We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Fibaro Bypass - where have you fitted it ? (resolved - Thanks!)  (Read 15668 times)

Offline mzpost

Fibaro Bypass - where have you fitted it ? (resolved - Thanks!)
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:51:25 pm »
I've just got a Fibaro Bypass to try and overcome the issue of LED lights not being "off" when the dimmer is set to "off" (as per my other post there is still voltage at the socket even when the dimmer is off).

My question is where do you fit the bypass ?.  Looking at the instructions they suggest a neutral with a wire either side of the bulb.  Some websites suggest that the bypass sits in the switch box (not likely it's already full!).

I was interested to see where people are fitting these in UK wiring systems. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:48:18 am by mzpost »

Offline djs73

Re: Fibaro Bypass - where have you fitted it ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:36:33 pm »
It shouldn't matter really, as the wire (load) from the switch runs straight to the light. So wherever it is most convenient to fit is good. I've fit most at the light fixture because my concern was more with heat. But with my (led) lights they haven't really gotten hot anyways.

Offline mzpost

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:41:24 am »
That's what I thought although the wiring diagram shows it in parallel with the light.  I'm in the UK and at the light end (ceiling rose) there is the line and neutral coming into the socket, therefore I'm just going to include this in the neutral line at the ceiling rose (as there is a connector block there) and see if that works.

It says on the unit it's 1W, have you noticed if yours actually get hot ?

Offline djs73

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:52:42 am »
They go 'lukewarm' here

Offline Quinten

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 04:27:21 pm »
You need to install them in the ceiling rose, parallel to the light.  Be aware that if the load is low, they still may not go out completely.  I have one on 2x 3W leds and one of the bulbs remains glowing ever so faintly.  Funnily enough if you unscrew the other bulb, the glowing one goes out, and remains out after you've screwed the bulb back in...  until you switch the lights on again.

So in short, the bypass may not cure it...
VeraLite - UI7 1.7.947 | 8x Fibaro FGD211 | 2x Fibaro FGS221 | 1x Fibaro FGBS321 | 3x Fibaro FGRGBW | 1x Everspring SP814 | 2x Everspring AN157-3 | 2x Heatmiser PRT-TS WiFi | 1x Logitech Harmony Hub | 1x Philips LivingColour

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 04:36:42 pm »
I'm still amazed that this 'add-on' is needed, it's a bit cheeky really..
Why Fibaro can't make the module work with light loads under 25watts

I'm running with an old fashioned 60watt bulb for the moment. I wonder if he bypass add on at £10 is actually cost effective..

Offline mzpost

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 10:41:56 am »
Thanks everyone, I'm going to give it a go I'll pop in at the ceiling end.  I don't mind the LED having a bit of a glow but currently when I turn the dimmer to off with any LED bulb it does not go off.

A non dimmable LED just goes crazy and strobes and an dimmable LED just sits there with exactly the same brightness no matter if the dimmer is on full or off (I've set the dimmer to act as an on/off switch as per the Fibaro instructions).

The guys at vesternet have been helpful in forwarding this issue on to Fibaro but so far no feedback at all from Fibaro as far as I know.  It still seems very odd to me that "off" does not actually mean "off" there is still power flying around.  My view could just be my lack of knowledge and understanding, but my electrician who's work on many types of products and installations was more than a little surprised to see some sort of signal still buzzing around in the "off" condition.

Offline mzpost

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 06:20:59 am »
The instructions show that this should be installed on the neutral but it makes zero difference! (I'm running a dimmable 8w LED and installed this in the ceiling rose on the blue neutral).  Am I putting it in the right place ?

The 8W dimmable bulb is a VIRIBright LED, it's clearly not suitable for Fibaro modules it flickers when on or off (changing the switch makes zero difference to the bulb it stays the same).  I have another 5W LED bulb that works fine in the on position but goes crazy in the off position (that is not dimmable).

If I've wired the bypass incorrectly it would be great if someone could advise.  It would appear that if you want to run LED bulbs then it's not a simple thing to do with these modules, might be helpful if the Fibaro published a list of bulbs that are suitable for use!.   Feeling a little unimpressed, currently the system will increase my bills not reduce them!.

Offline Quinten

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 03:42:27 pm »
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y5v4l0xpoq2c5zj/XIa8cOPHCF/Photo%2028-02-2012%2019%2018%2011.jpg

Hopefully you can see the picture.  The bypass is on the blue and brown wires, so Live and Neutral, in parallel to the load.
VeraLite - UI7 1.7.947 | 8x Fibaro FGD211 | 2x Fibaro FGS221 | 1x Fibaro FGBS321 | 3x Fibaro FGRGBW | 1x Everspring SP814 | 2x Everspring AN157-3 | 2x Heatmiser PRT-TS WiFi | 1x Logitech Harmony Hub | 1x Philips LivingColour

Offline mzpost

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 05:27:42 am »
Quinten

Thank you, that's excellent ha ha I had to do a double take at your picture as at first glance it looks like you have two neutrals going in! (just the way the wires sit in the photo).  I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to take the photo and upload it, thank you.

This certainly makes the most sense and whilst having a look on the net last night found a diagram that showed the same, that's about the third one I've found now all different.

I will give this a go  :)

Offline mzpost

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 06:08:43 am »
Thanks to the help on here that's now all up and running, even works with the dimmable bulb (although not tried it with dimming yet it's certainly stopped having the flickering fit it was).

Thanks to everyone that helped.

I'll just keep an eye on it now to see how warm it gets as it's sat pressed against the wires in the ceiling rose.  If it's doing it' just I'd only expect it to get "warm" as people have reported. 

Having spent £10 on the bypass and £10 on the LED bulb (which I already had) I'm not sure how many millions of years I need to run the light bulb for this to be a cost effective exercise!  ;D

Offline Quinten

Re: Fibaro Bypass - where have you fitted it ? (resolved - Thanks!)
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 06:16:12 am »
Excellent, glad I could help.  I took those pictures when I installed mine a while ago, so no effort involved ;)