We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI5 and HTML5? For some reason UI just feels outdated  (Read 12127 times)

Offline TheSaint

• I am me, and me is I!
UI5 and HTML5? For some reason UI just feels outdated
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:40 am »
Hey,

So what does UI5 rely on "backside"? What is it built off of? Maybe the next UI should be built to support html5? It just doesn't feel fluid enough. Its the small little things that tell me it might be built on-top of something considered a little outdated like the fact that it isn't scroll-friendly (can't scroll via mouse).

I don't know why but looking at the UI, it also makes me feel like the boxes (devices) should be draggable (for personal organization of order, rooms and the like). Kind of like the "tiles" on a Windows Phone (and I think iPhone just to add another visual example).

It should also be more camera friendly, allowing you to do more such as attach images to emails, txt msgs, ftp...whatever suits everyone's "fancy".

I have only had the veralite for a month now and already love it. It just feels like it could support so much more for the idea of what it represents. :)
This is my signature :)

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: UI5 and HTML5? For some reason UI just feels outdated
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:42:20 am »
I think of the UI5 as just a Setup or Test panel.

There are lots of nice mobile apps that make interacting with Vera pleasant.

Offline TheSaint

• I am me, and me is I!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 07:04:01 pm »

I wish there was better support or interest in regards to Windows Phone. Using "Grasshopper" now but it feels limited and doesn't always work well. Still, you are using UI5 a lot in order to set everything up and still requires more features. I really need to be able to get images sent from the cameras when I get notices from the motion detectors/cameras though. It warns me someone is at my front door...but then I have to open the app and find the camera and click on it...or access cp.mios.com or whatever and get to the archive. By the time you've done that they are either not in front of the camera for the live shot or no longer at the front door by the time you find it in the archive anyways. It would be nice to get an instant txt notification with the image of the person right then and there so *bam*...you know immediately that someone is right there in front of your door and you're immediately looking right at them.

It is just too much work to be able to figure out WHAT tripped your camera and that "too much" ALWAYS results in your not being able to act quickly enough or even figure anything out....outside that "something"....tripped a sensor.

Offline bbosch

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:31:41 am »

Please share some examples

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:46:39 am »

Please share some examples

Have a look on the forum in the "Remote Control" sub-forum. There is a lot of information on the various 3rd party apps in that section.

As Richard has stated, I hardly ever use the web interface and rely on the mobile apps (mainly mine).

- Garrett

Offline TheSaint

• I am me, and me is I!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 02:49:06 am »
Sadly I have all Windows Phones and there are limited options for Windows Phone OS at the moment.

Offline Da_JoJo

• If something aint work, we can allways try n make
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:39:29 am »
it would be cool to have the separate devices and scenes as metro-tiles on a windows phone /win 8 pc :)
Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline robzr

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »
If I were Mi Casa Verde, I'd be embarrassed to ship UI5.  It's horrible, it looks like a kid designed it.  Clearly they spent some money on their website, why not hire the same designers to get UI5 looking newer than 1996.  Here's some of my favorite visual elements from UI5:

- Each second, the clock in the upper right hand corner blinks the : between the minutes and seconds.  Because of the formatting, the hour also shifts left or right.  So it's non stop wobbling left and right.  Pretty slick!
- The bright red save button is a bit too large and not lined up with anything.  It just kind of floats in the upper right corner - but it's clearly shaped like a folder label, the top was clearly intended to line up with something.  Who knows what, it doesn't really look like it fits anywhere.
- The color scheme is gorgeous.  Blue, Green and bright red when the Save Button appears - because anyone who designs UIs knows, when you want something to be seen, the best way to do it is by making it BIG and RED.  Nothing says fourth grade design like the primary color scheme of the UI. 
- The grass 'n sky theme is real classy, makes me feel like the $300 I spent on this piece of junk was really just pissed away.  The only thing it's missing is the sun - why not overlay the mi casa verde logo over the sun?  That'd look fantastic.

Look, I'm a Linux guy myself, so I know us techy UNIX types aren't the best with graphic design.  But they realized this when it came to their website.  You know, the one people go to before the buy the Vera.   So they spent some money and it's a decent looking website. 

The Vera isn't cheap.  Why does it look and act so damn cheap?  I'm embarrassed to use it, how can you guys seriously ship this?

Rob

Offline Pashak

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:03:29 am »
Robzr,

I dont see these UI issues your seeing. The clock wobbling, the save button misaligned.

Its fine in chrome, and IE10. both on win8.

What browser u using?

Offline Mynameisjim

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:09 am »
I see the issues in Chrome Version 25 running on OSX 10.8.2

Offline s4nup

• Sr. Newbie
UI5 and HTML5? For some reason UI just feels outdated
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 04:18:49 pm »
No issues as above in Firefox on OS X 10.8

Agree the design does need to be a bit more modern.

Offline MiPolloMole

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 09:01:43 pm »
I see the clock wobble on Firefox 15.0.1 on Win8.

The date and reload tab seem misaligned in FF, IE, and Chrome. The screenshot I've (hopefully) attached is from FF, but the others looks similar.

Offline robzr

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 12:40:50 pm »
I use Mac OS X; I've tried it with Safari and Firefox, latest versions of everything.  The clock wobble was just one example of my more general impression of the interface.  I would expect that while designing and working with your product, it would be QA'd on a variety of platforms and browsers, as that is pretty standard practice?

I apologize if my original post was a bit harsh, it was moreso than necessary.  That said, I'm frustrated that I spent $300 on this device, and the web interface is terrible.  The aesthetics are poor, but at least as importantly, it's cluttered, it's not very intuitive or functional.  I really expected better.  I don't understand why there is such a dramatic disconnect between the quality of your pre-sales website (micasaverde.com - which is a nice looking, simple, sleek website) and the web interface of the product.

I'm a techie too (UNIX Admin and programmer), and trust me I understand that sometimes the people on the more tech/programming side of things often are not skilled at graphics and UI layout.  So we hire someone who is good at that, and work with them.

It seems inconsistent, and frustrating, that Mi Casa Verde understood this when designing the website people see before buying the product, but then chose not to apply the same level of quality to the actual product.

Rob

Offline dferrey

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 01:09:47 pm »
I'm new to Vera and just installed my Vera Lite over the weekend. I use Chrome and see no issues with the UI.

I do, however, wish I wouldn't have to enter 3 forms of verification including having to reload the captcha like images a dozens times until I can read them to just post on this forum.

Offline TheSaint

• I am me, and me is I!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 02:37:18 pm »
I'm new to Vera and just installed my Vera Lite over the weekend. I use Chrome and see no issues with the UI.

I do, however, wish I wouldn't have to enter 3 forms of verification including having to reload the captcha like images a dozens times until I can read them to just post on this forum.

I shared the same concern when I first started in the forums. THANKFULLY!, they do go away after you have made a number of posts (may also be related to the age of your account, idk).