Author Topic: Micasaverde @ CES 2013 (NEW VERA'S!)  (Read 14595 times)

guessed

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, UI-Broken#5
Re: Micasaverde @ CES 2013 (NEW VERA'S!)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 10:00:32 am »
We're also starting to see a new raft of existing, mature (and stable) products being "extended" to support Z-Wave.  Things like Indigo (Beta of version 6, Mac) support Z-Wave now:
    http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/indigo/index.html

Indigo has been around for a long time in the Insteon/X10 world, and has all the normal stuff you'd expect within the product (plugin model, graphical scene editor).

The existing functionality looks quite mature, so it'll be interesting to see if they can evolve the Z-Wave side. 

I'm looking forward to these folks "upping the bar" on what's needed in HA.
Home automation, $$$, using forum search, priceless:

Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 10:23:19 am »
Homeseer3 is due for beta release this month also which will support Linux as well.

intveltr

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 11:28:37 am »
Hm. Friend of mine switched from HomeSeer to Vera, mostly for lack of support for certain devices. The grass is always greener... :)
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

guessed

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, UI-Broken#5
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 11:28:58 am »
And of course, Fibaro just hit the US also...
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/11/fibaro-home-automation-hands-on/

... although there appear to be both +ve and -ve comments about their controllers.  IIRC they were MiOS at one point and they dumped it for a custom implementation.
Home automation, $$$, using forum search, priceless:

Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 11:35:33 am »
Hm. Friend of mine switched from HomeSeer to Vera, mostly for lack of support for certain devices. The grass is always greener... :)

I also switched from Homeseer Pro to Vera but I would always state their support was excellent.

Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 12:33:54 pm »
And of course, Fibaro just hit the US also...
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/11/fibaro-home-automation-hands-on/

... although there appear to be both +ve and -ve comments about their controllers.  IIRC they were MiOS at one point and they dumped it for a custom implementation.

And... If you take a look at their forum and what is being developed, you may find they have not completely left their past behind.

michaelk

• Beta Testers
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 01:40:38 pm »

I also switched from Homeseer Pro to Vera but I would always state their support was excellent.

i switched from the homeseer PC software to vera. I'd agree their support was real (unlike vera's). But i do like vera better (when it works)- and particularly now that there are plugings from the community that give us simple and/or logic.

I just wish vera wasn't so flaky and MCV/MIOS cared about their current customers as much as the future ones they keep dreaming about getting.

S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 03:57:43 pm »
@ those who switched from HomeSeer.

What made you do it?
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 04:07:53 pm »
For me it was driven by a change in my than business and switching off a server. The design of HS2 is quite old and they have been talking about HS3 for a number of years. I was also switching from x10 to z-wave and Vera was there at the right time compared to other products available here. I still have it loaded and occasional use it but rather rarely.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:17:15 pm by Brientim »

chixxi

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 05:02:28 am »
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost.
=> Best way to search: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aforum.micasaverde.com+searchterm

Aaron

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 07:32:28 pm »
Homeseer3 is due for beta release this month also which will support Linux as well.

I was an avid Homeseer user for many years up until 2 years ago... about 50% into v2's life.  In V1 nothing could touch it outside of Crestron, etc. V2 was buggy garbage from Day1 and the price shot through the roof. I'd never touch Homeseer again unless they paid me to use it. Plus, the linux "support" is using Mono... it is still a .net app. The developers there are almost as bad as the ones at MCV... but at least the Homeseer guys know how a Home Automation should be designed/layout/flow... MCV does not.

There are MUCH better PC/MAC based apps like Elve and Indigo.

And, if MCV does not get their crap together and forget about making new hardware until they get ther software worth a crap I'll likely moving to a different platform that is much more mature and/or have better developers... like ISY and a few others.

If it was not for the user community Vera would be overpriced by 300% for what you get... with the user community it is only 200% overpriced.
I got mine for less than 50% retail, which is the only reason I have it.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:35:47 pm by Aaron »

michaelk

• Beta Testers
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 08:04:02 pm »
@ those who switched from HomeSeer.

What made you do it?

I owned HS1 that only ran on a PC- they hadn't yet come along yet with their appliance.

Then they came out with HS2 for the PC and also the dedicated appliance. I didn't want to spend the $$$ for their dedicated device (in hindsight - i think like many- I've found I've spend piles more on devices and my time so maybe more for the actual "brain" wouldn't have been so silly) so i had it running on a windows PC. Windows PC just wasn't any fun for power or reliability.  (someone actually built a device and a plugin that looked for a heartbeat from your PC and if it locked up then it would pull power to reboot)

The other issues i had way back then was it seemed way more complex then I (firmly in the joe six pack camp) felt comfortable.  Not sure what the situation really is now but at the time everything seemed like it needed a lot of complex configuration to work. Also at the time you needed plugins to to almost anything and many of the plug ins cost money.

Particularly annoying was-  again back at the time - perhaps still now- Homeseer charged for many of their own plugins. So features that i felt should have been free wont up costing more- i guess in hindsight there were at least features to add instead of needing to rely on the community to supply. I can't recall 100% but it was along the lines of x10 was free but to add insteon or z-wave you had to pay another 10 bucks. I guess that's better than waiting for MCV to ever enable insteon or x10 in a real manner. Maybe if it was 10 bucks MCV/MIOS would actually write some new code ever now and again.

I also tried mcontrol for a time.

But in the end vera just seemed 'simple enough' for me to use. Still i  feel like it is (for the most part) simple enough for me. Especially now that there are so many plugins that keep me from needing to learn LUUP or understand enough to take other peoples snippets and configure/edit for my own setup.  Could be that after years of playing i now would find HS to be simple also. Now really sure.

chixxi

Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost.
=> Best way to search: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aforum.micasaverde.com+searchterm

smilepak

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:53 pm »
Release date?

signal15

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:21 pm »

Just curious but what competition are you referring to? I haven't investigated alternatives since I originally settled on a Vera around 2 years ago

HomeSeer

HomeSeer might be competition, but it's WAY more expensive and requires an always on windows PC to run.  The nice thing about Vera is that it's a tiny box that takes almost no power, and it allows you to easily write LUA to accomplish whatever you want without having to hack the crap out of it.

It would be nice to have a nicer UI, but realistically, I never use it unless I'm trying to automate something.  I look at automation as things that are done automatically for me, not things that I have to log into a UI to manually do.  Ideally, I'd never have to log into the UI.  If I want to turn something on/off manually, I usually do it with HomeBuddy or AuthomationHD anyway, not the UI.