We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development  (Read 198469 times)

Offline denwood

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development
« Reply #855 on: January 25, 2019, 07:42:18 pm »
Thanks as always for your work here Rafael.  Should the app be updateable or does it need approval still?

What did you discover with respect to the API and retry errors over your week of testing?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:46:41 pm by denwood »

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #856 on: January 25, 2019, 08:00:15 pm »
I released my version of the app on the alt Appstore. Watou still owns the one on Mios and it is a slightly different flavor. I don't know whether he will implement my fix.
Mine was sourced from his and ported to openLuup and UI7, And subsequently improved. So far he has been pretty good at following up and updating his version with my changes in spite of not using the plugin anymore since it shares most of the same code.

What I found was that after some idle period without command sent to the ecobee API server, the ecobee server would send back a strange undocumented error code which the plugin would not know how to handle. The plugin would appear disconnected as it got error but would reconnect itself at the next poll without any intervention. If the same command is sent within a ~1s, the same error is sent back from the server.
My retry loop gives an interval of 2s before the next retry and appears to have resolved the issue. The server, it seems, once it spit the error once seems to reactivate and will not error for some time... until it does again. It seems very random and the only occasional correlation I found was the lack of commands sent to the server.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:44:20 pm by rafale77 »
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline denwood

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #857 on: January 26, 2019, 06:39:33 pm »
ah..my bad. I was a bit confused there for a minute ;-)

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #858 on: January 30, 2019, 04:11:05 pm »
Ecobee seems to be going through some serious server issues over the past couple of weeks. They may be victims of their own success and can't keep up... This is only encouraging me to clone their logic with the remote sensors and bring the whole thing into local processing...
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #859 on: February 15, 2019, 04:46:50 pm »
So I ended up doing it. I have replaced the ecobee3 and its 6 remote sensors with a remotec ZTS-500. It does not have a fancy lcd screen but has a similar style in black. I wrote a customized plugin to fully integrate with my house in terms of room windows, occupancy, temperature sensors, vents and energy savings through air cycling, technically outsmarting what the ecobee was doing. I already had a number of Zooz/Vision/Monoprice ZP3111-5 in the house so all this did was remove redundancy.

Conceptually, I wanted to be less cloud dependent and the lack of local API from ecobee combined with the recent server outages just pushed me over the edge.

The result is that I will have a hard time supporting this plugin from hereon since I am no longer using it...

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #860 on: February 16, 2019, 04:05:57 pm »
This is unfortunate but also completely understandable.  What is interesting is that over the last month, the latest plugin has been completely stable for me. I have not seen any server issues from my side. Not saying that problems did not occur when I was not watching, but at least the plugin seemed to have gracefully handled it.  Very much appreciate that you brought it this far.

Hopefully the other plugin stays supported and if needed I move to that,  or I may be eventually forced to go the same direction as you have.  The ecobee plugin is critical to several of my automation logic.
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline charettepa

« Reply #861 on: February 21, 2019, 12:36:22 pm »
please disregard my post

the plugin is working fine
i had another plugin that was malfunctioning
causing a luup reload every 5 minutes
this was somehow causing ecobee plugin to drop connection

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:18:18 pm by charettepa »

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #862 on: February 23, 2019, 01:03:12 pm »
please disregard my post

the plugin is working fine
i had another plugin that was malfunctioning
causing a luup reload every 5 minutes
this was somehow causing ecobee plugin to drop connection

Thank you for the update. That's good to know.

Offline watou

• Community Beta
« Reply #863 on: February 23, 2019, 01:19:17 pm »
@charettepa's experience is completely consistent with the longstanding Vera bug that does not save to disk device variables before exiting Luup, thereby repeatedly causing the refresh and access tokens to be lost.  If only Vera provided reliable device variable storage, retrieving a new PIN would probably never, ever be required.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #864 on: March 07, 2019, 12:42:38 am »
One more step to take in the direction of going all cloudless... Nest is having massive server outages now too which completely disables my nest protect smoke detectors. So ecobee is no longer the only one having problems... Lesson learned...

Offline Catman

« Reply #865 on: March 07, 2019, 01:00:15 am »
One more step to take in the direction of going all cloudless... Nest is having massive server outages now too which completely disables my nest protect smoke detectors. So ecobee is no longer the only one having problems... Lesson learned...

It was only a matter of time, I'm afraid.

One wonders what liability there would be if someone died during an outage.

C

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #866 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:07 pm »
The bigger problem is to find a good alternative... In the US, there are all kinds of waivers which come with the product so... yeah, not much liability. This was practically the last wifi/cloud device of importance I had left. I thought it had google behind it so server uptime would be less of a risk. So much for this idea.

Offline HSD99

« Reply #867 on: March 07, 2019, 12:45:40 pm »
The bigger problem is to find a good alternative... In the US, there are all kinds of waivers which come with the product so... yeah, not much liability. This was practically the last wifi/cloud device of importance I had left. I thought it had google behind it so server uptime would be less of a risk. So much for this idea.
Even with Google or AWS, the systems are so vast that network failure, hardware failure, load balancing/failover software failure, application software failure or simple human error can take a cloud service down for an indeterminate period. That's not supposed to be the case, but...

Offline Catman

« Reply #868 on: March 07, 2019, 12:45:47 pm »

Yeah, I'm not surprised by the waivers, but with your guy's legal system :)

We were seriouly impacted by the Azure outage last year.  No one is immune.

C

Offline HSD99

« Reply #869 on: March 07, 2019, 01:32:04 pm »
It's not just an issue of the legal system. Cloud vendors are dependant on the global internet for connectivity, even if they're AWS or Google. The waivers are to separate out responsibility. I have a business internet account with a major US MSO, and I get certain guarantees for uptime and performance that cover the parts of the network that the ISP owns. That's actually quite a lot, as this ISP operates top-tier backbones in addition to metro networks. But, if I can't reach a particular site due to a disruption that's not on their network, I'm out of luck. It's quite correctly not their problem.  The Amazon S3 problem from 2017 demonstrated just how many websites depended on S3 to function properly.