We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Help with lighting control Layout/Design of Bedroom  (Read 839 times)

Offline y-it

Help with lighting control Layout/Design of Bedroom
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:50:43 pm »
Hello,
I'm still learning but thought I'd ask the pros to make sure I'm doing this without spending money on items I don't need.
I'm renovating a bedroom and would like to control the sconce lights near each bunk bed with a local switch at each bed, that way kids can turn on a light locally to read or whatever, but would like to override with a master switch next to the entry door to turn on both the general ceiling can lights with the sconce lights. I've attached my design.  My thought was to put load dimming switches at each bunk, plus next to the queen bed for wall lights, then a dimming switch at the entry door that would hopefully set a scene when you walked in and hit the on/off button? Does this sound do-able?
I think I would need 6 load wall switches in total.. right?

Offline DaveL17

Re: Help with lighting control Layout/Design of Bedroom
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:47:10 pm »
Should be do-able, but if I understand your proposed set up, it seems like it will require some coding.  See if I have this right.

1 Master Dimming Switch
2 Queen Bed Dimming Switches (one for each side)
3 Bunk Dimming Switches

That's 6 switches.

The programming is a little trickier.  You'd have to determine the present state of each load to know what to do when the switch is activated. I'll isolate on one bunk switch as an example. Kid gets in bed and hits the switch. There are several permutations I can think of off the bat:
  • If the light is off, turn the light on full.
  • If the light is off, ramp the light up.
  • If the light is on, ramp the light down.
  • If the light is on, turn the light off.

It seems like 6 switches is clear to me, but I think we'd need to know more about how you want to be able to use them to help with the programming logic.