We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Can't associate dimmer with Leviton VRF01-1LZ Fan Control  (Read 3752 times)

Offline gcristof

• Sr. Newbie
Can't associate dimmer with Leviton VRF01-1LZ Fan Control
« on: January 05, 2013, 02:11:51 pm »
I just installed a Leviton VRF01-1LZ Fan Control. I added it to the network and can control the fan successfully from the switch and Vera/UI5. I'd like to associate a dimmer with the VRF01-1LZ so that a lamp turns on/off with the fan switch.

I've previously done this successfully using Intermatic CA600 switches, by editing Device Options for the switch and adding Group 1 and setting it to the ID of the dimmer module. However when I try this with the Leviton it doesn't work. Searched around a lot but can't seem to find out how to do this.. anyone?

Thanks -Gary.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: Can't associate dimmer with Leviton VRF01-1LZ Fan Control
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:40:04 pm »
Many vendors provide grouping associations between devices ... they usually only work reliably (or even at all) when all of the participating devices are from the same vendor family of products.

Offline gcristof

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:45:34 pm »
Really?  ???  then I guess I don't understand the point of being able to mix n match different zwave devices.. It's pretty limited if they can't even perform a common function as sending another device/ID on the network an on/off command?

I guess I'll have to try using a scene instead.  That hasn't worked out well for me in the past due to the trigger delays.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:43:22 pm »
ZWave Controller to ZWave device is pretty robust. That's why Vera is a success.

Not all ZWave devices report status back to a ZWave controller .... then the controller has to poll.
I only use ZWave devices that are bi-direction to improve my Home Automation experience.

Battery operated devices are often sleeping when you want to get their status. So the only info that is really useful is the info they send just before they goto sleep ... that's usually their primary function status.
Secondary information such as battery status can be delayed by long periods until a successful poll is achieved.

Device to device ... that's very ad-hock ... manufactures only test with their own products.

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:22:05 am »
Leviton devices don't support devices<->device associations like that.
You can do Leviton device<->controller associations.

The best you can get (without additional hardware) would be Vera scenes that are triggered by the VRF01 turning on and off, which in turn turns the light on and off.

I tried to do something similar before and learned the hard way!
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=9647.0
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline gcristof

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:26 pm »
The best you can get (without additional hardware) would be Vera scenes that are triggered by the VRF01 turning on and off, which in turn turns the light on and off.
By "additional hardware", are you referring to the Leviton Programmer you mentioned in your other thread?
I did get it to work with Vera scenes.. there's about a 2 second delay.  :-\

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:10:57 pm »
By "additional hardware", are you referring to the Leviton Programmer you mentioned in your other thread?
I did get it to work with Vera scenes.. there's about a 2 second delay.  :-\
No, the "additional hardware" I was thinking of would be an in-wall Leviton controller.  Something like the VRCS1/VRCS2*/VRCS4/VRCZ4.  You could use that controller since it can talk directly to the VRF01 and the other switch...is that switch a CA600 still? (if it is a CA600, you might need the VRCPG to program it, but I don't think so...if all Leviton, Vera can program scenes directly). 

*I have never used a VRCS2, and I think it only comes with local switches included.

Offline gcristof

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:05 pm »
...is that switch a CA600 still? (if it is a CA600, you might need the VRCPG to program it, but I don't think so...if all Leviton, Vera can program scenes directly). 
No, in this particular room I have the VRF01-1LZ Fan Control in the wall, and an Intermatic plug-in dimmer for the lamps. No wall switch for the lamps (outlets are not wired to any switch), and there is only a single gang box in the wall for the fan.

No, the "additional hardware" I was thinking of would be an in-wall Leviton controller.  Something like the VRCS1/VRCS2*/VRCS4/VRCZ4.  *I have never used a VRCS2, and I think it only comes with local switches included.
Hmm, I hadn't considered any of those controllers because I was thinking I needed the VRF01-1LZ to control the fan. It seems the VRCS2 is on/off only without dim/bright though.  Perhaps I could have used one with local control of the fan (on/off only without dimming, and control fan speed by yanking the fan chain only).  Then setup button #2 to control my dimmer plugin. Can VRCS2 be used for local control of a fan since it is on/off only, or is that still a no-no with these types of switches?

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 06:24:48 pm »
You can use a VRCS2 with a fan, since it is on/off (you cannot use a regular (VRS06, etc) dimmer with a fan..that won't work).

I was originally referring to *adding* the VRCS1/VRCS2/VRCS4/VRCZ4 in addition to the VRF01 and plug-in dimmer, that way you retain "real" control of the fan (speed settings instead of just on/off).

Offline gcristof

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:01:31 am »
yes, I guess using a VRCS2 wouldn't buy me much.. although I'd get the "instant" response I'm looking for, I'd lose the ability to control the fan speed and I wouldn't even be gaining the ability to dim the dimmer module. I guess I'll just keep it the way I have it for now since it's working "ok", and if I ever replace the single for a double-gang box, I can revisit this again.  Thanks PurdueGuy!