wave would not be secure and would not be suitable for devices such as locks or security systems. Basically it would be like old garage door openers before the advent of rolling codes. Anyone could walkup with a controller and activate your devices.