Author Topic: Severe Weather Alert Status  (Read 2336 times)

Offline rearden

• Sr. Newbie
Severe Weather Alert Status
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:46:08 am »
Thanks for the plugin!  I use it often.

Is it possible to have the wunderground plugin create a sensor which will expose the current local severe weather alert state?  It would be nice to be able to trigger a scene when a tornado warning is issued, for example.

rearden

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Severe Weather Alert Status
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:26 am »
Guessed stated in the main plugin thread that new features will not be added until he feels that the new plugin is stable and also of course when he gets the extra time.

- Garrett

Offline zaxv14

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 10:41:59 pm »
I know this is a super old thread, but did this ability ever come to be?  Would be great to set off a scene from a severe weather alert!

Offline racarter

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 03:26:19 am »
You could do this with PLEG.
Indigo, Vera Edge (for Datamine only), Everspring and TKBHOME socket switches, SM103 door detectors, Homepro ZRP210 appliance modules, Fibaro relay switches, EZMotion, Heatmiser thermostats, Netatmo Weather, Camera and Healthy Home, Hikvision DVR/CCTV, Sonos, Texecom, Diax motorised deadlock.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 01:15:56 am »
Has anyone actually done this? I set up PLEG using alert.the as the device property however until there is a severe weather condition, I can't test it. I'd like to know if I went down the right path. I am using an Aeon doorbell as an announcer.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 08:25:14 am »
Change your location to a place that is likely to have bad weather today ...
Weather Underground has maps of severe weather and severe weather watches.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 01:01:01 am »
Looks like I got it right. Before I could play with it, it gave the severe storm warning on its own.

New question: does anyone know fastest polling rate that won't run afoul of the API? My previous usage was as a backup to the temp sensor on my porch to trigger my pipe heaters. 15-20 minutes there doesn't make a big difference. Tornados, well, 15 minutes is a big deal.  I have weather radios but blinking exterior lights are good when I am outside the house.