Author Topic: A Touch Control Panel for Vera  (Read 14827 times)

Offline RexBeckett

• Master Member
A Touch Control Panel for Vera
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:27:44 am »
Is anyone else is looking for a smart-looking, permanent control panel for Vera that doesn't tie-up a PC or cost the earth? I recently added a budget, Chinese, tablet to my system and it works really well.

My tablet is a model C97 - no apparent maker's name -  has a 9.7" touch-screen, an Intel N2600 1.6GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, 2xUSB, Bluetooth, WLAN 802.11 B/G, 3G modem and came loaded with Windows 7 Ultimate. It can apparently also run WinXP, Win8, Ubuntu and Android. The 1024 x 768 display is clear and very bright (adjustable) and the touch-screen works very well.

I bought the tablet from an Ebay seller in Hong-Kong - there are several listed. It took a while to come but the price was OK.

I have found that Mozilla Firefox gives the best touch functionality with the Vera UI Dashboard.  IE8 works well with touch but doesn't like the Vera UI. I haven't tried IE9 yet - it is supposed to be designed for touch input.

I use VLC Media Player to announce events and confirm actions. See: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13619.msg101900.html#msg101900 The integrated speakers are plenty good enough for this. There is also a headphone jack for external speakers if required. My next move is to upgrade it to Win8 for even better touch control (although it works pretty well on Win7).

This was an easy addition that provides a convenient Vera control panel at a much lower cost than most touch tablets.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: A Touch Control Panel for Vera
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:50:39 am »
Pics or it didn't happen.   ;D

Offline RexBeckett

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »
There you go. Complete with my fingermarks.  ;D

Offline racarter

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:18:57 pm »
Indigo, Vera Edge (for Datamine only), Everspring and TKBHOME socket switches, SM103 door detectors, Homepro ZRP210 appliance modules, Fibaro relay switches, EZMotion, Heatmiser thermostats, Netatmo Weather, Camera and Healthy Home, Hikvision DVR/CCTV, Sonos, Texecom, Diax motorised deadlock.

Offline RexBeckett

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:47:01 pm »
@racarter,

That looks like a brilliant solution. I would imagine, with a bit of care in button design, it would have a very high WAF.  ;D  I did something similar on cheap PDAs (usually solutions looking for a problem) back in the X10 days...

The Vera UI isn't very pretty but I just upgraded my firmware with a few finger pokes.  8)

Offline kkl

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 04:11:51 pm »
I've thought about doing this, but don't want to see a power cord running down the wall.  I guess it could be fished inside a wall, but that's a pain even if there's an outlet in the same framing cavity, and the cord has to reappear somewhere.  Anyone come up with something creative that addresses this?

Offline RexBeckett

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:23:08 pm »
It may be a while before we get PoWiFi. When we do, it may also stop your cup of coffee going cold.  ;D

I've been looking for Dilithium Crystals or Unobtainium on Ebay. No luck yet so I'm stuck with wires.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 04:26:52 pm »
@RexBeckett - Sweet!

Have you seen the iPad in wall mount? They're very spendy, but they're beautiful!

I suspect that you tablet, or the Android ones with a similar frame and an app for Vera would be quite stunning.

Offline intveltr

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:42:24 pm »
That iPad mount is pretty but hardly low-cost :)  I did some quick work with a jigsaw and Dremel to mount an old iPhone into the wall: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12993.0.html  It looks a little rough up close; that plastic is hard and brittle, nasty stuff to work with.  I'm thinking it should be easy to create a custom frame on a 3d printer; I might get around to producing a few when I get around mounting more iPhones around the house.

@RexBeckett: Nice work!
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:20:30 pm »
@intveltr - You do good work

Offline RexBeckett

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 07:37:54 pm »
@intveltr,

That has to be the best use for an old iPhone (or a new one, for that matter) that I've seen. That's a very neat way to mount it. It also gives you a great excuse to buy/build a 3d printer!  :)

Offline Da_JoJo

• If something aint work, we can allways try n make
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:06:36 pm »
@intveltr,

That has to be the best use for an old iPhone (or a new one, for that matter) that I've seen. That's a very neat way to mount it. It also gives you a great excuse to buy/build a 3d printer!  :)
hurray ! actually someone found a use for a apple product lol
you can order 3D printed stuff over here in netherlands. its not that expensive at all. also there is  a 1000 euro 3D printer which uses 40 euro cardridges. now that you mention this i can have a friend of mine lookin into this as he has one :)
@topic
i use my old android phone with garretts authomationhd next to the couch. press VR and speak and it will be done lol. imho the best remotecontrol ever.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:10:14 pm by Da_JoJo »
Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline TaterTot

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 12:05:02 am »
I know there is the standard Android Vera apps out there (Home Buddy, AutHomation, etc.)...

But does anyone make an Android app with the "touch control tablet" in mind?

Something with big pretty buttons, a nice background, and full customization... and looks nice too (especially since we are talking about something permanently mounted on a wall running 24/7). 8)

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 07:35:01 am »
Something like Homewave (current only for IOS) will be very good...
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline Thomasss

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 06:36:22 pm »
I know there is the standard Android Vera apps out there (Home Buddy, AutHomation, etc.)...

But does anyone make an Android app with the "touch control tablet" in mind?

Something with big pretty buttons, a nice background, and full customization... and looks nice too (especially since we are talking about something permanently mounted on a wall running 24/7). 8)
Hi, this should be very cool. As far as I know there is no apps designed to be used "in-wall".
To be usable "in-wall", for my point view, here is the functionalities needed :
- password protection for reduce/exit the application
- password protection for scene/edition/... (alarm activation)
- Change screen on events (ie : doorbell, screen switch to fullscreen front door camera with open button)
- Being able to generate audio sound on events
- use the front camera to detect move and turn on the screen if needed.
- Have configurable nice and big screensaver (weather prediction, power usage, ipcam, or pictures slideshow)
- N2H, summing all the power meter of the room to show global room consumption on the room dashboard / default screen.

I think there is a real demand for that kind of app. I know that all actual Vera Apps have their pro and cons but they are mostly all designed for the same use. It could also include a nice interface for a not yet existing "virtual wake-up device".

Unfortunalty I can't do much more that giving ideas...