We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: VeraLite WAN/LAN IP's  (Read 4425 times)

Offline migi

VeraLite WAN/LAN IP's
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:04:49 pm »
Hi there,

I am thinking laud here.

Because of another issue I was asked to try to manually setup my VeraLite and here what confuses me.

I am getting two set of fields, even if the VeraLite has only one WAN port. So the fields are for WAN and LAN connections. However my VeraLite has only one ethernet port that is connected to the router. I would call it LAN rather then WAN.

Then by default I am getting the 192.168.81.x on the LAN network of the VeraLite, If I do change it to the same subnet as my home network, let's say 10.0.0.12 it works using the this IP address, but also WAN port of the VeraLite is on the same subnet 10.0.0.15 so both IPs are working on my routers LAN network.

I know that it's a bridge and if I do set those two IP's to be on the same network, both will work, but then why this bridge is needed at all on the VeraLite. Can there be a simple one LAN/WAN connection in such situations?

That would be correct if the VeraLite had LAN ports and serves as an internet gateway, but it hasn't so I think it can confuse some users.

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: VeraLite WAN/LAN IP's
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:39:50 pm »
I think that it's a consequence of MCV using the same network config scripts for both the Lite (which doesn't have a visible switch) and Vera 3 (which does).  Agreed, it's a bit silly for the Vera Lite to have configuration for both eth0 and eth0:0.

Offline migi

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:24:21 pm »
True.

I am just wondering if there is (imho must be) some performance/memory downsize of using vnic on veralite. It already has some limited memory/cpu capabilities. If vera is using virtual nic eth0:0 as primary interface (WAN) and eth0 as secondary (LAN), which is actually not "used" then we have another virtual layer of networking that is not necessary.

There could be an option on vera to find out if vera is capable of having two separate hardware interfaces and then enable/disable virtual one for such configurations. Or even simpler grepping in the /etc/init.d/* for the VeraLite gives a switch statement "MiCasaVerde VeraLite" so it's easy to differentiate this.

Offline Thiemen

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:54:33 pm »
Yeah it is strange, at the beginning i had problems when i wanted to configure the ip settings of the veralite manually. I ended up using automatic. I prefer they would just remove the setting and only let us configure one interface

Offline sirpinky

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 01:14:41 am »
Just a thought,

For people who messed up, and forgot which IP / network their vera is, possibly if they set it to static and not to get DHCP - in any case, it is always good to know I can hop back to the veralite other static IP network and always get to it, make what ever adjustments I need for the other network to work well.

Just a thought, I guess if you do not have DHCP server and working with static IP addresses, this would be the only way for you to be able to make initial contact with your box.

But, today - most everybody have DHCP in their routers so there is no real reason for one to mess up with static IP (I mean, if you want to so much - just make a reservation on your router).