We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Upgrade from UI4 to UI5 at vera2 unit - now feasonable?  (Read 5510 times)

Offline weissertigerxl

Upgrade from UI4 to UI5 at vera2 unit - now feasonable?
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:54:35 am »
Hello all,

I wonder if a upgrade is now stable (all functional) and what I need to take into account not to loose all my configuration.

Thanks for help!

Offline Frasier

Re: Upgrade from UI4 to UI5 at vera2 unit - now feasonable?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:00:03 pm »
I migrated from UI4 to UI5 at the start of Januaryand it went sooothly for me. UI5 does have some nice features although scene creation, particularly with time delays is not as intuititive as UI4. But newer devices (e.g. Fibaro universal input sensor) only works on UI5 although I recall someone mentioning that some wall controllers did not work so well with 1.5.408 compared with earlier UI5 releases???

Unfortunately not everyone appears to have a good experience so make sure to do a full backup first.

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:01:59 pm »
Did it before Christmas and it was mostly trouble free

My danfoss valves died, I had to exclude and include them and 1 scene failed, easily sorted.

The bonus is that datamine works very well under Ui5, very useful as Vera controls my heating

I have no regrets on updating

Nick

Offline dweeks

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:08:32 pm »
Hello all,

I wonder if a upgrade is now stable (all functional) and what I need to take into account not to loose all my configuration.

Thanks for help!

I just upgraded my Vera2 from UI4 to UI5. Two firmware upgrades in a row.

No problems.

I was a bit confused that I had to reset all my pinned devices, and also delete and reinstall all my plugins.

Other than that, all my devices, including Foscams and Kwikset locks, and scenes and  schedules, came over with no trouble.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »
Hello all,

Thanks for help!
I really like many of the features of UI5 (once I got used to it) but your experience upgrading may be dependent on exactly what your devices and use are. I think "all functional" may be too strong a statement <smile>
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline ballroller

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:27:06 pm »
I know I'm dredging up a bit of an older thread, but I need an opinion. I am on Vera2 UI4. Everything is working well for me. Is there a reason to upgrade to either UI5 or Vera3 (or both)? Just an FYI- I am using a USB stick plugged into the back of my Vera2. After I did this, things seemed to run much smoother.

Thanks.

Offline Throttleman

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:27:20 am »
I know I'm dredging up a bit of an older thread, but I need an opinion. I am on Vera2 UI4. Everything is working well for me. Is there a reason to upgrade to either UI5 or Vera3 (or both)? Just an FYI- I am using a USB stick plugged into the back of my Vera2. After I did this, things seemed to run much smoother.

Thanks.

I was thinking like you and I end up doing the move (Vera 2 from UI4 to UI5) just to have chance to use many more plugins.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 08:55:34 am »
If you are happy on UI4 ... I would stay there.
If you need support for devices or plugins that are not supported on UI4 than you will want to move up to UI5.

I actually moved from a UI4 Vera2 to a UI5 Vera5 ... because my UI4 became less stable as I added more devices. And I had already added the memory stick to UI4 to free up some memory for automation.

UI5 is stable now (compared to a year ago).

A Vera 2 does have less memory than a Vera 3. I am not sure if UI5 on a Vera2 has the same memory foot print as UI4.

Offline ballroller

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 09:54:36 am »
I'm pretty happy with the plugins that I am using with UI4, so I think I'll stay where I am for now. What I'm hearing is that the only reason to upgrade is for plugins and any operational issues. I'm not having a problem with either.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:48:23 am »
I'm pleased I found this thread, because I was about to post my own.

When UI5 was released, I had nothing but problems with trying to upgrade my Vera 2.  I'm starting from scratch in a new home now, and hearing that UI5 is stable & people are running it on their 2's is good to know.  I'm mainly interested in getting DM to work, because I couldn't get it going on UI4.

EDIT: I just upgraded remotely.  Admittedly, I removed most of the devices & scenes from it while I'm in an apartment, but the upgrade seems to have worked well!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:17:34 am by DeltaNu1142 »
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline conchordian

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 12:43:13 am »
I upgraded my Vera 2 to use plugins that were unavailable on U14, ages ago, and its worked well.

Offline holger_40

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:42:17 pm »
I tried updating my Vera2 from UI4 to UI5 (1.5.622).  The process started as usual, waited a couple of hours, but my Vera is now bricked.  Only the power light will come on.  I'm open to suggestions.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 10:22:30 pm »
Leave it alone for today. It is more than likely that there are limited available to complete the update. It need time to do this without interruption. Otherwise raise the support ticket.

Offline holger_40

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 01:50:40 pm »
I was able to unbrick my Vera2 following these:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Firmware_Flash_Vera2

It threw me off at first since only my power light was coming on, and these instructions clearly state that the other lights (except zwave and Eth1) need to be on too.  But a couple rounds of unplugging/plugging in power while holding the service button eventually got it to a state with the lights on and I could then begin the firmware flash.  Also note that the instructions state the power light needs to be blinking after the first step, but you need to turn the unit sideways a bit to even see that the orange'ish led is blinking because you can't see it looking straight on.

I also upgraded to UI5.  It needs to do an interim upgrade from 1.1.1245 first, but then you can step to UI5.  Follow these:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,23321.msg158451.html#msg158451
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:53:58 pm by holger_40 »