We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Controller(?) Response Time Delay  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Controller(?) Response Time Delay
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:13:39 pm »
Using a Vera Lite, a Leviton VRCS2-MRZ scene controller switch, and an Intermatic outlet with a lamp plugged in.

I have these setup as a scene where pressing the switch activates the scene, turning on the outlet/lamp and Vera Lite controls the LED on the switch. The Z-Wave devices have to route through one intermediate node, another outlet, in order to get to Vera.

This mostly works well, although once the switch is pressed it is no longer functional until Vera sees the press and toggles the LED. Pressing the switch, the whole on and off process takes 0.5 to 1 second to turn on the outlet/lamp and set the LED on the switch, which is acceptable for my application.

My problem arises when things have been quiet for several minutes or hours. At this point it seems like something(Vera) is "asleep" because pressing the scene controller switch can take 30 seconds or more before the outlet/lamp turns on and the LED is set accordingly. Once everything has "woken up" my 0.5 second response time returns and I can switch the light on and off repeatedly with only the short delay between cycles.

My question is: what is causing the long delay? Is something going to sleep? Which device? Can I keep it awake?

I have tried taking Vera out of the equation by setting an association between the switch and the outlet. Conceptually, I would prefer to be able to activate the outlet without Vera and I expected a faster response, without even the 0.5 to 1 second delay. However, this configuration either would not work at all or was very unreliable, so my best results have been with Vera in the configuration. As I said there is a 0.5 to 1 second delay that I can live with. But, I can't tolerate a 30 second delay between when I hit the switch and when the light comes on.

Offline Timon

Re: Controller(?) Response Time Delay
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:16 pm »
I see the same thing. It seems like the system goes into sleep mode and only check for something to do every few seconds. Most of my devices are Evolve.

Anyone else have this issue or knows anything about it?

Offline Da_JoJo

• If something aint work, we can allways try n make
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:46 pm »
yes i was experiencing the same thing when i was fiddling with a scene with only Luup in it. first time run it took 30 secs and after this it executes immediatly 100ms delay. the z-wave itself has 200ms delay in normal use and when active 100ms i believe.
Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:30 am »
@Da_JoJo - Were you able to resolve the issue? You said that your case had LUP code in the scene. Was this the cause?

My scene has no LUP code. It is a simple scene that turns on the outlet/lamp and includes a trigger to turn on the LED on the scene controller.

Offline Da_JoJo

• If something aint work, we can allways try n make
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:56:43 pm »
@Da_JoJo - Were you able to resolve the issue? You said that your case had LUP code in the scene. Was this the cause?

My scene has no LUP code. It is a simple scene that turns on the outlet/lamp and includes a trigger to turn on the LED on the scene controller.
no i havent been able to resolve it. i also had to remove the scene with luup code cause it made lua engine go wild. i think its cause i used parameter delay but not sure. cant find info on it. but after i removed it and vera worked well , it does same behaviour.. first time 30 secs or so.. next 100-200ms .. keeps on 100ms..
Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline Timon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:58:20 pm »
This is still a major issue. I can't understand why there is such a large delay when the system has been inactive. I'm going to call Evolve to see if there is anything in there switches that could cause this.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 02:12:11 pm »
@Timon - This thread is about Leviton scene controller/switches. There was no mention of Evolve, prior to your post.

Offline Timon

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 01:58:33 am »
That may be however the issue is still the same. If both the Leviton and Evlove have the same  issue then either they both have the same bug or issue or there is something in Vera that is the problem.

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 06:20:21 am »
I have noticed delays between a button press and response from Z-wave devices, if Vera handles the action with a scene.  I'm still trying to pin this down, but I did find out a few things.  You might want to try the following:
- Is the delay present only when you start the scene using the scene controller, or also if you start it from the Vera UI or your mobile phone?  (In my case, it was both)
- Is the delay in starting up the scene, or does the scene actually start right away?  In my case, stuff controlled via a plugin (like Hue lights) reacts instantly, while the Z-wave controlled lights usually take a few seconds to responds and in some cases they take over half a minute.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.