Author Topic: Noob question: Notify on multiple (ALL) triggers from one device?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline GroundLoop

I apologize if this is a basic question.. I'm pretty new at Vera and the Scene/Trigger/App interaction, but really liking Vera Alerts so far.  It's working perfectly (and FAST!) to my Android phone, and I can do basic Trigger->Scene->Device->Notify actions to turn one trigger into one message on the phone.

I'd like to ask if there is any way to get a Notification on *many* triggers from a device, such as a Door Lock.
I want to know if a good pin was entered (and which index), and if a bad pin, and if it was manually locked -- all of it.

I believe I can make a Scene for each, with a unique Trigger for each, and a notice for each, but it's starting to really fill up my Scene list with three users and three locks.  This is going to be dozens of scenes.

Is there any (programmatic) way to take a list of devices and a list of Trigger events and say "notify on all these"?

If there was a master-list of "all possible Triggers" in the entire Vera system, with a check-box by each one to say "Notify me when this happens", that would also be cool.  Or even a way to dump them all into a text file, and prune that down manually and then feed that list to a function.  Am I nuts? :)

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
Re: Noob question: Notify on multiple (ALL) triggers from one device?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »
I think what you propose can be done with Vera Alerts today. With all the SMTP and who to alert options you should be in the clear.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:56:45 pm »
You can click the wrench on your lock.
Then go to the Notifications tab.
Then create a notification for each event your are interested in:
  • Battery Low
  • Pin 1 Entered
  • Invalid Code
  • Door Unlocked
Set your user for each.
Close
Repeat for each device you want to add notifications for.
Save (Red save button ... upper right).
Go to Vera Alerts device.
Go to Additional Configuration tab
Close and Save.
Let Vera Alerts talk your ear off :)

Offline GroundLoop

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:29:56 am »
You can laugh, but I had no idea Vera Alerts tied into the regular Notifications!  That's much easier.
I thought that list was just for Vera (built-in) Notifications (SMS & Email).

I've been using Vera Alerts only as an action Device from the Triggered Scene->Advanced (Device/VeraAlert).

I've turned off both email & SMS from Vera, and this works as a faster/cleaner substitute.   Thanks.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 08:30:40 am »
You can laugh, but I had no idea Vera Alerts tied into the regular Notifications!  That's much easier.
I thought that list was just for Vera (built-in) Notifications (SMS & Email).

It was MCV only ... until the most recent release of Vera Alerts ... you need to keep up :)

Vera Alerts also does Email(SMTP) and SMS indirectly; since most phone companies have Email to SMS gateways.