Author Topic: Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development  (Read 155756 times)

Offline LibraSun

Re: Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development
« Reply #690 on: March 05, 2018, 09:43:57 am »
I know (both from this thread and from @watou's docs at http://watou.github.io/vera-ecobee/#SendMessage) that the ecobee plug-in was originally intended to allow users to send a text message (up to 500 characters) to the thermostat.

While I'm seeing that "SendMessage" action in the Scene > Advanced Editor > Device > Actions drop-down list, choosing it does not offer an input field for entering the text of the intended message. Nor do I see any kind of "MessageText" variable under the Thermostat device > Advanced, either.

Is it expected that users should use Luup coding exclusively to send messages this way? (i.e. with MessageText declared explicitly within the parameters of a Luup action call to the urn:ecobee-com:serviceId:Ecobee1 service?) Or can casual users like me get away with doing SendMessage a simpler way?

Thanks! - Libra

UPDATE #1:

Back to answer this question, in part: Yes, using Luup is one good way to send a message to your ecobee thermostat.

SAMPLE CODE

local deviceUrn = "urn:ecobee-com:serviceId:Ecobee1"
local deviceId = 95
local message = "This is a test"
luup.call_action(deviceUrn, "SendMessage", {MessageText=message}, deviceId)

NOTE: Replace '95' with your actual Thermostat device ID, and the message= text with your desired message text.

RESULT

The specified text message will appear both on the ecobee thermostat's display as well as a pop-up ? attributed to 'utility' (I don't know if this pseudo-sender name can be altered) ? on the ecobee.com website (and presumably the mobile app, as well?) until dismissed. NOTE: Thereafter, no record is kept of the message for later review.

UPDATE #2:
Seems these messages ("Alerts" as ecobee calls them) get posted to your ecobee account/device with a timestamp that is offset X hours from your local time zone. In my case, living in Central (U.S.), I observed the Alerts were marked exactly 5 hours earlier relative to my actual clock time, suggesting "GMT-11" or "US/American Somoa".
It's not immediately clear whether this can be adjusted by the user, as I see no corresponding Variable or setting within the ecobee plug-in. Neither is this issue in any way a show stopper, just something to be aware of when using. ;-)

UPDATE #3:
When more than one Message is broadcast via the Luup code shown above, they appear on the ecobee Web UI, in the ecobee mobile app, and on the ecobee thermostat screen itself. However, the moment you "OK" (dismiss) any Message on one platform, it will promptly disappear from the others. So, if you wish other users to see the Alerts, be sure not to click "OK". NOTE: This scenario, although rare, would also mean leaving your thermostat screen obscured by the displayed Alert(s), a potential usability obstacle!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:14:26 pm by LibraSun »
Vera Model I running UI4 (Firmware 1.1.1338), died in 2015
Vera Plus running UI7 (Firmware 1.7.2935)

Offline fullmoonguru

« Reply #691 on: March 22, 2018, 02:33:37 pm »
I'm trying to create a scene that changes from Heat mode to Cool mode depending on the outdoor temp, but I can't change that setting as part of the scene. It works fine when I'm in devices and just click on it. Anybody know what's going on with this?

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #692 on: March 22, 2018, 08:34:12 pm »
I use PLEG to accomplish this.  Status report attached. I used to use a scene but it sometimes failed during a LUUP restart.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb

Offline charettepa

« Reply #693 on: March 25, 2018, 04:20:20 pm »
@watou

will you be adding support for the switch+
it would be great to be able to turn on/off and use the temp/occupancy sensor in vera

Offline watou

« Reply #694 on: March 26, 2018, 06:06:57 am »
will you be adding support for the switch+
it would be great to be able to turn on/off and use the temp/occupancy sensor in vera

I don't see any API update since June, 2017*, and the polling nature of the ecobee "cloud" API doesn't lend itself well to supporting the switch, but if API support for the switch fits sensibly in the plugin, it should definitely be added as switch devices.  I haven't used a Vera in a long time though, so any plugin updates should be tested well by others!

* https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/api/documentation/v1/change-log.shtml

Offline charettepa

« Reply #695 on: March 26, 2018, 01:00:19 pm »
they must have an unpublished change somewhere
as IFTTT and Alexa can both control my switch+

i would love to try and get these api changes to you
any idea who i would need to get a hold of to get the api changes?

Offline charettepa

« Reply #696 on: March 26, 2018, 01:04:25 pm »
-------------
unfortunately ifttt in vera only supports vera actions from external triggers and not the other way around
as i had considered adding a virtual switch and then making 2 scenes triggered by the switch to control an ifttt "do button"
for switch on and for switch off

apparently this can be achieved with ifttt maker triggering an external action on ifttt from a condition in vera
if anyone knows how please let me know

Offline watou

« Reply #697 on: March 26, 2018, 02:14:56 pm »
any idea who i would need to get a hold of to get the api changes?

Someone on their developer forum asked about it a week or two ago:

https://getsatisfaction.com/api/topics/ecobee-switch-api-plans

That seems like a good place to have asked about it, and I've followed the topic to see if/when it's answered.  I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't fit properly into the current v1 API, and might require a server push mechanism that is not currently published.  Just guessing though.

Offline charettepa

« Reply #698 on: March 26, 2018, 03:13:21 pm »
i have contacted ecobee support
RE: missing updated api changes that are not published but IFTTT and Amazon seem to have

they advised they will get back to me

i will forward anything i get from them

Offline Freddy99

« Reply #699 on: May 13, 2018, 06:21:07 pm »
I am having problems whereby my Ecobee thermostat temperatures are being displayed incorrectly on Vera. If the room temp is 15degrees Celsius, it is being displayed as 59degrees Celsius. I had this problem about a year ago, but fixed it by uninstalling my Nest app.
Now the problem is back and I cannot get rid of it. Is anybody else having this experience?

Offline rafale77

« Reply #700 on: May 13, 2018, 08:39:19 pm »
I am having problems whereby my Ecobee thermostat temperatures are being displayed incorrectly on Vera. If the room temp is 15degrees Celsius, it is being displayed as 59degrees Celsius. I had this problem about a year ago, but fixed it by uninstalling my Nest app.
Now the problem is back and I cannot get rid of it. Is anybody else having this experience?

This has been intermittent on the vera and has been completely eliminated when I moved the app to openLuup. From my reading of the app, it is not so much a problem with the app itself but with the vera luup reload timing not being consistent. I believe you will see it come and go each time you do a luup reload and you will see it get worse as your system gets larger. There is a function in the plugin to check your vera default temperature setting. If it runs too late in the process, it will default to F mode even though your display wlll be in celsius. The version I posted on AltAppStore defaults to C units if I remember correctly.
openLuup (96 devices, 122 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (133 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 200 devices, 34 scenes , 1 apps) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa

Offline Freddy99

« Reply #701 on: May 14, 2018, 05:35:36 am »
Thank you Rafale. I was not aware of theAltAppStore. I have just googled it and loaded the altappstore_install.lua. This shows as a device. How do I now get the Ecobee plugin to load from there?
Thanks again.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #702 on: May 14, 2018, 10:04:02 am »
The version on the alt app store requires you to create a dev account to get an API key. See the instructions I posted on Github: https://github.com/rafale77/vera-ecobee
openLuup (96 devices, 122 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (133 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 200 devices, 34 scenes , 1 apps) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa

Offline Freddy99

« Reply #703 on: May 15, 2018, 12:38:57 pm »
Thank you. I have had a look and it looks a bit complicated. I will have another look next week and see if I can do it. Thanks again