Author Topic: Differences between vera lite and Vera 3?  (Read 1675 times)

ubun2Junky

• Sr. Newbie
Differences between vera lite and Vera 3?
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:41:30 pm »
I'm new to the forum and have been really impressed with the micasaverde community and the amount of activity I see here.  I'm considering purchasing a vera product, but as I've been doing some reading, I'd  like to get some expert feedback on the differences between vera lite and vera 3.  I have an Apple time capsule that I use as my main wifi device in my home and I'm very happy with it since it also backs up my wife's data from her laptop.  I've been considering the vera lite for this reason, but what other features would I be giving up should I go with the vera lite and not the vera 3?

I'm looking at using the vera lite to control my z-wave devices and hopefully future security system.  I'd also like to control some of my home theatre devices like my denon avr1913 receiver.  Thx!

garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Differences between vera lite and Vera 3?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:06:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Please do a search as this topic has been brought up many times. There are several threads that discuss the differences between the two units.

- Garrett

futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:23:35 am »
Don't forget that you can always search the forum from Google. It often gives you better results than the forum's own search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22vera+3%22+%22vera+lite%22+site%3Aforum.micasaverde.com&oq=%22vera+3%22+%22vera+lite%22+site%3Aforum.micasaverde.com

That gives me a number of topics that should answer the original poster's questions.

akbooer

• "Less is more"
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:19:17 am »
If you're happy with a wired connection to your Time Capsule to provide your Internet connection, then I can't see why you'd really want anything but VeraLite.  I use both together. Another plus is that it's a bit lower on power usage (only about 3 Watts). 

If you look at my device list below, you'll seen that I also use it to control a Denon AVR.  So all this works OK.
3x VeraLite, 18x Fibaro FGD211/FGS211/FGS221, 23x TKB TZ68, 6x Everspring ST814, 9x MiniMote controllers, 7x Fibaro FGK101, 3x Aeotec 4-in-1, 2x Netatmo, 2x NorthQ Power meter.  Essential apps: HomeWave, Netatmo, EventWatcher, DataYours.

RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:26:36 am »
Ignoring the Wifi on Vera 3 (And lots of folks turns it off because of various problems) the main difference is memory ... 128M for Vera and 64M for VeraLite.

So How many devices and virtual devices you have or plan for will dictate which is best.

ubun2Junky

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:00:09 am »
Thank you for all the great replies.  It certainly helps to get a second opinion.  I think the vera lite is the way to go.  I have an enclosed panel in my basement where I have my modem, firewall and switch.  I'm planning on fitting the vera lite in this same case, so it's out of sight.  I think it's small enough that I should not have any issues making it fit.  Looking forward to automating my home...  lot of ideas I'm excited to get started.  Thx again!

akbooer

• "Less is more"
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:07:06 am »
Just make sure it's not a metal case that you're putting it in... the Z-Wave signal needs to get in and out!  Do let us know how you get on.
3x VeraLite, 18x Fibaro FGD211/FGS211/FGS221, 23x TKB TZ68, 6x Everspring ST814, 9x MiniMote controllers, 7x Fibaro FGK101, 3x Aeotec 4-in-1, 2x Netatmo, 2x NorthQ Power meter.  Essential apps: HomeWave, Netatmo, EventWatcher, DataYours.

RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:15:31 pm »
I hope your basement is COLD or that you have ventilated the cabinet. You put a number of 4-5 watt devices in a closed container ... and it can get hot!