We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Guide for setting up a Siri Proxy server to control Vera  (Read 40297 times)

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: Guide for setting up a Siri Proxy server to control Vera
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2013, 03:41:54 pm »

Is there a way, for someone that cannot write ruby code, can create the scripts or code necessary to get this to work? I see some of your examples and I could just use what you have but if I want to customize I do not know how to modify the code.

Is there a  place that some one can put together a list if codes for tasks such as turn on tv, turn on lights, thermo etc?

Then for users like me they can add the lines to the .rb file as needed (I am assuming it is as easy as if then statements or simple code strings that have no dependencies on other commands).

Any help would be appreciated.
That is what someone else is doing here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=16081.0

Offline Bboy486

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2013, 03:58:56 pm »
Yes, it is.

Offline Bboy486

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2013, 04:07:09 pm »
Yes, it is.

Can you simplify the difference. I am reading it and trying to grasp the pros and cons

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2013, 04:28:41 pm »

Yes, it is.

Can you simplify the difference. I am reading it and trying to grasp the pros and cons
Basically, if you read the opening post, it is designed to automate the device identification and only limited changes required by you. He states he is still developing additional functionality to included other device types but it will be more generic.

This is flexible and user configurable with you maintaining the inputs...

Leave your sd card as is and buy a new one to test the one if desired.

I do not use either.  I have set this up and done it for numerous devices and device types but my wife stated it was quicker for here to use Homewave.

Offline Bboy486

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2013, 06:31:04 pm »
Are the input the device names? So i would be editing the script by renaming device#1 to Loft Thermostat for example?

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2013, 07:01:15 pm »

Are the input the device names? So i would be editing the script by renaming device#1 to Loft Thermostat for example?
I would not know and I would recommended asking questions about that on that thread as not to high jack this thread.

Offline Bboy486

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2013, 07:12:59 pm »
Thanks i did and am awaiting an answer

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2013, 03:08:17 pm »
It's difficult to know which approach is best when it comes to th marriage of Vera & Siri Proxy, especially as there are a few ideas/scripting approaches knocking around on this forum now...

So, as I sadly could not get passed that damn  'no Implict conversion if nil into string" error. I'm going to try one kr the other routes and maybe collectively we can all endorse/support one way (or two) to help any newbies trying to find the best way.

While this particular thread was orignally focused mainly on getting Siri-Proxy up and running  the way it's gone the focus quickly moved on to how it should be configured/scripted/run, @MDoc's way, evolved  into @wseverino's way etc... (Intermixed with my failed attempts to jump on board  ;))

The holy grail i think for us all now is to find the best possible (dynamic, yet customisable) way for Vera to interact with Siri-Proxy..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:16:36 pm by parkerc »