We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Cooper Aspire RF Master/Accessory Association  (Read 15333 times)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Cooper Aspire RF Master/Accessory Association
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 11:52:13 am »
I have decided to swap out the scene controllers with Leviton ones instead.  Hopefully that addresses those particular issues (Turning on the scene light when executed from a different controller or phone.  And being able to run code during scene deactivation.).
I'd recommend the 4-button zone controller (but 4-button and 2-button scene controller will work too; not the 1-button flavors); make sure it's not the old -1LX version on the 4-button ones.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:44:39 pm by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Lucky7

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 06:22:14 pm »
When you say "scene controller" are you talking about the 5 button units that got in an electrical box, or Cooper's stand alone units that looks like remotes with LCD screens?

Hi Katmai - I'm referring to the 5 button unit that installs in the wall (RFWC5):
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices/products/lighting_controls/aspire_rf_wireless/aspire_rf_5_button_scene_control_keypad_rfwdc_rfwc5.solutions.wiringdevices!whole_home_solutions!aspire_rf_wireless.html

Do you have thoughts on what could be tried?

I'd recommend the 4-button zone controller (but 4-button and 2-button scene controller will work too; not the 1-button flavors); make sure it's not old the -1LX version on the 4-button ones.

oTi - Thanks, yes, that's exactly what I purchased, the 4 button zone controller - VRCZ4-M0Z.  I have them in hand, but haven't gotten a chance to get them installed yet.  I'm hopeful they will meet my needs.

Offline Katmai

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 02:33:39 am »
When you say "scene controller" are you talking about the 5 button units that got in an electrical box, or Cooper's stand alone units that looks like remotes with LCD screens?

Hi Katmai - I'm referring to the 5 button unit that installs in the wall (RFWC5):
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices/products/lighting_controls/aspire_rf_wireless/aspire_rf_5_button_scene_control_keypad_rfwdc_rfwc5.solutions.wiringdevices!whole_home_solutions!aspire_rf_wireless.html

Do you have thoughts on what could be tried?

I'd recommend the 4-button zone controller (but 4-button and 2-button scene controller will work too; not the 1-button flavors); make sure it's not old the -1LX version on the 4-button ones.

oTi - Thanks, yes, that's exactly what I purchased, the 4 button zone controller - VRCZ4-M0Z.  I have them in hand, but haven't gotten a chance to get them installed yet.  I'm hopeful they will meet my needs.

No ideas. I think the Vera just doesn't pass that info on to the switch, or the switch can't see it. A lot of these devices seem to be originally designed to stay within their ecosystem.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 07:11:28 am »
Nice! I'm hopeful as well. @Katmai responded to your Cooper scene controller question. I don't have the scene controller, but do have the remote. In that light, @Katmai's response is what I suspected. The Leviton's use proprietary commands for both the scene/button communication to Vera (so you can trigger on 'deactivate'), as well as for external LED control (so Vera can tell the controller a scene is active). It appears this is exactly what is missing from the Coopers.

Your VRCZ4 should stay in sync. For example, we have some at various entry doors; the bottom button controls Home/Away state for Vera. Turn it on/off on one controller, and the other controllers' LEDs follow.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Auggie

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 08:57:59 pm »
A little late to this party, but I finally got a Vera and am now trying to "associate" 2 remotes to a master but confused on exactly what the procedures are, especially since there are several different ways that have been successful for different users.

Some have mentioned deleting all text in the "AssociationGet" field on the Advanced screen for all switches: what about the "AssociationSet" field (it appears to have the same text as AssociationGet)?

What is the exact steps to properly setting a Group ID?  On the Device Settings screen, my master switch has the default settings of:

Group ID: 255 [Del]
Set to: 1 [Set]
Currently: <blank> [View]
Group ID: <blank> [Add group]

I followed the Quick Setup instructions that said to visit's Verde's website to download the "Complete Owner's Manual online" but the only "downloadable" content is the same Quick Setup sheet that came bundled with my Vera3 (there are online "articles" but I couldn't ascertain any topic to school me on the Advanced and Device Settings screens.

By the way, when I added my remote switches, Vera designates them as "Scene Controllers:" is this correct?

Offline jquincy

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 01:07:45 pm »
I have also had some problems keeping one master and 3 Auxiliary switches synced together. When you initially include the master switch and go to the Device Options Tab it is set to Group 255. I have changed that to Group 1. If I look at the View it shows Zwave checked. Should that box stayed checked for the Master switch?

Also :
"Associations You must leave automatically configure on before this works learn more"
 Under the Settings Tab do you use "Use Default Behavior" or do you change it to yes ?

Offline feinstaj

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 03:21:54 am »
Question- is it possible to wire the RF9540 and the RF9542 in a three way configuration with travelers like in the diagram and have them work without being associated in the system?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 08:14:27 am »
Question- is it possible to wire the RF9540 and the RF9542 in a three way configuration with travelers like in the diagram and have them work without being associated in the system?
No, the RF9542 communicates with the master switch(RF9540) wirelessly via Z-Wave. It must therefore be programmed to know which master switch to communicate with. The only way to accomplish this programming is to associate the two switches with a Z-Wave controller such as a Vera or an Aeon Minimote.

After the switches have been included into a Z-Wave network and have been associated, the controller is no longer required. Associated switches will continue to function without a Z-Wave controller.

Edit: Cooper's wiring diagrams are rather odd in that they show a line and traveler wire nutted together and being used in parallel. This is pointless. The red traveler in the diagrams could just as easily be capped off and not used.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:17:46 am by Z-Waver »

Offline kegr

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 02:20:25 am »
When you initially include the master switch and go to the Device Options Tab it is set to Group 255. I have changed that to Group 1.
Cooper only supports one association in Group 255, so changing it to 1 is the right move.

I've been wrestling with this and the Vera associations page is terrible -- it usually takes me 2-3 tries before the correct devices (the ones checked) show up in the "Set" list. (One of the ones it incorrectly added was the load-monitoring outlet used to make sure the fridge door wasn't left open. That wasn't pleasant).

Offline rgerrans

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 10:42:04 am »
How I got around the accessory switch not showing the correct load issue, is using the Advanced Editor in the scene to set the light level of the aux remote

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 03:00:32 am »
Folks here is as full as a solution as I could get to keep you Cooper master and aux switches and dimmers in sync.  Hope it helps! http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=31000.msg222690#msg222690