We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Combining Sonos and a PC  (Read 4030 times)

Offline lolodomo

• Master Member
Combining Sonos and a PC
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:33:06 am »
For people having a PC with external amplified speakers, did you try to put a Sonos Connect between the PC audio output and these speakers ?
That's way, the speakers can be used in conjonction with the Sonos connect to deliver music like any Sonos unit, and secondly the PC sound card can become a (line-in) source for all the Sonos network.

Of course the rendering quality will depend on the speakers quality. That might a lot of money for a bad quality...

By the way, any experience of such a setup ?
No delay introduced by the Sonos line-in ?

PS: regarding the delay on the line-in, I noticed a little delay introduced by my Connect:Amp.

Offline lolodomo

• Master Member
Re: Combining Sonos and a PC
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:49:24 am »
Or will it be a better choice to have a Play:5 and so replacing the PC speakers too ?

Any experience of using a Play:5 as PC speakers ?

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:29:17 am »
If money was no object, get 2 x P3s or P5s and set them up in Stereo mode :-) (it's a feature you can enable on the Sonos)

I've used the line-in for a number of things in the past, and while the sound is very good (hey come on it's a Sonos) , you can still see/hear a very slight delay, not an issue for PC sounds or music,  but it might be too much if watching a video/movie (lip-sync)

I should add - it's been a while since I did this, so the timing/delay might have improved

guest13549

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:41:05 am »
I have a Play:5 as PC speaker, it works fine, and I don't see any lipsync issues. I know for a fact, that if you need to transmit the input sound onto any other sonos device and avoid lip sync issues, you need to disable compression. Anyway, I'm happy with the P5 since I can use it for multiple use cases now.

Having said that, I seldom use it for sonos network play, 98% of the time, it does only PC output sound.

Edit: Disable compression, not enable!