Author Topic: Idea for a feature enhancement - Tag for executing Tasker tasks  (Read 1460 times)

Offline signal15

Idea for a feature enhancement - Tag for executing Tasker tasks
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:59:48 pm »
What about adding a tag for Tasker to have it execute tasks?  Say I had a task called "ScannerRadioPlay" that started Scanner Radio Pro and made it start playing.  I could create a Scene called Scanner Radio Play, and have it send as a text string {tasker:ScannerRadioPlay} which wouldn't speak anything, but would start scanner radio playing on my speaker system in my house.  I could have another one for stopping it.

And I could use the Virtual Switch plugin to turn it on and off.  It could even be used for Pandora or any number of other apps that can be controlled through Tasker.

Right now, I'm in the process of getting the tasks set up in Tasker.  And for now, I'm going to have tasker use the HTTP get method to pull the status of a Virtual Switch through the web API thing and start or stop it accordingly.  Having a tag in Vera Alerts would be much easier.

Alternatively, a tag to send intents would probably work also.  There's an app called Intent Investigator or something similar that can be used to discover the intents that are being sent to do things, and it wouldn't be hard to discover what was required to start/stop playing audio or other things.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:01:54 pm by signal15 »

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
Re: Idea for a feature enhancement - Tag for executing Tasker tasks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:58:23 pm »
I'm assuming that you want this audio to be played through your android phone which is piped into your who;e house audio. What happens when a Vera Alerts message comes through? Does the phone duck the audio while the message is being played? What about phone horse power? Would the combined chores of playing music and alerts swamp the phone? Furthermore, is there a way to remotely control the playlist on the phone? I personally queue up music on the fly as I see fit at the moment via winamp on my PC. This is an important feature to me which is basically unavailable under any other conditions.

Good idea there about Tasker integration.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline signal15

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:11:18 am »
I've manually started Scanner Radio and voice announcements just play over the scanner.  It doesn't stop the audio.  I suppose with music you'd want the audio to stop, but for the scanner radio, it's not talking all the time, so it doesn't matter too much.  The vera alerts are still intelligible over the scanner audio.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:25:12 am »
I already plan to have Vera Alerts NOT announce while you are on the phone ... it will queue up the message. It is very difficult to follow a conversation on the phone when your nagging house is yelling at you!

Offline signal15

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 01:29:41 pm »
Any word on the new version?  Will it have non-C2DM capability?