We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: resolved>> TTS does not work :-s  (Read 21735 times)

Offline Cor

resolved>> TTS does not work :-s
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:14 pm »
hello ,

I installed the sonos plugin, and I can controll the sonos via vera3, that is ,stop play, play favourites etc...
But when i go to the player tab and type a text (just one line) in the "say" column and click "say", nothing happends.
I see on the sonos interface on the computer "cannot play say68.mp3 , station not found"   What do I need to do to get it working?

thanks,
Cor

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:20:53 am by Cor »

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: TTS does not work :-s
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 03:38:14 pm »
I have a Vera3, but I don't have anything connected to the switch ports on the back of it... that stuff [typically] has a separate sub-net (192.168.81.*).

I'm guessing, based upon what's being seen in the other thread, that you might have your Sonos units connected over the Switch ports on the back of the Vera 3.  Not sure if this will work since the "Say" method directs the Sonos units to "call" a URI on Vera's "front-end" interface (which is on your LAN)

If you have this config, try moving the ZB wiring to a regular switch port on your LAN.  If it's not, please outline how you have things wired up.

Also, you can try the URI from your browser:
    http://<veraIP>/Say.68.mp3

It should display the player for the last "Say" command you ran.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:19:09 pm by guessed »

Offline Cor

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:07:22 pm »
@Guessed:

Just tried with explorer   http://10.0.0.90/Say68.mp3    no joy , I get an error message saying, "this page con not be found"

I don't use the connectors on the back of the vera3 also the wifi function is disabled, the setup I have:

Modem (thompson TG ???) the sonos bridge is directly connected to the modem
-on the modem is also a switch connected, vera3 is connected via the switch to the modem
-Play 3 is not connected via a wire but wireless.

I can controll the Play3 via vera3how I want, play radiostations, stop mute, volume controll etc. But when I type something in the column "say" and click the "say"button , nothing happends and I see briefly on a computer with the sonos interface open "cannot play say68.mp3"

any idea?

thanks,
Cor

Offline hek

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:13:21 pm »
Try:

http://10.0.0.90/Say.<deviceId>.mp3

...or maybe filename has been changed recently in the plugin....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:18:03 pm by hek »

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 04:19:30 pm »
Sorry, yes, should have the extra dots in it.  I've modified the original example to match.

Offline Cor

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:35:06 pm »
My computer now talks to me:-) , so that works.....

But now the play 3 :-)

Offline hek

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:03:40 pm »
Could you pehaps ssh into your Vera and run:

Code: [Select]
GetNetworkState.sh ip_wan

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 05:09:43 pm »
My computer now talks to me:-) , so that works.....

But now the play 3 :-)
So there's some sort of connectivity problem from the Sonos unit TO the Vera.  If I were to guess, I'd say that the Switch you've listed is actually some sort of Router, or there's some other NAT device in the way.

A few questions:
a) Can you move the Sonos3 to be connected to the same switch as the Vera unit?
b) Can the Sonos play music from your PC (and, if so, where is the PC connected in this setup)

Offline Cor

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 05:39:46 pm »
@ Hek:   no clue what SSH is :-s

@ Guessed:

here is my setup:

Modem has 2 ports , one is connected to the sonos bridge , the other one is connected to the switch (what is NAT?)
-the switch has 8 ports and has my main computer where all the music is on and vera 3 and all my other devices.

In short main computer and vera3 is connected to the modem via a switch and the sonos bridge is directly connected to the modem.

The sonos 3 is connected wirelesly to my network , I can for test connect it to the router as well, will that be good to test?
The sonos PLAY3 can play music from my main computer, and also play radiostations.

Cor

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 06:08:04 pm »
It would be worth running the command @hek references above.  You can "login" to your Vera, using SSH, as described here:
    http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Logon_Vera_SSH

This will get you a command-line interface to Vera, from which you can run the command that @hek mentions.

Barring that, it would be worthwhile simplifying the setup, such that you're only using the 8-Port switch (and not the second port on the Modem)

The other thing that might provide a clue is the exact make/model of the various switches, modems, routers, wifi units (etc) that are "in between" Vera and the Sonos unit.

For example:
Vera -> Switch (a)
Sonos -> Wifi (c)
PC (d) -> Switch (a)
Switch (a) -> Modem (b)
Wifi (c) -> Modem (b)

Switch (a) = Netgear GS108E
Modem (b) =
Wifi (c) =

Offline Cor

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »
Lot's of testing this evening ... no joy :-(

I first tried putty to login on the vera,this went well , but how do I execute the "GetNetworkState.sh ip_wan"  I copied it to the clipboard , clicked on the right mouse button when I was in the putty window and clicked enter. Noting happened. But I copied all the text from putty at the bottom of this message ... maybe you can get some info out of it.

Than I disconnected my vera 3 and connected it directly to my modem on port 1 and the sonos bridge is on port 2.
I can via the vera3 interface start and stop a radiostation, but when I type a text and click on say , nothing happends , when I look on my computer and look at the sonos interface it shows where the station is displayed "say.68.mp3", and a second later  "cannot play say.68.mp3 , station not found".
When I enter this adress on my webbrowser my computer talks "http://10.0.0.90/Say.68.mp3" .

My question, what generates the mp3 file which needs to be played?

Here is my full setup:

Modem (thompson TG585 v70) , 2 top connectors are for "normal" use, port 3 and 4 are reserved by my provider for TV.
-Port 1 Sonos bridge (SONOS ZB: IP 10.0.0.6)
-Port 2 Cisco linksys SE 2800 switch ,on this switch all ports are connected to computers, webcams and offcourse vera3
-The modem has wifi enabled and my notebook is connected via that one
-The Sonos Play3 is NOT wired, but acces the modem via wifi ( SONOS ZP : IP 10.0.0.10).

Another question: the Play 3 , is it "talking" with my network via the bridge , or is it talking direct to my modem via wifi? I guessed this was the purpose of the bridge. Hence the sonos bridge is connected to my modem, which is in a better area in my house, the switch is in the basement where all cables from various devices come together.

|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M

-------------- Backfire (10.03) -------------------

---------------------------------------------------
  ***      MiOS LTD. ( www.mios.com )        ***
  ***               WARNING :                ***
  *** Any changes made to the system without ***
  *** guidance from MiOS support will VOID   ***
  *** your future Support requests           ***
 ---------------------------------------------------
root@MiOS_30101532:~# GetNetworkState.sh ip_wan
10.0.0.90root@MiOS_30101532:~#
root@MiOS_30101532:~# GetNetworkState.sh ip_wan
10.0.0.90root@MiOS_30101532:~# GetNetworkState.sh ip_wan
10.0.0.90root@MiOS_30101532:~#
root@MiOS_30101532:~#
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:44:18 pm by Cor »

Offline peterluc8080

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 05:48:29 pm »
I have the same problem as you! I can control the sonos play3 from Vera and from the app. I can also listen to the text I wrote in the say field when I enter the veraip/say.45.mp3 but there is nothing that come out of the speaker....

I don't know what to do next...

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:29 am »
@Cor,
There's nothing obvious that comes to mind, but the first thing I'd do is to simplify the setup since you have a number of moving parts.

The Combo modem/wifi/switch from your ISP is the first component I'd eliminate from the mix, followed shortly by the removal of the ZB.  Since the ISP setup/provided the modem device, we likely don't have enough information on how they've configured it internally.

The changes listed below are for testing/isolation.  Once it's been isolated to the specific component causing issues, then it would be built up again to get around those issues.

So my first step would be to cable both Vera3 and the Sonos ZB to different ports on the Cisco SE 2800.  This way they'll talk to each other without going through layers of switch gear (esp inside the modem). 

Vera3 should be connected, via it's WAN port, directly to the Cisco unit.  None of the Vera3 switch ports ("1-4") should be connected to anything.  The Sonos ZB should similarly be connected to the Cisco SE 2800.

Devices should be power-cycled after you change the wiring "just in case" someone's doing something odd.

If that doesn't work, then we need to eliminate the Sonos ZB from the equation.  In this setup, you'd directly cable the Sonos Play 3 to the Cisco SE 2800 (leaving the Vera3 on one of the other SE 2800 ports)

If it still doesn't work, then I don't have any extra clues to try out... since we'd have narrowed down to the most basic [wired] connections.  Hopefully it won't come to that ;)

Background questions...
In a normal setup the "ZB" will bridge Network packets, "destined" for a Sonos Play unit, over a proprietary Sonos Wireless network.  You can directly cable the Play3 with Ethernet to avoid this config, and things will work just the same (Sonos units have a Ethernet and the proprietary Wireless network built in)

The "Say.nn.mp3" file is produced by the Sonos Plugin.  It makes a URL call, over your Internet connection, to a Google TTS Service that takes our text parameter, and converts it to an Audio file.  The Plugin "saves" this file on Vera, in a location that's accessible via a URL, and then we tell the Sonos unit to "play" that URL.  This all [usually] happens very quickly.

Offline Cor

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 12:08:37 pm »
Very frustrating,

I connected just now the Play 3 with a network cable to the switch,I also took the vera3 from it's normal position and connected it with a (ready made LAN cable) to this switch.

In short , modem , vera3 and play3 were now all connected to the switch (with cable).

I first tested if I could activate a radiostation via the vera3 interface, this worked.
Than I typed something in the "say"column , again this failed. The sonos interface on my computer shows where the station is displayed "say.68.mp3", and a second later  "cannot play say.68.mp3 , station not found".
At last I tried to play the http://10.0.0.90/Say.68.mp3 on a webbrowser,it works on my computer.

What else can I try?:-(

I apprecirate your help, and also the background info :-)

*edit* I just installed my new play5 , exactly the same issue :-S
can I have done something wrong installing the files from the zip-file? any possibility to check this?

Cor
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:20:55 pm by Cor »

Offline peterluc8080

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:16:31 am »
@ Cor

I'm in the same boat as you. The exact same problem as you. I even went to Best Buy and buy 3 different modem, same problem. I download and save the Say.xx.mp3 file on my NAS on my network and I was able to play the file on the Sonos Play 3 by creating a new radio station in the sonos controller and set the radio url correctly. But if I change the url to the veraip/Say.xx.mp3, it doesn't work...

On the dlink model, the sonos controller was telling me that the access wat refused insted of the usual station not founded. This new error make me believe that the error is the access to the file in vera by the sonos unit. How can we solve that?

(I'm french in Montr?al, Canada. I try my best to write in English so everyone can understand. Sorry if my english isn't too great.)

Peter